Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849
Results 721 to 734 of 734
  1. #721
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Genuine question, why do people like the idea that the amazons were sent to Paradise Island as a punishment rather than a simple blessing for a group of warriors in a world that didn't allow them to be happy. I'm not here to give counter argumentd, I just wanna hear you out

  2. #722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Genuine question, why do people like the idea that the amazons were sent to Paradise Island as a punishment rather than a simple blessing for a group of warriors in a world that didn't allow them to be happy. I'm not here to give counter argumentd, I just wanna hear you out
    I don't think the Amazons going to Themyscira should be a punishment. That was an element of Perez's reboot I could've done without.

    I do, however, like the presence of Doom's Doorway, and I assume your question relates to that. As said, Themyscira isn't and shouldn't be a punishment, and I don't see the Amazons tasked with guarding the Doorway as one. Just a duty/responsibility to go along with the isolated paradise they've been granted.

    It gives the Amazons a sense a purpose even in their isolation. It gives them motivation to train to be their very best at all times. I like the element of danger it represents that even in this paradise created for them, there is still something to be guarded against.

    It could play into Hippolyta's efforts to keep Diana from leaving.
    "What are you talking about going to the Man's World? We have a perfectly noble and necessary mission right here at home. So park your keister kiddo, and let's have no more 'I want to see the Man's World' crazy talk."

    It also opens potential story possibilities. Suppose a villain tries to break the Doorway open to harness the evil power within or just to watch the world burn.

    I emphasize again I don't see this as punishment. Although Doom's Doorway represents an element of danger and acts as a potential Pandora's box, I don't see guarding it as a high casualty duty. Maybe one or two close-calls in the thousands of years they've been on Themyscira, but not something that's been leaving a growing body count.
    They're just making sure a big scary door stays closed--it's not the front-line at Mordor.
    "Never place your trust in us. We're only human. Inevitably, we will disappoint you."


  3. #723
    The Last Dragon masterwitcher88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I don't think the Amazons going to Themyscira should be a punishment. That was an element of Perez's reboot I could've done without.

    I do, however, like the presence of Doom's Doorway, and I assume your question relates to that. As said, Themyscira isn't and shouldn't be a punishment, and I don't see the Amazons tasked with guarding the Doorway as one. Just a duty/responsibility to go along with the isolated paradise they've been granted.

    It gives the Amazons a sense a purpose even in their isolation. It gives them motivation to train to be their very best at all times. I like the element of danger it represents that even in this paradise created for them, there is still something to be guarded against.

    It could play into Hippolyta's efforts to keep Diana from leaving.
    "What are you talking about going to the Man's World? We have a perfectly noble and necessary mission right here at home. So park your keister kiddo, and let's have no more 'I want to see the Man's World' crazy talk."

    It also opens potential story possibilities. Suppose a villain tries to break the Doorway open to harness the evil power within or just to watch the world burn.

    I emphasize again I don't see this as punishment. Although Doom's Doorway represents an element of danger and acts as a potential Pandora's box, I don't see guarding it as a high casualty duty. Maybe one or two close-calls in the thousands of years they've been on Themyscira, but not something that's been leaving a growing body count.
    They're just making sure a big scary door stays closed--it's not the front-line at Mordor.
    My feelings are the same, I don't see it as a punishment just a task or responsibility. I don't always paint Azzerello in a good light, for good reason, but its hard to disagree with his statement about Paradise Island, if its paradise where is the story or something like that, I'm paraphrasing. Obviously, I don't think the island needs to be over run by demons every now and again but, stuff needs to happen, it needs to be more then just an oasis or a heaven.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

  4. #724
    Astonishing Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    My feelings are the same, I don't see it as a punishment just a task or responsibility. I don't always paint Azzerello in a good light, for good reason, but its hard to disagree with his statement about Paradise Island, if its paradise where is the story or something like that, I'm paraphrasing. Obviously, I don't think the island needs to be over run by demons every now and again but, stuff needs to happen, it needs to be more then just an oasis or a heaven.
    Perez said his Paradise Island wasn't just a Club Med for Amazons. They need a purpose for being there, be it Doom's Doorway, incarcerating Ares, or something else.

  5. #725
    Astonishing Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,053

    Default

    Also it gives them a story arc, once the monsters are freed and inevitably defeated, the Amazons melt their weapons and begin to live a life of peace and begin to truly engage even more with the outside world.

  6. #726
    Superman and Wonder Woman
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Duuuuuvvaaalll!!!
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Genuine question, why do people like the idea that the amazons were sent to Paradise Island as a punishment rather than a simple blessing for a group of warriors in a world that didn't allow them to be happy. I'm not here to give counter argumentd, I just wanna hear you out
    They were sent there as a punishment? Hm, must've missed that in Perez's story.

  7. #727
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    It felt like a punishment to me, but it's fine for you to disagree

    IMG_20210804_103857.jpg

  8. #728
    Spectacular Member HestiasHearth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Themyscira
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Very disrespectful to the sacred texts brought to us by Tom Taylor here, Vordan.

    There isn't a single reference to her wanting to hump Clark's bones. Completely out of character.

    (Damn, this series had some bad art)
    "Im the spirit of truth; that makes anything I say right."


    Wh...whaaaaaaat?
    Are you sure that is not a MAD Magazine parody of a comic book?
    Nobody could come up with such bad dialogue and claim it is a serious narrative...right?

  9. #729
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    "Im the spirit of truth; that makes anything I say right."


    Wh...whaaaaaaat?
    Are you sure that is not a MAD Magazine parody of a comic book?
    Nobody could come up with such bad dialogue and claim it is a serious narrative...right?
    It’s a parody of Injustice and Tom Taylor’s characterization of WW as Superman’s “devil on the shoulder”/love sick school girl.

    This the actual dialogue, not that it’s much better.


  10. #730
    Superman and Wonder Woman
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Duuuuuvvaaalll!!!
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It felt like a punishment to me, but it's fine for you to disagree

    IMG_20210804_103857.jpg
    You're right. It's been a while since I read that. I prefer the Amazons achieving great feats of science. No idea what's wrong with that.

  11. #731
    Superman and Wonder Woman
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Duuuuuvvaaalll!!!
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Injustice WW and Superman summarized in three panels lmao:

    You made me almost puke.

  12. #732
    Incredible Member Primal Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Having them be sent to PI as a punishment just adds more to the story for some. I like it to be an even 50/50.

  13. #733
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It’s a parody of Injustice and Tom Taylor’s characterization of WW as Superman’s “devil on the shoulder”/love sick school girl.

    This the actual dialogue, not that it’s much better.

    Wonder Supersimp is the worst take. Jesus.
    May we never forget:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

  14. #734
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Wonder Supersimp is the worst take. Jesus.
    Taylor didn't earn the worst Wonder Woman writer title for nothing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •