Page 189 of 344 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 5153

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's certainly her most memorable. Like you said she operated out of it the longest. Like i said you cant grow something if you don't use it.

It doesn't matter how good a run is. No one has said it makes stories better
    How exactly was it memorable? It was used in one run and hardly gets spoken of at all. Boston and Washington are discussed far more, if only because they were used in more popular runs. Gateway isn't even the third most memorable city in Wonder Woman. At this rate, I think London would be more memorable based on the movie.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How exactly was it memorable? It was used in one run and hardly gets spoken of at all. Boston and Washington are discussed far more, if only because they were used in more popular runs. Gateway isn't even the third most memorable city in Wonder Woman. At this rate, I think London would be more memorable based on the movie.
    The fact that we remember it. Especially being a fake city. It's also discussed plenty when talking about where to settle WW doen.

But it's not.

It's only brought up because it's the only option for folks obsessed with giving WW a fake city. It's Bludhaven with even less charm, and that's a city with no charm to begin with.

Incredible Member

I've always liked D.C. for Wonder Woman. It's where the character started with Marston, where the tv show was set, where 1984 was set, Wonder Woman Bloodlines was set, and where her current run has been sent for most of its run. The Greek architecture, the politics, Embassy Island, Argus makes sense in DC, it feels like the perfect city for a hero that is just as impactful in the real world as she is in her fictional world.

I think London works, too, because of the Justice League movies and Azzarello.

Lastly, I like Paris because of the first Wonder Woman movie, and I like the idea of Wondy working at the Louvre.

At this point, I think too much of her major outside media connects Wonder Woman to D.C. for a fictional city to stick. Let's see where Patty sets Wonder Woman III

Presently, GEORGETOWN, where Greg Rucka set Etta's house, ..offers a unique storytelling opportunity in it being a district, inside Washington, DC.

Suppose stories showed Janus or Q Fables turn Washington into a prehistoric wasteland full of dragons in a previous run. Writer X could establish that Etta, Steve and the rest are in a separate fictional, neighboring city...Georgetown, often confused with the district in DC. Furthermore, X could establish that they'd always been there ..and just go on with whatever story, they wished to tell.

One of my problems with setting WW stories in DC or another real-world city is that the whole DCU can use it, however they please - President Luthor, alien invasions, etc. I don't think WW writers can obliterate Metropolis or Gotham, with the same abandon. You really have to throw reality out the window to manage it.

Comparatively, the fictional iconic city does give writers a measure of storytelling freedom, th hey wouldn't have, without it.

Imagine another scenario...after all the DCU crossover event dust settles, Writer Z decides to treat Georgetown as a district in Washington again, to fit whatever story they're telling. Easypeezy! I read that DC Comics editors used to treat stories in New York City and Metropolis, in a similar fashion - as with the settings for stories about Guardian and Newsboy Legion or Black Lightning. Having Gotham and Metropolis so closely associated with NYC gave them a lot of wiggle room to keep their respective stories, straight.

The super-real Washington of H. G. Peter really was something to see, in the 40s. An artist would have to be really imaginative to pull something off like that, today.

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-30-2022 at 03:27 PM. Reason: graphic added
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    But it's not.

It's only brought up because it's the only option for folks obsessed with giving WW a fake city. It's Bludhaven with even less charm, and that's a city with no charm to begin with.
    Bludhaven has made its mark. And who cares if its brought up by those that want to give Diana a fake city. She lives in a UNIVERSE that has fake cities. Majority of DCs best known characters hail from FAKE cities. She isn't above a fake city.

She's from a fake island or should we put that down as well because its not real lol

Bludhaven has made its mark. And who cares if its brought up by those that want to give Diana a fake city. She lives in a UNIVERSE that has fake cities. Majority of DCs best known characters hail from FAKE cities. She isn't above a fake city.

She's from a fake island or should we put that down as well because its not real lol
    Themyscira is one of the main things in DC, and superhero fiction in general, that actually makes Diana standout from other heroes, I'm sure there's similar things in DC to it but they are distant second place. Like what Oa, Asgard, and Wakanda are for their respective characters.

Gateway is just another comicbook city that didn't even originate with Diana, it was the Spectre's. I'm not even particularly anti-Gateway, I just don't view it (or fake cities in general) as inherently superior to when real ones are used especially when in WW's case she's done fine (excelled even) with real ones.

It's never been said that fakes are superior just that heroes having a home city is very popular and part of building up their universes. It's something Diana has lacked. Same with a homebade, supporting cast, all that jazz

It's never been said that fakes are superior just that heroes having a home city is very popular and part of building up their universes. It's something Diana has lacked. Same with a homebade, supporting cast, all that jazz
    You keep saying that it's popular, yet the fact Gateway failed to make any meaningful splash beyond Byrne's run proves this is very much not always the case.

You keep saying that it's popular, yet the fact Gateway failed to make any meaningful splash beyond Byrne's run proves this is very much not always the case.
    I keep saying? I dont keep saying its popular. I say its memorable. I talk about it when someone quotes me and responds.

I DO SAY that heroes having cities is popular. That's different than what ive said about Gateway.

If we want to talk about making a splash....barely anything in WW makes a splash because they throw out everything and everyone. Cassie, Nemesis, the Gorillas, list goes on about who and what doesn't make it beyond certain runs.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 11-30-2022 at 12:30 PM.

As I said, I'm not totally sold on her having a city, but I so badly wish we'd gotten Legend of WW book 2. De Liz's vision for Gateway City seemed soooo cool and could've actually given it personality and purpose. It's a literal giant (possibly magic?) gateway!

Bringing a kind of magical realist/urban fantasy sensibility to it would do a lot to set it apart. Like, the kind of vibe that would welcome the prospect of a minotaur chef and an embassy with a portal to Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    As I said, I'm not totally sold on her having a city, but I so badly wish we'd gotten Legend of WW book 2. De Liz's vision for Gateway City seemed soooo cool and could've actually given it personality and purpose. It's a literal giant (possibly magic?) gateway!

Bringing a kind of magical realist/urban fantasy sensibility to it would do a lot to set it apart. Like, the kind of vibe that would welcome the prospect of a minotaur chef and an embassy with a portal to Themyscira.
    Gateway as an urban magic city would have given it a chance of sticking around. That at least makes it stand out as a location the same way Gotham being a mix of noir/cyberpunk/horror helps define it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post

That's an interesting concept! Scott, Mizuno and I have been talking about a 'gateway' Gateway City, for almost half a decade. Good sketch, too.

Don't you think the Amazon Embassy would have fit much better, off the coastline of GATEWAY CITY?

I was like...Steve Orlando--Boston?! How could you not drop that beside Gateway? It's like the energy for Boston embassy is off, somehow. It's not right...organic? I really like the idea of Diana settling out West anyway, and preferably AWAY from anything urban, ..but, big cities are the trend in the DCU and have been, since the Golden Age.

Hate the idea of Urban Avenger Wonder Woman. That just doesn't work for me.

And frankly, a big, weird and iconic ARGUS Central, with Old World styling...? I can totally see both the Amazon Embassy and my ARGUS thing fitting in Gateway.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-30-2022 at 04:39 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Incredible Member

So basically Sunnydale?

I guess they could say there's a second Doom's Doorway wherever this city is to justify Diana making that her protectorate and give it a degree or weirdness/mysticism.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    That's an interesting concept! Scott, Mizuno and I have been talking about a 'gateway' Gateway City, for almost half a decade. Good sketch, too.

Don't you think the Amazon Embassy would have fit much better, off the coastline of GATEWAY CITY?

I was like...Steve Orlando--Boston?! How could you not drop that beside Gateway? It's like the energy for Boston embassy is off, somehow. It's not right...organic? I really like the idea of Diana settling out West anyway, and preferably AWAY from anything urban, ..but, big cities are the trend in the DCU and have been, since the Golden Age.

Hate the idea of Urban Avenger Wonder Woman. That just doesn't work for me.

And frankly, a big, weird and iconic ARGUS Central, with Old World styling...? I can totally see both the Amazon Embassy and my ARGUS thing fitting in Gateway.
    But don't Argus and Amazon Embassy fit perfectly well in the DMV, right now. I don't see why we need a fictional city to incorporate things that are already incorporated in the current Wonderverse. As for the literal Gateway, that does look cool, but it a world of Boom Tubes, mass teleportation, portals, invisible islands, etc., I don't think that would be the gamechanger for Diana that you believe.