Page 74 of 91 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1351
  1. #1096
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    28,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well She-Ra and Korra actually got to kiss girls. Diana can’t even do that, her “LGBT” status is on pretty thin ice. How she can “represent” a group that she’s never actually shown to be a part of because DC is scared of backlash? They’re cowards who want kudos without actually doing anything meaningful in terms of depicting her sexuality as what they imply it is.
    Korra didn't kiss any girls on her show. If Diana's LGBT status is on thin ice, Korra's should have sunk into the water by that standard.

  2. #1097
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    13,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Korra didn't kiss any girls on her show. If Diana's LGBT status is on thin ice, Korra's should have sunk into the water by that standard.
    Right I forgot they didn’t kiss in the cartoon. But they have in the comics which is still more than Diana has done at this point. I know Korra and Asami being together is a major part of the Korra comics, so I do think that Korra as an LGBT icon is valid even though claiming the cartoon was a watershed moment for gay rep is crap.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  3. #1098
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Everyone loves to mention the Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman animated series, but y'all are forgetting the successful DC Super Hero Girls TV series. Just because it isn't as sophisticated as the aforementioned shows, and maybe can't be enjoyed by adults as much as its enjoyed by children, doesn't mean it doesn't count. Wonder Woman is still the primary protagonist of the show, and it also features Cheetah and Giganta in regular roles.

    Would I prefer a legit WW: TAS? Of course, but let's not undersell Wonder Woman as her own trailblazer, even for today's youth.
    DC Superhero Girls is definitely a show I appreciate for what it is, especially since it doesn’t fall back on overly obnoxious jokes and characters screaming at each other 24/7. I’m not an avid watcher of the show, but it’s definitely something I would have been into when I was younger.

    I was mostly referring to action cartoons, which where very popular in the early 2000’s. Now kids cartoons are mostly comedies. Which isn’t bad, but I do think it’s funny how adult cartoons, which where mostly comedies, are now action and kids cartoons are mostly comedies.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  4. #1099
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well She-Ra and Korra actually got to kiss girls. Diana can’t even do that, her “LGBT” status is on pretty thin ice. How she can “represent” a group that she’s never actually shown to be a part of because DC is scared of backlash? They’re cowards who want kudos without actually doing anything meaningful in terms of depicting her sexuality as what they imply it is.
    I'm not arguing against her being able to kiss a girl on-screen although I think it doesn't help that her main love interest is still a guy (unlike in She-Ra and Korra where the engdame ship was with a female character).

    Like Catwoman being bisexual hasn't really been a factor at all in her character because she's usually shown pining for or hooking up with Batman although I think the new writer for her solo is planning on making it more queer.

  5. #1100
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Its the discussion im having. I never stated comic story, i said stories. The general public can likely tell you more about Superman vs. Zod, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Bizzaro then they can tell yoi about Wonder Woman vs Cheetah before this movie.

    Superman always be the #1 superhero but he can barely sell a movie nowadays and that's a problem
    What makes you think the general public could say much about Brainiac?

  6. #1101
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    13,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    What makes you think the general public could say much about Brainiac?
    The LEGO games, DCUO, Injustice 2 and the upcoming SS game feature him. He was in Krypton and a big player in the DCAU. Hasn’t made the jump to the big screen but he’s pretty well known.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  7. #1102
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The LEGO games, DCUO, Injustice 2 and the upcoming SS game feature him. He was in Krypton and a big player in the DCAU. Hasn’t made the jump to the big screen but he’s pretty well known.
    I am not sure if that is enough, i have the feeling Cheetah is more known among the general public who don't reads comics than Brainiac, Zod or Bizzaro let alone Lex Luthor are way different calibers.

  8. #1103
    Extraordinary Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Korra didn't kiss any girls on her show. If Diana's LGBT status is on thin ice, Korra's should have sunk into the water by that standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Right I forgot they didnít kiss in the cartoon. But they have in the comics which is still more than Diana has done at this point. I know Korra and Asami being together is a major part of the Korra comics, so I do think that Korra as an LGBT icon is valid even though claiming the cartoon was a watershed moment for gay rep is crap.
    They couldn't kiss on the show because of the execs. The canon tie in comics by the shows creators has them act explicitly as a couple, coming out to their friends and family and even explored the LGBT history of the different Nations. They even confirmed that Kya and Kyoshi were lesbian and bisexual respectively. Oh and Kiyoshi had a girlfriend as well. That's way more than anything DC has done with Diana's bi sexuality after they had her come out.


  9. #1104
    Extraordinary Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    There is a possibility we will since people still reference Wonder Woman being on the first cover of MS. Magazine from 1972 almost 50 years ago. Also, not only was Wonder Woman featured in Smithsonian Magazine, but it also has a Smithsonian Wonder Woman Collection.

    I think what you're saying about She-Ra and Korra are awesome. More representation for LGBT youth is wonderful. I'm not certain how them being great for LGBT youth negates that Wonder Woman is also an icon for LGBT individuals.
    The point is that animated shows and movies tend to reach out to a wider audience than comic books.

    It's not that Korra and She-Ra negates Diana's LGBT status, just that they're respective stewards have done more to reach out to LGBT audiences and push the boundaries for female led action shows than DC/WB allows WW to do.

    It would be great if we could have a future wherein all three could be counted amongst as great representation. I know folks will bring up the movies for WW but I'm sorry, they are good but still flawed.

  10. #1105
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    13,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    I am not sure if that is enough, i have the feeling Cheetah is more known among the general public who don't reads comics than Brainiac, Zod or Bizzaro let alone Lex Luthor are way different calibers.
    I’d say Bizarro and Brainiac are on the same caliber. They’re well known basically right below the main arches, hell their names are part of English lexicon because of how well known the characters are. For WW Circe is basically on that tier, people are vaguely familiar about Circe but don’t know specifics.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  11. #1106
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d say Bizarro and Brainiac are on the same caliber. They’re well known basically right below the main arches, hell their names are part of English lexicon because of how well known the characters are. For WW Circe is basically on that tier, people are vaguely familiar about Circe but don’t know specifics.
    Ehhh, not sure I would put Circe that high. At this point, I think more people know about Dr. Psycho than Circe.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  12. #1107
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d say Bizarro and Brainiac are on the same caliber. They’re well known basically right below the main arches, hell their names are part of English lexicon because of how well known the characters are. For WW Circe is basically on that tier, people are vaguely familiar about Circe but don’t know specifics.
    Bizzaro yeah, but i don't think many truly think on a Superman villain if they say Brainiac, and i don't think Circe is even as well known as Brainiac, which is just yet another thing DC should be ashamed of.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 10-20-2021 at 05:48 PM.

  13. #1108
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Ehhh, not sure I would put Circe that high. At this point, I think more people know about Dr. Psycho than Circe.
    Thanks to the HQ cartoon, probably. Circe's biggest media appearances were that infamous JLU episode and one Justice League Action episode.

  14. #1109
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thanks to the HQ cartoon, probably. Circe's biggest media appearances were that infamous JLU episode and one Justice League Action episode.
    She was also the main villain of the Magic path (the hero being WW, natch) in DC Universe Online, which is semi-big (at least bigger than Justice League Action, I'd say).

    But yeah, Dr. Psycho is probably the third most well-known villain after Cheetah and Giganta (maybe Ares would be #3 simply because of the movie).

  15. #1110
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    She was also the main villain of the Magic path (the hero being WW, natch) in DC Universe Online, which is semi-big (at least bigger than Justice League Action, I'd say).

    But yeah, Dr. Psycho is probably the third most well-known villain after Cheetah and Giganta (maybe Ares would be #3 simply because of the movie).
    Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but Max Lord is most assuredly the #2 spot for "Diana's most well known villains" category. We comic nerd know his true place, but not the general public...
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •