Page 34 of 341 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I thought this 2010 article from Fox News was pretty interesting. Long story short they like the pants but hate removing the patriotism from Wonder Woman's costume in favor of something more "global". Surprise, surprise.
    I would describe the Odyssey costume as "boring" with it's black leather jacket and pants combo, myself. It also reeks of being street wear, which also makes Diana seem like a street level hero (which is at the opposite end of "global"). I likewise dislike Zatanna's leather pants street wear outfit she's had in JLD. It's far too plain clothes and normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    something similar happened with the attempt to change the thong for pants on the new 52, ​​and also in the frustrated TV show. It is clear that someone, call it fans or the media, does not want to see her wear pants.
    I feel that the xena styled battle skirt is much better compromise if you think the classic bottoms are too silly or whatever while retaining her overall look and also being consistent with a greek mythology theme. It took until the movie people actually settled on that for the comics to come to the same realization.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Diana's costume being modelled after the American flag never made any sense since she isn't American in-universe.
    I kind of liked Simone's run where the costume was give an alternative Themysciran meaning behind it's motiffs.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I feel that the xena styled battle skirt is much better compromise if you think the classic bottoms are too silly or whatever while retaining her overall look and also being consistent with a greek mythology theme. It took until the movie people actually settled on that for the comics to come to the same realization.
    The movie also had her wearing wedges instead of heels on her boots. Why would she wear wedges? It should have been flat in my opinion, no wedges or heels.

Diana's costume being modelled after the American flag never made any sense since she isn't American in-universe.
    I like the patriotism. It always bugs me when people say it doesn't make sense, as if immigrants can't be full-fledged Americans.

Personally, I don't think the short pants are silly, in fact I love them. The subject of what Diana wears is not a big deal to me. I like that she wears different clothes like in Messners or Orlando runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I like the patriotism. It always bugs me when people say it doesn't make sense, as if immigrants can't be full-fledged Americans.
    I'm not american but I don't think of Diana as an american either. She came to our world to discover the world, not America, and while she has spent a lot of time there, she's always travelling around. Heck, the ideals she is trying to teach the world are those of her island, not of America. When she was an ambassador to Themyscira her nationality was obviously Themysciran, not american (like actual amabassadors in the real world).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

When Hippolyta wanted her to appeal to Americans, it made sense. But take that away...why would she show up to Mans World with their colors?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    The movie also had her wearing wedges instead of heels on her boots. Why would she wear wedges? It should have been flat in my opinion, no wedges or heels.
    In universe it doesnt make much sense but of course, for blocking purposes, having Gal next to two men who are over 6ft tall, they don't want her to look short. And to give the appearance of amazons being taller than what the actresses actually are.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 06-14-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Incredible Member

Eric Luke, who did a pretty good but overlooked and underrated Wonder Woman run back in the 90's(#139-#159) did an interview where he talks about it a little. The part where they talk about Wonder Woman is from about 36:00 to 58:30.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os6aG9TjWoQ

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It's...nice? Very busy...very very busy. one to many colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's...nice? Very busy...very very busy. one to many colors.
    On another site I go to, it was joked with this McFarlane clearly misses he can't make Angela toys anymore.

Some leaks a while back suggest there will probably be a variant with more traditional colors but that doesn't save the overall design imo.

Eric Luke, who did a pretty good but overlooked and underrated Wonder Woman run back in the 90's(#139-#159) did an interview where he talks about it a little. The part where they talk about Wonder Woman is from about 36:00 to 58:30.
    So Luke read the original 5 issues of Wonder Woman, didn’t see Diana’s “villain equivalent” of “Joker” or “Luthor” and created Devastation to be that equivalent?

Bro, he was one comic away…should have read the first 6.

(Rest of the interview was cool too. Interesting stuff.
    That part just stuck out to me since I never pegged Devastation as anything remotely in that nemesis range. She felt like another writers “pet villain” type to me.)
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 06-14-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Never read his run but some stuff I've seen of it makes me wish it'd get collected some day. I think it's the only major run from Vol.2 that's never been collected in some form.

WW PATRIOTISM.jpg

Agreed, you don't have to be born in the United States to respect American ideals. In fact I'd suspect someone who had to strive to get here and studied our history for an American citizenship test would be more patriotic than many natives.

WW PATRIOT 3.jpg

WW PATRIOTIC 2.jpg

Also this was my first issue of Wonder Woman so it probably influenced my feelings on the subject.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 06-14-2021 at 01:41 PM.

The flag colours only made sense in the Golden Age when Diana was off to participate in WW2 even then it had more to do with the real world attitude of the time combined with the patriotism.

Nowadays it makes more sense to play up Diana's greek side more and the flag elements being there due to being inspired by Trevor's medals.