Page 336 of 345 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,040 of 5161
    Incredible Member

The invisible jet used to be her homebase. It was a living....substance that could mould itself, and was a big floating base for her called the Wonder Dome. I think that was the only attempt ever made to give her a hideout, unless you count the Embassy, which I don't.

Arguably Paradise Island itself was a hideout back in pre crisis. Nobody aside from the Amazons knew where it was. She would go there for help whenever the need arose. And the coolest thing was being able to explore it and find what secrets it held.

But yeah, the Wonder Dome was certainly that. Even came with Chiron as a butler.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    This whole conversation about the invisible plane reminds me of a question I've always had: did Diana ever have her equivalent of Superman's Fortress of Solitude and Batman's Batcave?
    There was the Wonder Dome in the late-90s but probably fair to say Themyscira pretty much acts as that on top of being the “Gotham/Smallville/Krypton/Metropolis” of Wonder Woman’s world.

Someone at reddit did an update the graphs WW writers by how many issues they've written. Blue are men, purple are women.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WonderWoman...edited_wonder/

Last edited by Gaius; 03-27-2024 at 01:40 PM.

And Eric Luke was one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Someone at reddit did an update the graphs WW writers by how many issues they've written. Blue are men, purple are women.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WonderWoman...edited_wonder/

The Rucka/Conway (their runs happened with a big stretch of time in-between) and Marston (he only for 4 years, but his succesors used his notes for a while) accounts are kinda tricky

Still amazed by how many times DC kept making Conway write Wonder Woman despite him still not being able to deliver, you can really tell editorial was running out of writers for her.

I keep hoping Tom King stays for a while, maybe for a 4 year-run like he did on Batman, if it isn't too much to ask for? But also, my biggest hope is for DC to keep investing money on big artists and writers for the tile after King and Sampere leave. Usually with superheroes editorials tend to do the oposite, but DC has a chance to keep the momentum on the series for the whole decade if they act smart.

Also, when britanny Holzherr own run on Wonder Woman series ends, it will be interesting to make a restrospective review. She has supervised many mediocre runs (Willow Wilson, Tamaki, the wonderverse events) but also some lights (Orlando, Tom King). Can tell tho that it has kinda been an improvement, since she took on when Robinson left the writing credits. On the rights and the lefts, I guess. Alltho, I apreciate having the same editor for 6 years straight at this point, it's hard to find an editor sticking for so long on a superhero comic nowadays.

Fantastic Member

Question/asking for help: I remember Geoff Johns saying he didn’t get Wonder Woman until he started reading her old runs such as Perez for Darkseid War (I believe). Does anybody know where he said that?

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Question/asking for help: I remember Geoff Johns saying he didn’t get Wonder Woman until he started reading her old runs such as Perez for Darkseid War (I believe). Does anybody know where he said that?
    Searching for decade old comic interviews are a PITA but here's some from preserved from here. That kind of get at that.

From a lost newsarama interview.

She was always going to be a major character in "Darkseid War," and honestly, the main character. And when Jason and I first started on the book together and were working on "The Amazo Virus," she just started to bubble up as a character that… Jay just drew her so powerful and strong and exciting. I just started to focus in on her more and more and more.

ut she was always going to play a big role in "Darkseid War," she's going to take center stage because of the nature of the storyline and the thematics we were playing with and the characters we were playing with. And she's been an amazing character to write.

I kind of fell in love with her all over again and went back and read all these great runs of hers by so many great writers and artists. And it's an interesting character to explore, because I think she's incredibly complex and incredibly intriguing. There are a lot of facets to her that I gravitate toward, and Jay's the same exact way. And we found ourselves talking a lot about that character.

Every scene she's in, it just feels like there's an extra layer of complexity to what she's doing, her actions — everything's so thought through with a perspective that I don't think any of the other League members have.

So really, that's what we're trying to do is elevate that character and explore that character, and have fun with Wonder Woman.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ht=geoff+johns

from Geoff Johns' Twitter page:

Geoff Johns ‏@geoffjohns 9h9 hours ago
    @NowAdeas WW 170 is one from the great @Philjimeneznyc -- I am re-reading his run right now. Very inspirational.
    3 retweets 16 favorites
    Reply Retweet3 Favorited16

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Searching for decade old comic interviews are a PITA but here's some from preserved from here. That kind of get at that.

From a lost newsarama interview.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ht=geoff+johns
    Thank you! Yeah that is a pain to find. I would say this explain it find if you think about it a little and shows a clearer picture.

I noticed over on Twitter the argument/debate over how old Diana should be has cropped up again. I don't want to get into it here, because we've already had that discussion more than once, but something I find peculiar is how, for many people, it's apparently "either, or" when it comes to her age.

She can either be hundreds/thousands of years old and operating as Wonder Woman since one of the World Wars (or earlier), OR she's barely twenty years old and only becomes Wonder Woman after Superman, Batman and the entire Justice League have already been long established.
    I just find it odd she can only be one or the other for these people. Diana first appearing around the same time as Supes and Bats while being their same approximate age is apparently unfathomable for some reason.

Something else I've noticed is, when asked to explain why, for a lot of them it just comes down to essentially nostalgia.
    Diana needs to be a young rookie because that's how she was Post-Crisis and/or the DCAU and that's the Diana they grew up with. Or she needs to be thousands of years old because that's how it was in the movie. I know the 2017 movie isn't old, but there's definitely a "This was my first exposure to the character and therefore she must always be like that forever" mentality which is the next-door neighbor to nostalgia.

Very few base their opinions on what they feel is best for Diana herself and her world. Which isn't unique to Wonder Woman really, but it's shame how much of superhero comics is dictated by chasing someone's nebulous, shallow nostalgic feeling that most people don't share, even when it's detrimental to the character.

If not nostalgia, then accommodating Superman or Batman or someone else, which is a whole other problem.

On a somewhat related note, and maybe this is a controversial take, but I feel like Donna Troy's origin/backstory--whatever it may be--should be taylored to fit into Diana's timeline and not the other way around.
    That was something else. Someone said Diana should be the same age as Donna--and therefore the same age as Dick Grayson and the Titans--in order for Donna's origin to still make sense.

All due respect Donna fans, but I don't think Diana's history should be mucked around with in order for Donna's age to sync up with Robin and the Titans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I noticed over on Twitter the argument/debate over how old Diana should be has cropped up again. I don't want to get into it here, because we've already had that discussion more than once, but something I find peculiar is how, for many people, it's apparently "either, or" when it comes to her age.

She can either be hundreds/thousands of years old and operating as Wonder Woman since one of the World Wars (or earlier), OR she's barely twenty years old and only becomes Wonder Woman after Superman, Batman and the entire Justice League have already been long established.
    I just find it odd she can only be one or the other for these people. Diana first appearing around the same time as Supes and Bats while being their same approximate age is apparently unfathomable for some reason.

Something else I've noticed is, when asked to explain why, for a lot of them it just comes down to essentially nostalgia.
    Diana needs to be a young rookie because that's how she was Post-Crisis and/or the DCAU and that's the Diana they grew up with. Or she needs to be thousands of years old because that's how it was in the movie. I know the 2017 movie isn't old, but there's definitely a "This was my first exposure to the character and therefore she must always be like that forever" mentality which is the next-door neighbor to nostalgia.

Very few base their opinions on what they feel is best for Diana herself and her world. Which isn't unique to Wonder Woman really, but it's shame how much of superhero comics is dictated by chasing someone's nebulous, shallow nostalgic feeling that most people don't share, even when it's detrimental to the character.

If not nostalgia, then accommodating Superman or Batman or someone else, which is a whole other problem.

On a somewhat related note, and maybe this is a controversial take, but I feel like Donna Troy's origin/backstory--whatever it may be--should be taylored to fit into Diana's timeline and not the other way around.
    That was something else. Someone said Diana should be the same age as Donna--and therefore the same age as Dick Grayson and the Titans--in order for Donna's origin to still make sense.

All due respect Donna fans, but I don't think Diana's history should be mucked around with in order for Donna's age to sync up with Robin and the Titans.
    Honestly I don't care if she is 23 or 2300. However she should not be the same age as Nightwing or Donna as the discussion on Twitter is going.

Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl the same age? How does that make any logical sense?

Bleeding Cool ran a story about DC looking for new Batman editor and mentioned that #150 might get delayed due to Absolute Power event. Would be kinda crazy if WW's ongoing was also replaced by that Absolute Power tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

I don't think it's just solely whatever the first incarnation you're introduced to is, sometimes it can be a run you particularly latch onto even if it wasn't you're first. New 52 WW was the first run I actually followed but I find the post-Crisis runs of Perez and Rucka far superior while likewise having no strong affinity for the Golden Age/Pre-Crisis. No real wrong answer, just a matter of preference.

I agree completely in regards to Donna. I don't really consider her a WW character in the first place and why I don't take claims post-Crisis was negative for WW seriously, if she's going to be around than her origin takes secondary concern.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-02-2024 at 03:31 PM.