Page 169 of 343 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 5138

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Just to be clear, do you mean the aftermath of the neck snap? Because Johns didn't write the neck snap.
    The scene itself wasn't written by him, but Infinite Crisis was a Geoff Johns joint. Considering how awkwardly all of the OMAC/IC stuff was shoehorned into Rucka's run (and how many plot threads were abandoned just as they were getting juicy), I highly doubt it was his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Just to be clear, do you mean the aftermath of the neck snap? Because Johns didn't write the neck snap.
    Yes, just easier shorthand.

Though the neck snap had a lot of cooks in the kitchen BTS since it was part of the buildup to IC. Rucka's original pitch didn't have Lord be the one who was killed.

As I recall, Rucka originally pitched a story involving Diana in a situation where she has to kill a man (not Max). She turns herself in to the authorities, and Superman & Batman actually plot to bust her out, having complete faith in her and her judgment despite their respective "no kill" principles. She appreciates their efforts but insists she's going to cooperate and see this through. Meanwhile, the Amazons retaliate on her behalf and demonstrate they can easily overthrew the US government if they really want.

I don't remember the details, but the story ends with Diana being cleared of the charges and everything more or less working out.

Then Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio decided to tie it in with Infinite Crisis and make a huge thing out of it. Max Lord became the subject of neck snappage, and the MELODRAMA gets ramped up to eleven with Bruce and Clark being utterly disgusted with Diana's actions. It gets turned into a "Wonder Woman isn't human and that's why she needs a secret identity" thing. And the stuff with the Amazons was later became Amazons Attack, which......oof.

So Greg Rucka's original idea, which would've reinforced Wonder Woman as a paragon of integrity and principle, Clark and Bruce as loyal friends with absolute trust and faith in her, and the Amazons as a force to be reckoned turned into...what we got.

Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 10-05-2022 at 09:33 AM.

And then they kicked Rucka off the book so we could get hyped up new writer that didn't even last four issues.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Taylor's taken that crown of thorns even if Johns' missteps were more high profile (neck snap & "I deal with my enemies").
    The weirdest thing is that Taylor's forte as a writer is knowing his audience, knowing (at least superficially) the characrters he's writing (their histories and the like) about and being able to write at least half-decent character moments (he's pretty weak when it comes to plot, dialogue, pacing... You can see that specially in his creator-owned stuff where he can't rely on fanservice). So it's weird he's incapable or unwilling to, at the very least, give a surface-level passable Diana.
    Last edited by Zagre; 10-05-2022 at 10:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I see the Super family just got a redesign...wish the Wonder family could get one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I see the Super family just got a redesign...wish the Wonder family could get one as well.
    Honestly the only looks I'm not into right now are Donna and Cassie's. Cassie looked great with the kinda spin on the JL: War costume so they should settle on that and the return of Donna's stardust costume is long overdue. Also someone needs to change Diana's boots back to the Rebirth design, will never understand why they switched to the eyesore they are now.

Other than that, though? I'm loving the Wonderfam's looks right now. Yara and Nubia serve 100% of the time, Hippolyta's goddess mode look is gorgeous, Artemis' look is VERY classic Artemis, and the new characters have amazing designs (Faruka, the Esquecida Amazons). I know some people would probably prefer that they match more but I love that they all have so much unique personality in their costumes, as long as they've all got the gauntlets I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    The weirdest thing is that Taylor's forte as a writer is knowing his audience, knowing (at least superficially) the characrters he's writing (their histories and the like) about and being able to write at least half-decent character moments (he's pretty weak when it comes to plot, dialogue, pacing... You can see that specially in his creator-owned stuff where he can't rely on fanservice). So it's weird he's incapable or unwilling to, at the very least, give a surface-level passable Diana.
    His opinion of what's a good written Diana is probably different from ours. I assume he'll be resting on "I wrote the --elseworld--story where Wonder Woman kisses another woman" laurels for a while.

Plus as usual, he can always hide behind "it's alternate universe, liberties should be allowed..." he uses for Injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    As I recall, Rucka originally pitched a story involving Diana in a situation where she has to kill a man (not Max). She turns herself in to the authorities, and Superman & Batman actually plot to bust her out, having complete faith in her and her judgment despite their respective "no kill" principles. She appreciates their efforts but insists she's going to cooperate and see this through. Meanwhile, the Amazons retaliate on her behalf and demonstrate they can easily overthrew the US government if they really want.

I don't remember the details, but the story ends with Diana being cleared of the charges and everything more or less working out.
    That's basically the long and short of it.

Then Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio decided to tie it in with Infinite Crisis and make a huge thing out of it. Max Lord became the subject of neck snappage, and the MELODRAMA gets ramped up to eleven with Bruce and Clark being utterly disgusted with Diana's actions. It gets turned into a "Wonder Woman isn't human and that's why she needs a secret identity" thing. And the stuff with the Amazons was later became Amazons Attack, which......oof.

So Greg Rucka's original idea, which would've reinforced Wonder Woman as a paragon of integrity and principle, Clark and Bruce as loyal friends with absolute trust and faith in her, and the Amazons as a force to be reckoned turned into...what we got.

Amazons Attack was an event that was going to begin and end in the same book. Seriously, it was going to be like, 4 pages max. Rucka pitch for it was: "the shortest war in human history."

So it was supposed to be short and present the Amazons in a positive light, but instead it was long and presented the Amazons in a negative light...
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    I think in his mind, he does. His Diana is surface level at its peak to him. Look at the fantasy shlock he's writing, his Diana is tough but not really, strong willed but stupid, and he gave Diana her lesbian kiss, surely, we like how he writes her now, right? lol
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    That's basically the long and short of it.

Amazons Attack was an event that was going to begin and end in the same book. Seriously, it was going to be like, 4 pages max. Rucka pitch for it was: "the shortest war in human history."

So it was supposed to be short and present the Amazons in a positive light, but instead it was long and presented the Amazons in a negative light...
    Amazons Attack as it was told was a pathetic, enraging portrayal of the Amazons. Zero focus on who the Amazons are as characters and instead used as a plot device.

They gotta stop giving Diana and her mythos such a bad showing in crossovers.

Diana in the Red Hood Webtoons outlaw from today

I didn't even notice they were using the Invisible Jet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Where is she struggling?

I know some think that WW should be a stone wall against everyone in the DCU but there's nothing in these panels about struggle and its VERY clear that Diana is not trying to escalate things to a more dangerous place.
    Yeah, she blocks the first Star Bolt, the second one was a lucky hit, and then she immediately overpowers Starfire and gets her to the ground and her line implies she was treating her with kid gloves up to that point.

Also she did apologize for her behavior after things de-escalated.

That would've been...a much more flattering story. But I guess they really needed the Trinity to feel compromised and at their lowest for Infinite Crisis.

Diana in the Red Hood Webtoons outlaw from today

I love Diana and Artemis' facial expressions!

And look at Supes--he is thinking, "Hmmph. I can fly in space without this jet! Why do I have to sit here?"
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

McFarlane Superpowers Wonder Woman figure and Invisible Jet prototype.

McFarlane Superpowers Wonder Woman figure and Invisible Jet prototype.

Since I can see that "Invisible Jet", I wonder if the Jet is going to stay that gray color....or be clear in the final production?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!