Page 222 of 346 FirstFirst ... 122172212218219220221222223224225226232272322 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 5178
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    This is the first Wonder Woman comic I owned.

Attachment 129968

Over the years we've gotten away from the patriotism that makes people uncomfortable in the global world we live in now. I get it, so I eventually became okay with the removal of overt signs of Americanna from her iconography and the addition of an accent to let casual listners know she's in no way American. Apparently now that's not enough, now I have to accept depictions of her looking decidedly foreign or be seen as an old fashioned, phoney authority, that's borderline racist. That I won't go for.
    It breaks my heart that fans of Wonder Woman--a character whose express purpose is to help end things like xenophobia and sexist beauty standards and racism, etc.--could hold these sorts of perspectives and deny/not see the irony/hypocrisy/contradiction.

Have mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    we will continue getting the blue-eyed, white skinned, supermodel Barbie that so many people like, and we will also get the olive skinned, brown-eyed,
    I don't understand why they changed her pigmentation recently. If they tried to make her look more native to the Amazons it shouldn't matter because most people shouldn't look like they are from there with how all Amazonian women emerge from a pot and as a random ethnicity. Her classic look, being pale with blue eyes, may not be what native people would've looked like but it doesn't matter because its multiracial so she doesn't need to look like what a native would. Especially, when that standard is not held to any of the other women.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm not familiar with him. What has he done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not much. He’s new to DC I think.
    He's done mostly variant cover work at DC up until now I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    It breaks my heart that fans of Wonder Woman--a character whose express purpose is to help end things like xenophobia and sexist beauty standards and racism, etc.--could hold these sorts of perspectives and deny/not see the irony/hypocrisy/contradiction.

Have mercy.
    If I were a xenophobe you may have a point, it's not other countries I don't like, it's a lot of change.

At some point it has to stop or you have a different character.

If I were a xenophobe you may have a point, it's not other countries I don't like, it's a lot of change.

At some point it has to stop or you have a different character.
    We are not saying change every single thing about Diana. The people who are fine with or prefer her with olive skin or brown (or grey) eyes aren't calling for the lasso, her Amazon origins, powers, etc to be removed.

We are not saying change every single thing about Diana. The people who are fine with or prefer her with olive skin or brown (or grey) eyes aren't calling for the lasso, her Amazon origins, powers, etc to be removed.
    Arguably the most important thing about her has changed, her status as a wholly female creation. So her origin has changed, her costume has changed, her height has changed, along with when she came to Man's World and who she met when she got there. Her indestructable bracelets have been shattered, all manner of beings have escaped the lasso recently, but that's not enough, we need a new eye color too.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post

Have mercy.
    That's what happens when people start not just gatekeeping fictional characters but filtering their own personal views about life and society through those fictional characters. I remember seeing tweets back in 2017 from people claiming that they would NOT watch the first Wonder Woman film because Gal Gadot was "too skinny," "too foreign-looking," and "too flat chested," and because the producers "ruined" an "American icon" by giving her a "foreign accent." LOL

Arguably the most important thing about her has changed, her status as a wholly female creation. So her origin has changed, her costume has changed, her height has changed, along with when she came to Man's World and who she met when she got there. Her indestructable bracelets have been shattered, all manner of beings have escaped the lasso recently, but that's not enough, we need a new eye color too.
    These changes were all made before this game was even conceived as an idea.

These changes were all made before this game was even conceived as an idea.
    Yes, and what about it?

Yes, and what about it?
    Suggesting that Diana be depicted as something other than a pale-skinned, blue-eyed woman is not the same thing as demanding every single thing about her be changed. The people who are fine with Diana's depiction in the Suicide Squad game are not okay with the lasso and bracelets being rendered useless or her being Zeus's creation. People can be fine with some deviation from what is expected of Diana (just as they are with Superman and Batman) and put their foot down in regards to other aspects. It's not a binary.

Suggesting that Diana be depicted as something other than a pale-skinned, blue-eyed woman is not the same thing as demanding every single thing about her be changed. The people who are fine with Diana's depiction in the Suicide Squad game are not okay with the lasso and bracelets being rendered useless or her being Zeus's creation. People can be fine with some deviation from what is expected of Diana (just as they are with Superman and Batman) and put their foot down in regards to other aspects. It's not a binary.
    You're missing my entire point. Multiple changes have a cumulative effect.

You're missing my entire point. Multiple changes have a cumulative effect.
    Yeah, multiple changes. Not a single change that has little to no impact and comes after several other changes have been made.

You're bashing Diana's physical appearance in this game because of numerous other past alterations that were far more controversial and for much better reasons.

I continue with the rereading of Willow Wilsons run

Maaaan, I forgot how much of a fucking asshole was Steve Trevor in this run. Wonder Woman is going to bring Cheetah to justice just seconds after Afrodita's funeral and this fucking dude is like "BUT WHAT ABOUT ME????". Literally. after. afrodita's. funeral.

Douchebag.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    I continue with the rereading of Willow Wilsons run

Maaaan, I forgot how much of a fucking asshole was Steve Trevor in this run. Wonder Woman is going to bring Cheetah to justice just seconds after Afrodita's funeral and this fucking dude is like "BUT WHAT ABOUT ME????". Literally. after. afrodita's. funeral.

Douchebag.
    In fairness to Steve, I believe he was meant to be influenced by the death of Aphrodite and love as a whole.

Still not a great story, execution wise, though

Yeah, Wilson's run was as much frustrating for stuff like that where it seemed like that there was a great story idea but the execution was so lacking, the Ares trying to be a hero story is probably the poster child for that.