Page 73 of 341 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 5101
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

[QUOTE=Primal Slayer;5780722]Wonder Woman in general. The public knows far more about all those that you mentioned, especially Spiderman and Superman because they've been in their lives forever in various media. They can look back to Spiderman and his amazing friends or maybe Spiderman TAS got them hooked, or the OG films.

Wonder Woman is mostly related to Lynda Carter and they just now get to relate her to Gal but even during BvS so many tried to call her q Xena ripoff. They probably can't name a WW villain outside of Ares.

If you think that she's on the same level as Superman/Spiderman/Batman.....well we'll have to disagree.[/QUOTE]

They can name Cheetah too. They know most of the things that have been present in her popular solo material. Lasso, amazons, bracelets, her powers, invisible jet. Princess etc.

If she isn't. It's only because DC and WB suck at handling her franchise. It is amazing all she has achieved while not even having 50% of the push those characters you mentioned have. Even harley quinn has more push overall than WW. So that proves 2 things. WW has great potential and lasting impact to be this iconic with so little effort at marketing and promotio from DC and WB side. And 2, DC and WB win the first prize as true incompetence regarding WW franchise.

Everyone loves to mention the Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman animated series, but y'all are forgetting the successful DC Super Hero Girls TV series. Just because it isn't as sophisticated as the aforementioned shows, and maybe can't be enjoyed by adults as much as its enjoyed by children, doesn't mean it doesn't count. Wonder Woman is still the primary protagonist of the show, and it also features Cheetah and Giganta in regular roles.

Would I prefer a legit WW: TAS? Of course, but let's not undersell Wonder Woman as her own trailblazer, even for today's youth.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Wonder Woman in general. The public knows far more about all those that you mentioned, especially Spiderman and Superman because they've been in their lives forever in various media. They can look back to Spiderman and his amazing friends or maybe Spiderman TAS got them hooked, or the OG films.

Wonder Woman is mostly related to Lynda Carter and they just now get to relate her to Gal but even during BvS so many tried to call her q Xena ripoff. They probably can't name a WW villain outside of Ares.

If you think that she's on the same level as Superman/Spiderman/Batman.....well we'll have to disagree.
    But that isn't the discussion we're having regarding the bolded. You said:

I love Diana but DC is just coasting off of her name and arent doing anything to elevate her more. She is famous because of her overall message but ask anyone to name a WW story and they probably wouldnt be able to tell you.
    I responded by asking who can tell you a Captain Marvel, Superman, Spider-Man, or Batman story from the comics. Most people can't because most people aren't reading the comics. Then I expanded from the comics and said that Wonder Woman 77 and the two live-action films are something the general would be able to speak about and for some at length. Whether Wonder Woman was on the same level as the 3 biggest names in comics wasn't a part of the equation.

You also said that DC was "coasting" on Wonder Woman's name. I then brought up several partnerships that DC announced just this Saturday at Fandome or at least within the past year. These partnerships actually target various markets and not just the typical comic book market. Trial of the Amazons obviously targets the actual markter. Fortnite, I'm certain, has a lot of overlap with the comic book market and the comic book film (which is a much larger market) market. However, the Williams Sisters partnerships - which are two different partnerships - the Zales partnership, the Dove partnership, and the Tik Tok partnership are boldly targeting non-traditional comic book markets and largely markets that are targeting women and girls of various ages. With this information, it's hard to say DC is coasting when they are leveraging the brand at multiple markets in multiple ways including markets that are not traditionally comic book or even superhero markets.

Next you said, "They probably can't name a WW villain outside of Ares." However as mystical41 said they do know about, "Lasso, amazons, bracelets, her powers, invisible jet. Princess etc." I would add to that list, they know about Steve Trevor, her Greek mythology connection, and as much as some of you may hate this, they know she is a demigoddess and the daughter of Zeus. Just because they can't discuss her villains at length does not mean they can't discuss Wonder Woman at length.

Last you said, "The public knows far more about all those that you mentioned, especially Spiderman and Superman because they've been in their lives forever in various media."
    True. However, I find it admirable and a testament to Wonder Woman that she's gotten far less media, but she is still seen as an iconic character that impacts people vastly and is an icon for Women, LGBT, and nonviolent protesters. Also, Lynda Carter is iconic because of Wonder Woman and Gal Gadot is only getting so much media attention right now - like her current Elle Magazine - because of Wonder Woman and Lynda, Gal, and Patty were asked to speak at the U.N. because of Wonder Woman. So yes, she has far less media, but that hasn't muted the impact she has on people's daily lives. Which brings me to the original point of this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's sad. Diana has everything needed to become a trailer blazer. Instead we are seeing Korra, She-Ra, Steven Universe and Captain Marvel starting race past her.
    My major point is that Diana/Wonder Woman is not being surpassed by these other I.P.s. Even a billion-dollar grossing film hasn't gotten Captian Marvel the number of partnerships that Wonder Woman has had the past year, I didn't see a Captian Marvel section of the Halloween costume shop this past weekend like I did with Wonder Woman, I don't see women in their 50s or 60s talking about the importance of Captain Marvel in their young girlhood, etc.

Diana, in her own way, is still a trail blazer.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Its the discussion im having. I never stated comic story, i said stories. The general public can likely tell you more about Superman vs. Zod, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Bizzaro then they can tell yoi about Wonder Woman vs Cheetah before this movie.

Superman always be the #1 superhero but he can barely sell a movie nowadays and that's a problem
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 10-19-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Everyone loves to mention the Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman animated series, but y'all are forgetting the successful DC Super Hero Girls TV series. Just because it isn't as sophisticated as the aforementioned shows, and maybe can't be enjoyed by adults as much as its enjoyed by children, doesn't mean it doesn't count. Wonder Woman is still the primary protagonist of the show, and it also features Cheetah and Giganta in regular roles.

Would I prefer a legit WW: TAS? Of course, but let's not undersell Wonder Woman as her own trailblazer, even for today's youth.
    I'm kind of surprised they've only really used Cheetah in one episode, but in said episode she took out the entire team so maybe they realize they made her too overpowered for once .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of surprised they've only really used Cheetah in one episode, but in said episode she took out the entire team so maybe they realize they made her too overpowered for once .
    Reminds me of when she took out the entire JL and then lost on purpose so she could get captured.

(To bad it all went downhill for the rest of the Nu52 after that, lol)
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That show is great, but it's a copout to give DC an out to point to that and can it a day-- but make no mistake, every clip I've seen of that show is solid gold.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Its the discussion im having. I never stated comic story, i said stories. The general public can likely tell you more about Superman vs. Zod, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Bizzaro then they can tell yoi about Wonder Woman vs Cheetah before this movie.

Superman always be the #1 superhero but he can barely sell a movie nowadays and that's a problem
    That's DC and WB's fault. The fact that WW is as iconic as she is. Without even 50% of the push and promotion that SM has is proof of how impactful she is. And the potential in WW that DC and WB are unable to use properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That show is great, but it's a copout to give DC an out to point to that and can it a day-- but make no mistake, every clip I've seen of that show is solid gold.
    I'm not saying it's the best DC can do for Wonder Woman by any means, but it counts for something as opposed to the nothing several fans are giving her as a trailblazer here.

I mean, it has a good version of Julia Kapatelis, so that's something .

Incredible Member

This will be my last time responding as it's clear that we're speaking in circles.

She is famous because of her overall message but ask anyone to name a WW story and they probably wouldnt be able to tell you.
    I responded with comic stories and non-comic stories as I was not certain which you meant in this quote. I've actually done this twice now. Also your original comment - which I quoted - wasn't about people knowing more about Superman, etc. You stated people probably wouldn't be able to name a WW story hence I mention WW 77 and the two live-action movies - my third time doing so now.

The point is regarding your original statement, which I quoted, people can name Wonder Woman stories.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I've never seen any of these other I.P.s be called iconic, none have 80 years worth of history, none have partnered with the U.N., and none have made the top 10 for merchandising sales on their name alone like Wonder Woman did in 2017, and none have had the number one costume like Wonder Woman, and none had magazine articles dedicated to their social impact by Smithsonian Magazine like Wonder Woman.

I agree that I want a Wonder Woman cartoon, but those other I.P.s have a long way to go before we can realistically say they've surpassed her.
    I'm not talking about merchandise or anything like that.

I'm talking about artistic and cultural impact. Korra and She-Ra are seminal for LGBT youth. I've seen tick-tocks where gay and bi teens react to the confirmation of KorraSami and though I haven't seen Netflix's She-Ra I've seen audiences talk about how the Korra helped pave the way for better LGBT representation on the show. Korra also helped set a new benchmark for expectations for female led action shows and the show also helped put Studio Mir on the map.

Meanwhile, the biggest female superhero in the world is forced to play catch up due to the incompetence of those in charge of her IP.

A UN partnership and magazine articles doesn't mean **** to me. Are we going to be pointing at magazine articles 20 years from now when She Ra is on it's third reboot and Avatar Studios wraps up it's live action Kyoshi trilogy while WB hadn't done anything after the third Patty Jenkins WW movie?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm not talking about merchandise or anything like that.

I'm talking about artistic and cultural impact. Korra and She-Ra are seminal for LGBT youth. I've seen tick-tocks where gay and bi teens react to the confirmation of KorraSami and though I haven't seen Netflix's She-Ra I've seen audiences talk about how the Korra helped pave the way for better LGBT representation on the show. Korra also helped set a new benchmark for expectations for female led action shows and the show also helped put Studio Mir on the map.

Meanwhile, the biggest female superhero in the world is forced to play catch up due to the incompetence of those in charge of her IP.

A UN partnership and magazine articles doesn't mean **** to me. Are we going to be pointing at magazine articles 20 years from now when She Ra is on it's third reboot and Avatar Studios wraps up it's live action Kyoshi trilogy while WB hadn't done anything after the third Patty Jenkins WW movie?
    There is a possibility we will since people still reference Wonder Woman being on the first cover of MS. Magazine from 1972 almost 50 years ago. Also, not only was Wonder Woman featured in Smithsonian Magazine, but it also has a Smithsonian Wonder Woman Collection.

I think what you're saying about She-Ra and Korra are awesome. More representation for LGBT youth is wonderful. I'm not certain how them being great for LGBT youth negates that Wonder Woman is also an icon for LGBT individuals.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm not saying it's the best DC can do for Wonder Woman by any means, but it counts for something as opposed to the nothing several fans are giving her as a trailblazer here.
    Fair point. I'll concede to that argument.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    There is a possibility we will since people still reference Wonder Woman being on the first cover of MS. Magazine from 1972 almost 50 years ago. Also, not only was Wonder Woman featured in Smithsonian Magazine, but it also has a Smithsonian Wonder Woman Collection.

I think what you're saying about She-Ra and Korra are awesome. More representation for LGBT youth is wonderful. I'm not certain how them being great for LGBT youth negates that Wonder Woman is also an icon for LGBT individuals.
    Well She-Ra and Korra actually got to kiss girls. Diana can’t even do that, her “LGBT” status is on pretty thin ice. How she can “represent” a group that she’s never actually shown to be a part of because DC is scared of backlash? They’re cowards who want kudos without actually doing anything meaningful in terms of depicting her sexuality as what they imply it is.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/