Page 124 of 344 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 5147
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

If someone is powerful enough to reverse the magic that the Gods did on Diana, they are probably powerful enough to take out the Lasso.

Dr Alchemy gets his powers from the Philosophers Stone. He's the kind of character that should really be up there in terms of threat level but rarely gets used to his full potential.

His power is literally transmuting elements. So reverting Diana back to what her body used to be and almost turning Batman into carbon is well within his range.

Waid started off with the wrong foot with Wonder Woman, he wrote her badly in Kingdom Come inadvertently setting off the chain reaction that lead to Warrior Woman being a thing.

However, he has grown tremendously as a writer since then and he wrote her well during her appearance in the 8th Anniversary Special:

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Perez also established that Circe could magically revert Diana to clay. That may even be the first ever instance of such a plot happening that I'm aware of, and it came from Wonder Woman's own book and one of her biggest creators.

Also the Anti-Monitor reverted Diana to clay in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

I know it's been done. But I hate it because, again, it's what leads to the "Wonder Woman is a golem" thing.

And, in fairness, Circe's thing was an actual ceremony that involved preparation and ingredients and required Diana to be immobilized for a long time. It wasn't just a snap of her fingers or just a thing that happens. It took time, effort, and was very easy to mess up on her part.

I just feel like, if Diana being reverted to clay is a threat to her, it should be treated as something very difficult to accomplish. Not just a villain of the day doing it with a snap of his finger...even if Dr. Alchemy should theoretically be that powerful.

God, I hate when Wonder Woman shows up in other people's books. I hate it so very much.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    However, he has grown tremendously as a writer since then and he wrote her well during her appearance in the 8th Anniversary Special:
    ...I'll have to take your word for it, because those pages don't impress.

Not reading Superman/Batman so not sure if she's actually been reverted to clay or if it's just a clay pun in general because it looks like everything is else is clay. I do lean towards Guy_McNights that I like the clay origin but also never really cared for it when writers tried to get "cute" with it also. Like most comic writers, it's not as clever as they think it is.

Thought Waid's 80th story was one of the better ones in that anthology and he's pretty much admitted he regrets how he wrote Diana in KC so I don't really hold it to much against him even if I've no time for the story itself. Waid's less-talented successors who took Warrior Woman and ran with it deserve more ire.
    Last edited by Gaius; 05-17-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Cheetah also killed Diana in Justice using poison from Persephone to revert Diana to clay. WW fans tend to still love that book because it made Cheetah look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I know it's been done. But I hate it because, again, it's what leads to the "Wonder Woman is a golem" thing.

And, in fairness, Circe's thing was an actual ceremony that involved preparation and ingredients and required Diana to be immobilized for a long time. It wasn't just a snap of her fingers or just a thing that happens. It took time, effort, and was very easy to mess up on her part.

I just feel like, if Diana being reverted to clay is a threat to her, it should be treated as something very difficult to accomplish. Not just a villain of the day doing it with a snap of his finger...even if Dr. Alchemy should theoretically be that powerful.

God, I hate when Wonder Woman shows up in other people's books. I hate it so very much.
    Long drawn out ritual or no, we end up with with the potential "golem" stuff either way, and Perez may have been the first one to inflict it on us. And the Philosopher's Stone should presumably be as powerful as anything Circe can dish out.

And again, this is a story where even one of the title characters had a weakness exploited and became a danger to others in the first issue. Diana appearing in other books is always potentially bad, but there are "pick your battles" situations and this one doesn't seem like a big deal all things considered

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Cheetah also killed Diana in Justice using poison from Persephone to revert Diana to clay. WW fans tend to still love that book because it made Cheetah look awesome.
    For what it's worth, I thought Justice sucked, too.

For what it's worth, Waid wrote a pretty good team-up between Power Girl and Diana in his Brave and the Bold run.

Why are people using the word golem like it's a bad thing?

Incredible Member

Diana's clay origin in Wonder Woman - Amazon Warrior. Published by Scholastic in 2016

2022-05-18 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Veni; 05-18-2022 at 04:27 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why are people using the word golem like it's a bad thing?
    It can feel a bit strange if she's literally still clay.

Also, weird that Alchemy seemed to have more trouble zapping Batman than he did Diana.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For what it's worth, Waid wrote a pretty good team-up between Power Girl and Diana in his Brave and the Bold run.
    For what is worth. He disrespected WW yet again in that story, where it looked like PG one shotted WW. So yeah waid has no respect for WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not reading Superman/Batman so not sure if she's actually been reverted to clay or if it's just a clay pun in general because it looks like everything is else is clay. I do lean towards Guy_McNights that I like the clay origin but also never really cared for it when writers tried to get "cute" with it also. Like most comic writers, it's not as clever as they think it is.

Thought Waid's 80th story was one of the better ones in that anthology and he's pretty much admitted he regrets how he wrote Diana in KC so I don't really hold it to much against him even if I've no time for the story itself. Waid's less-talented successors who took Warrior Woman and ran with it deserve more ire.
    I didn't read it either, but you have a point about everything being turned into clay, I thought it was a good reference about her origin.

Rereading this number that I quite like, I found (FINALLY!) another post rebirth reference about the clay origin that I always had in my mind but I didn't remember where it was.

Oh that's from Wonder Woman #73 right? I don't recall that mention but you were right. Although that's from a mirror dimension, so at least issue #787 is a step forward by being in the real world