Page 153 of 342 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203253 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 5117

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Well Discovery considers Wonder Woman to be one of their most important franchises
    Attachment 123611
    Love to see that!

Well Discovery considers Wonder Woman to be one of their most important franchises
    Attachment 123611
    Could anyone have imagined a decade ago that eventually WW would be listed along with the likes of Batman and Harry Potter as one of WB's top priorities? That first movie really did something.

I saw a tweet about how they're doing a "reset" so unsure if that means they're planning on rebooting but hopefully it means we get more Wonder-content on other platforms. And it puts the video game in a much comfier place as well.

Attachment 123611
    And to add to this, his exact quote's are:

“The Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group has fantastic IP and a great history,” Zaslav said. “Between DC and the animation group, together with the entire Warner library, our ambition is to bring Warner back and produce great high-quality films. As we look at the opportunities that we have, broadly, DC is one of the top of the list for us. Look at Batman, Superman, Wonder-Woman, Aquaman, these are brands known everywhere in the world. The ability to drive those all over the world is a big opportunity for us.”

Zaslav said that the DC organization moving forward will resemble the strategy that drives Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“We have done a reset. We’ve structured the business,” Zaslav said. “There will be a team with a 10-year plan focusing just on DC. It’s very similar to the structure that Alan Horn and Bob Iger put together very effectively with Kevin Feige at Disney. We think we could build a long-term, much more sustainable growth business out of DC, and as part of that, we’re going to focus on quality. We’re not going to release any film before it’s ready… The focus is going to be, how do we make each of these films, in general, as good as possible? DC is something we can make better, and we’re focused on it now. We have some great DC films coming up. ‘Black Adam,’ ‘Shazam!,’ and ‘Flash.’ We’re working on all of those. We’ve seen them, and we think they’re terrific, and that we can make them even better. That’s what Mike [De Luca] and Pam [Abdy, Warner Bros.’ new motion picture heads] are doing.”

Zaslav added, “We’ve looked hard at the direct-to-streaming business. We’ve seen, luckily, by having access to all the data how these movies perform. Our conclusion is expensive direct-to-streaming movies, in terms of how people are consuming them on the platform, how often people buy a service for them, how they get nourished over time, is no comparison to what happens when you launch a film in the theaters. This idea of expensive films going direct to streaming. We cannot find an economic case for it. We can’t find an economic value for it, and so we’re making a strategic shift.”

Ultimately, Zaslav said, the objective is to “grow the DC brand, to grow the DC characters. But also our job is to protect the DC brand, and that’s what we’re going to do.”
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I want results. Not empty platitudes and I'm not going to read too much into a logo placement on a chart. It's a shallow sign, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    That makes no sense. Bringing him back didn't change his character. He was the same person.
    Trevor was fine. So is Chris Pine. Diana moping about him for a quarter of a century, having sex with him after he possessed another man's body and needing to be convinced to be a hero by him and renounce her wish was terrible. Are we to assume that Diana was okay with the world burning down as long she had her Stevie?

No wonder they are okay with Patty's 'vision' for Diana. So long as it doesn't challenge them and keeps them comfortable.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Attachment 123611
    I will believe it when i see it. Lipservice is all they know to do with WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    With Zaslav gutting Warner and slashing things left and right, some have speculated/feared the actual DC comics might be on the chopping block.

Personally, I don't see it going that far, but suppose he did torpedo the comics division. As far as I know, the "Wonder Woman comics must be published or the rights go back to the Marston family" clause is still in effect. So, if DC folds and unless there's a re-negotiation, what happens to Diana?

For a start, when they say the rights go back, to what extent? I guess it's a similar situation as when the IPs become public domain, but what exactly goes back to the Marstons? What elements of her lore would still be regarded as DC creations and stick with Warner?

But the other question is what the Marstons could or would do with it? The obvious suggestion would be sell to Disney/Marvel, but who knows? Wonder Woman, one way or another, is a valuable IP. I don't know how ambitious or business savvy the surviving Marstons are, but there are other avenues they could pursue.

Again, I doubt this will happen, and I'm not sure it would necessarily be a good thing if it did, but one wonders.
    And imagine if Diana were to actually thrive afterward? How sad would that be...that all this time, it was just Warner/DC that held her back?
    WB /DC have always held her back. It would be interesting to see her shine without them. It would be great.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This is something I've wondered as a thought experiment, independent of the current Zaslav stuff, if DC ever failed to uphold the agreement.

I assume it'd probably be all the stuff Marston can be specifically credited with (Wonder Woman, the Diana Prince identity, Steve, Etta, Priscilla Rich, Giganta, etc). Of course Hippolyta, the Amazons, Themyscira, Circe, and the Gods are all public domain so they'd be fair use either way.
    They wouldn't be able to use any of the post-Marston designs or stories though.

Not to be the depressing one here, but a directive like Zaslav's, that has shown to appraoch TV with 50s era mysoginy, doesn't inspire me much confidence when it comes to Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post

Not to be the depressing one here, but a directive like Zaslav's, that has shown to appraoch TV with 50s era mysoginy, doesn't inspire me much confidence when it comes to Wonder Woman.
    This. I think we are about to witness a new era of WW being treated like trash. She will probably be portrayed as an angry warrior. Nerfed and will be Superman's punching bag as usual. And the punching bag for others too. This could be the start of one of WW's worst eras.

Yeah, later post-Marston stuff like Barbara Minerva, Nubia, Artemis, the Wonder Girls (or even that concept), the Rebirth costume, would still be DC

Another interesting thing is it'd probably be a huge mess for every book where WW guest starred or was a on team book if DC ever wanted to release new trades or reprints.

Rawr

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

So your saying this is what Zaslav represents? What proof do you have of this since I would think in this day and age he wouldn't have come to the position he has with this approach, as you say it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Diana moping about him for a quarter of a century
    That's totally fine as well. Like Superman spent 1000 years being faithful to Lois after getting lost in some parallel dimension. Why is it an issue with WW who is hundreds of years old?

That's totally fine as well. Like Superman spent 1000 years being faithful to Lois after getting lost in some parallel dimension. Why is it an issue with WW who is hundreds of years old?
    This would be a valid response if the extent of it had been someone asking her out and her saying she'd never date again out of respect for Steve. But in WW84:

(a) Diana's plight is that she's lonely because she's immortal, outlived all of her loved ones, and can't go back to the one place where she wouldn't be alone. You'd think she'd wish to be able to go back to her immortal homeland, where she lived for hundreds of years and had countless loved ones who grieved for her when she left (in fact, the first scene of the movie shows her feeling homesick), but nope, she wishes for the guy she dated for what couldn't have been more than a matter of months. Never mind the fact that she'd inevitably outlive him anyway.

(c) Steve was only able to return by taking over a random dude's body, which she proceeded to violate even knowing the situation. And she didn't even consider that there was anything wrong with it.

(d) She was desperate to give up her powers for him and let him permanently inhabit this poor man's body, in spite of the fact that the world was collapsing around them and she was the only one who could stop it. And worse yet, she only did the right thing after Steve convinced her to do it.

None of that would ever happen in a Superman story because it's honestly pathetic and makes her look like a terrible person. I know Patty was trying to do the throwback '80s thing but it came with a whole bunch of problematic tropes that she somehow didn't consider.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 08-05-2022 at 05:23 PM.

In addition to what bardkeep said, the different is that:

-Lois is still alive on earth and Superman knows that he can reunite with her again at some point. Steve in WW84 was dead and the only thing on Diana's mind was how much she missed him and wanted to be with him at the expense of literally everything else.

-The Superman story you mentioned is still problematic for other reasons since it treated Diana as 'temptation' to show how loyal Superman was to Lois and also had Lois being jealous of Diana's appearance. There was also a Batman story in Tom King's run that did the same thing.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    In addition to what bardkeep said, the different is that:

-Lois is still alive on earth and Superman knows that he can reunite with her again at some point. Steve in WW84 was dead and the only thing on Diana's mind was how much she missed him and wanted to be with him at the expense of literally everything else.

-The Superman story you mentioned is still problematic for other reasons since it treated Diana as 'temptation' to show how loyal Superman was to Lois and also had Lois being jealous of Diana's appearance. There was also a Batman story in Tom King's run that did the same thing.
    Actually, Superman never knew that he would be able to go back in time to where they were before going to Asgard.