Page 157 of 168 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 2509
  1. #2341
    Spectacular Member bardkeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Wonder who the writer was.
    Not sure which episode it's in (I JUST started it) but it may be Abbi Jacobson from Broad City? She's the star and co-showrunner and I assume she wrote at least a few episodes. I hope so because it'd just reinforce my love for her.

    Also it's on Amazon Prime so not produced by WB.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Pitch it to us! What would you do?
    Once a pitch is out in the world I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to use it in the comics so I don't wanna know!

  2. #2342
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I have such a great pitch for The Mask. If I ever get a shot….
    Excellent!

    I have character pitch idea that’s a foil for The Mask.

    As much as I love seeing Wonder characters interact with Diana, I also enjoy Wonder characters interacting and developing relationships with one another. It makes for a richer world.

  3. #2343
    AEColyte Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    10,897

    Default

    Red Hoot Outlaws webtoon with Artemis is pretty good so far.




  4. #2344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    My memory of your run might be off, but wasn't your arc one in which you have Diana depowered through most of it? Since you are a writer and this is a honest question, isn't it a cop-out of sorts to take away or depower a very strong hero like Diana because otherwise she would solve the plot that the author is devising too easily?

    Sorry if the question offends, but it does seem that this is a common trope among many of the writers that have written arcs for Wonder Woman. Even her latest movie showing had her depowered through most of it.
    Well, I'm not really responsible for the latest movie (which I haven't seen), but I'll take your word for it.

    Beyond both that and whatever most other writers have done with Diana over the years, I had a fairly limited number of issues to write a story that would smooth the passage between Phil and Greg. The only time I really read Wonder Woman myself was back in the day with the Mike Sekowsky issues from the late 60s. Looked forward to every issue and enjoyed them, especially one that, I think, Woody inked. I suspect that that work was inspired by the Avengers TV show from the 60s - no relation to the Marvel Avengers - and its principal actress, Diana Rigg. Every boy in America had a crush on Diana Rigg back then, including me. A sexy woman who was sexy not only because she was attractive but especially because she was intelligent. So I decided to write my issues as a tribute to all that and based my story on an Aesop's fable, an appropriately Greek source, for inspiration. In case I didn't include it in my story, the fable is The Two Pots. It's about two pots, one of brass and one of clay who try to travel together. I have no idea how many other times Diana was depowered between the Sekowsky run and my own, but I tried to do an honest story that would show case Diana's fire and fortitude in a situation where she was under serious duress, and I stand by that effort. I'm sorry it didn't do it for you, but I really enjoyed tipping my hat to the WW work that I had read and enjoyed. And to Diana Rigg, of course.

    Best/Walter

  5. #2345
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Simonson View Post
    Well, I'm not really responsible for the latest movie (which I haven't seen), but I'll take your word for it.

    Beyond both that and whatever most other writers have done with Diana over the years, I had a fairly limited number of issues to write a story that would smooth the passage between Phil and Greg. The only time I really read Wonder Woman myself was back in the day with the Mike Sekowsky issues from the late 60s. Looked forward to every issue and enjoyed them, especially one that, I think, Woody inked. I suspect that that work was inspired by the Avengers TV show from the 60s - no relation to the Marvel Avengers - and its principal actress, Diana Rigg. Every boy in America had a crush on Diana Rigg back then, including me. A sexy woman who was sexy not only because she was attractive but especially because she was intelligent. So I decided to write my issues as a tribute to all that and based my story on an Aesop's fable, an appropriately Greek source, for inspiration. In case I didn't include it in my story, the fable is The Two Pots. It's about two pots, one of brass and one of clay who try to travel together. I have no idea how many other times Diana was depowered between the Sekowsky run and my own, but I tried to do an honest story that would show case Diana's fire and fortitude in a situation where she was under serious duress, and I stand by that effort. I'm sorry it didn't do it for you, but I really enjoyed tipping my hat to the WW work that I had read and enjoyed. And to Diana Rigg, of course.

    Best/Walter
    Thanks for the reply!

  6. #2346
    Mighty Member Fuzzy Mittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    Oh I remember really enjoying that short run and its bringing back of the 'spinning transformation' power.
    I often wondered if the death of Trevor Barnes in that story was a choice on the writers part or a decision made by editorial for clearing the room as things transitioned from Jiminez to Rucka.

  7. #2347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Oh I remember really enjoying that short run and its bringing back of the 'spinning transformation' power.
    I often wondered if the death of Trevor Barnes in that story was a choice on the writers part or a decision made by editorial for clearing the room as things transitioned from Jiminez to Rucka.
    I suppose in some ways, you could say it was a little of both. It wasn't really an editorial decision but both those options factored into my decision to structure the story as i did.

  8. #2348
    Mighty Member Fuzzy Mittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Simonson View Post
    I suppose in some ways, you could say it was a little of both. It wasn't really an editorial decision but both those options factored into my decision to structure the story as i did.
    Thank you very much for clarifying that. ^^

    I would also like to add that a favorite moment of mine from that was that short bit wherin Artemis battled the Scylla with a rocket launcher.

  9. #2349

  10. #2350
    Ultimate Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    10,982
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]


    "Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

  11. #2351

    Default

    On Twitter you often come across people discussing the confessional sequences from Heroes in Crisis--usually mocking them--and it made me recall the one they gave Wonder Woman. I remember this was discussed when the comic first came out, but I'm curious how people feel about it now.



    I think there's a germ of an interesting idea here--that Diana is so selfless she doesn't want to burden anyone with her problems. But this weird anecdote about Hippolyta shot with an arrow and Diana hiding in her room just seems...off.

    I guess King is suggesting a child being raised by warriors would be somewhat traumatic for her, but that seems to kind of miss the point of Themyscira. It's supposed to be the peaceful paradise that sheltered Diana...not a war-torn land of brutality. I also have to ask how and why Hippolyta was even shot? By who? When?

    A lot of the confessional bits from Heroes in Crisis boil down to:
    a) "I really know something about this character & have something insightful for them"
    b) "I only THINK I know something about this character"
    c) "I know f***-all about this character, so I'll pull something out of my ass"
    d) "make a joke"

    Diana's feel like Option B.
    Like I said, there's something potentially interesting here. But it's an idea I think would be served better by someone with a greater understanding of her character. And I don't think Tom King is that guy.
    "Never place your trust in us. We're only human. Inevitably, we will disappoint you."


  12. #2352
    AEColyte Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    10,897

    Default

    Not every panel can be as God-Tier as Hal Jordan going "I don't even what will is".

    I think you're right that was going for some commentary/deconstruction on Diana being raised by a warriors. But like you said, that requires missing the entire point of Themyscira.

    King's attempts at writing WW have always left me unimpressed to put it kindly. He had one of the weaker stories in the 80th anniversary issue and his story from his Batman run competes with Tom Taylor and Connor/Palmiotti for worst modern WW story.

  13. #2353

    Default

    What was Connor/Palmiotti's story?

    Diana being so selfless that she rarely has time for herself or experiences burn out should be the kind of flaws she has. Not being overly aggressive or excessively naïve or selfish.

    King is not my favorite writer but if I had to say about the panel, Diana is giving us fragments. People in therapy don't always open up fully with all the details. So Diana just giving little bits and pieces and not the whole story and then immediately steeling herself and walking away once she regains her composure is actually pretty damn realistic.

    The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

  14. #2354
    AEColyte Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    10,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    What was Connor/Palmiotti's story?

    Diana being so selfless that she rarely has time for herself or experiences burn out should be the kind of flaws she has. Not being overly aggressive or excessively naïve or selfish.

    King is not my favorite writer but if I had to say about the panel, Diana is giving us fragments. People in therapy don't always open up fully with all the details. So Diana just giving little bits and pieces and not the whole story and then immediately steeling herself and walking away once she regains her composure is actually pretty damn realistic.
    Agent of Peace #1, team up with their pet character, Harley.

    Probably not the worse story by some objective measure but I’ve got zero time where WW plays second fiddle in title with her name on it to clown lady.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-24-2022 at 07:12 AM.

  15. #2355
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    On Twitter you often come across people discussing the confessional sequences from Heroes in Crisis--usually mocking them--and it made me recall the one they gave Wonder Woman. I remember this was discussed when the comic first came out, but I'm curious how people feel about it now.



    I think there's a germ of an interesting idea here--that Diana is so selfless she doesn't want to burden anyone with her problems. But this weird anecdote about Hippolyta shot with an arrow and Diana hiding in her room just seems...off.

    I guess King is suggesting a child being raised by warriors would be somewhat traumatic for her, but that seems to kind of miss the point of Themyscira. It's supposed to be the peaceful paradise that sheltered Diana...not a war-torn land of brutality. I also have to ask how and why Hippolyta was even shot? By who? When?

    A lot of the confessional bits from Heroes in Crisis boil down to:
    a) "I really know something about this character & have something insightful for them"
    b) "I only THINK I know something about this character"
    c) "I know f***-all about this character, so I'll pull something out of my ass"
    d) "make a joke"

    Diana's feel like Option B.
    Like I said, there's something potentially interesting here. But it's an idea I think would be served better by someone with a greater understanding of her character. And I don't think Tom King is that guy.
    I like the concept presented in Justice League: Dark that Diana was raised on a paradise island and maybe doesn't know how to open up to people when she is feeling emotions she didn't often feel on the island, like fear.

    It's a different reason, but has the same outcome King mentions in Heroes in Crisis. That Diana might could be more inclined to keep her feelings to herself on certain things so that others won't worry.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 08-24-2022 at 07:48 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •