Page 30 of 341 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    To be clear, whenever I speak of what Etta Candy should be (in contrast to what she has been for the majority of her stories) I am referring to her Golden Age conceptualization. While I would update the dialogue and the tone somewhat, I think the concept of Etta Candy as a feisty woman of action is actually still quite rare. The only film I can remember about a fat woman as an action hero is SPY (coincidentally with Melissa Mccarthy).

I mean, in Etta Candy's very first appearance Dr Poison is shooting a gun at Diana and Etta jumps out of nowhere and tackles Dr Maru, and then starts waving a baseball bat at her to intimidate her into putting herself behind bars. What other action hero do we have like that? I mean, Diana can totally handle herself but Etta always goes in first towards the bad guy like she's the one that will take down the bad guy, and a lot of times she actually suceeds.

We do have a lot of inspiring figures in other areas, but not in this particular one. Heck, there are only three over weight superheroes I can think of and two of them are joke characters (Faith from Valiant comics, Bouncing Boy and Big Bertha from Great Lakes Avengers). There are other overweight characters like Blob and Granny Goodness and Amanda Waller (most of the time), but none of them are heroes. And none of them are civillians that jump in front of the super powerful hero to defend the one that can lift elephants.

I understand your point about also having overweight representation for women of other ethnicities (heck, Amanda Waller has to struggle to stay fat) but the problem is that Etta is the typical strong black woman, except she is somewhat aloof and also loves food.
    Thank you. I better understand your point now.

I understand your point about also having overweight representation for women of other ethnicities (heck, Amanda Waller has to struggle to stay fat) but the problem is that Etta is the typical strong black woman, except she is somewhat aloof and also loves food.
    That last point is where race becomes problematic. Because a well written character with those qualities can still be regarded as more than a stereotype, but Etta already has to walk some miles whenever she says she loves candy more than any man (specially in comic form where humor is kind of bidimensional and there's plenty of room for misinterpretation).

If writers have to focus on making this character tridimensional with all those qualities, and also make sure that she isn't hurting black representation, well I'm afraid they will just keep downplaying the more energetic parts of the character. It just seems like too much to ask.

But my solution would be to have Henrietta Candy marry Bethany Byrne and we end up with Etta Candy and Beth Candy as a married couple ("Beth" being the golden age Etta, while "Etta" being the rebirth version).

Incredible Member

That last point is where race becomes problematic. Because a well written character with those qualities can still be regarded as more than a stereotype, but Etta already has to walk some miles whenever she says she loves candy more than any man (specially in comic form where humor is kind of bidimensional and there's plenty of room for misinterpretation).

If writers have to focus on making this character tridimensional with all those qualities, and also make sure that she isn't hurting black representation, well I'm afraid they will just keep downplaying the more energetic parts of the character. It just seems like too much to ask.

But my solution would be to have Henrietta Candy marry Bethany Byrne and we end up with Etta Candy and Beth Candy as a married couple ("Beth" being the golden age Etta, while "Etta" being the rebirth version).
    I would argue that's more because some people are just uncomfortable writing black people/characters. There are black body positivity characters that are also able to avoid those negative stereotypes. Context and tone matter, but actually being able to see that person as a human being matters, too.

I agree with you that there is an additional challenge in print form - the examples I can think of are on television and were specifically targeting a black, female audience unlike the mostly white, male audience of comic books - but it isn't impossible. However, if there isn't a writer comfortable enough to show a black person as a person, then it is best they just avoid the matter altogether. However, I do think it should be made clear that the "failure" - for lack of a better word right now - is on the writer and not the concept of the character or the race of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I do think it should be made clear that the "failure" - for lack of a better word right now - is on the writer and not the concept of the character or the race of the character.
    Most definitely

You guys think Jumpa will appear in Dc superhero pets?

Out of curiosity, what is the general opinion of the Stan Lee presents Wonder Woman?

StanLeeWonderWoman01.jpg

Name Maria Mendoza, she came from the Andes mountains of Peru and was chosen by the Inca sun god Manco Capac and given a magic staff in the process.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I liked it. Definitely a character I wouldnt mind seeing more of. Given a new Superhero name of course.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the general opinion of the Stan Lee presents Wonder Woman?

StanLeeWonderWoman01.jpg

Name Maria Mendoza, she came from the Andes mountains of Peru and was chosen by the Inca sun god Manco Capac and given a magic staff in the process.
    The design doesn't work super well for me (extremely ornate taking up 40% of the design and the plain white bodysuit could work if the detail wasn't isolated to "islands" so to speak), but I think it can be updated to be brought to a good spot... But Adam Hughes can many anything look good on a lady so I'll eat those words with gusto.

StanLeeWonderWoman01.jpg

I love the look. The gold really looks like gold and has a regal headdress. He gave her a (small) shield and a spear so warrior concept.

I do not now th e backstory of the character though.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I love the look. The gold really looks like gold and has a regal headdress. He gave her a (small) shield and a spear so warrior concept.

I do not now th e backstory of the character though.
    Regular modern day girl who was big on cultural preservation. Tries stopping looters who were robbing an ancient temple and they escape, carting off a bunch of mystical artifacts. She is trapped within a pit trap in the temple when she finds the staff of the sun god who tells her shes been chosen as his champion on Earth, bidding her to stop the criminals from using the magical artifacts for evil.
    She then transforms and heads off to Los Angeles to take them down and recover the artifacts with the intent of restoring them to the temple

StanLeeWonderWoman01.jpg

I like her costume more than Yara's.

Regular modern day girl who was big on cultural preservation. Tries stopping looters who were robbing an ancient temple and they escape, carting off a bunch of mystical artifacts. She is trapped within a pit trap in the temple when she finds the staff of the sun god who tells her shes been chosen as his champion on Earth, bidding her to stop the criminals from using the magical artifacts for evil.
    She then transforms and heads off to Los Angeles to take them down and recover the artifacts with the intent of restoring them to the temple
    Thank you!

Was this a published story or series?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I thought it was fun. I own Just Imagine's Justice League comic and I recall enjoying her interactions with that world's Batman (whose basically Wildcat in a Batsuit) and the two of them working together to defeat that world's Blockbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thank you!

Was this a published story or series?
    It was an Elseworlds thing and it was published. It's basically Stan Lee (or most likely his artists and ghost writers) revamping DC characters. Superman, Batman and Green Lantern all got revamped as well in their own respective one shots. Then they all came together in a single comic to form the Justice League with that world's Green Lantern as the leader. I recall it being fun and enjoyable. Some of the revamps were really wild like Superman being a space cop stranded on earth and Lois Lane being his fast talking agent trying to turn him into a celebrity. Batman was basically Wildcat; a young man who got framed for a crime he didn't commit, takes up boxing in prison, takes up a Bat motif and becoming wealthy through boxing which is how he funds his gadgets. Green Lantern was a professor who lectures at a university and draws his power from Yggdrasil (I think he was left for dead in an ancient land like WW as well) who chose him as his champion. Flash was your average hyper active female teen side kick who talks a lot but is much cleverer than people give her credit for.