Page 342 of 346 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343344345346 LastLast
Results 5,116 to 5,130 of 5178

I didn't say her suit should be more modest. I just said that neither the Perez suit nor the current suit is modest.

So both the current suit and the 70s suit are equally revealing regardless of how you feel about her

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

By "modest" clothing standards....she was only modest twice in her history. Maybe really only once. Which would be the Finch costume.
    In general, being modestly dressed means being covered from waist to knees for men,
    and having the arms, legs, back and chest covered for women. Most patients from ethnic
    groups will feel considerably more relaxed if they are able to remain covered up.

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 04-19-2024 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Damn.
    I'm always up for a Wonder Woman costume that doesn't look like a red and yellow bustier top and star spangled panties, but that...thing is awful.

By "modest" clothing standards....she was only modest twice in her history. Maybe really only once. Which would be the Finch costume.

The 2010 and 1994 looks feel more like "Wonder Girl" than WW to me.

The last one... yeah.. that'a good "combat" look for WW

Saw where the definition of modestly dressed came from and disagree with it, I wouldn't call a shirtless man modest. If his chest is out his musculature (or lack thereof) is on display for all to see.

It amazes me how people became Wonder Woman fans despite a disdain for her classic swimsuit costume. She's meant to be provocative, she's meant to challenge old ideas and ways of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Saw where the definition of modestly dressed came from and disagree with it, I wouldn't call a shirtless man modest. If his chest is out his musculature (or lack thereof) is on display for all to see.

It amazes me how people became Wonder Woman fans despite a disdain for her classic swimsuit costume. She's meant to be provocative, she's meant to challenge old ideas and ways of thinking.
    Old ideas and ways of thinking were at one point new. There is nothing challenging about a woman in a swimsuit these days, especially in a genre (in)famous for sexually objectifying women and even teenage girls. Right now, Carol Danvers' current costume is more challenging than Diana's classic costume ever was

Lady Death isn't challenging old ideas.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-19-2024 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's a funny thing, there was a time period where it was seen as progressive to draw women in things that allowed them to be free to dress how they wanted, and not be forced to comply with prudish ideas about "proper" attire...
    That was before it became an excuse to objectify and exploit women.

Thing is, it will always depend on the artist and context of the picture.

For instance:

Same character wearing the same outfit. But the picture on the left makes Diana look powerful, strong and dignified, while the one of the right is clearly meant to titillate and sexualize her.

And it's not just a matter of skin. I can show you pictures of Rogue--who, due to her powers, is almost always fully covered--that make her look as objectified as the pic on the right and vice versa.

From what I've seen--on Twitter at least--most people who want Diana to go back to her classic costume as opposed to her current one is less about modesty and more about rejecting any connection to the DCEU and Gal Gadot, which the Rebirth costume is clearly meant to synergize with.

Personally, I haven't a strong opinion either way. I'm fine with her current outfit as is, but I wouldn't mind if the "classic" one came back. Just keep her away from nonsense like the Finch outfit or full body armor.

I like to think the movie costume was heavily inspired by Nicola Scotts design on Earth 2. I dont mind it at all, It reminds me of the Golden Age, and the swimsuit also was due to awkward editorial interfering, so...

Either way, the actual costume is an actual redesign Nicola Scotts did on the movie.
    Last edited by Garrac; 04-20-2024 at 12:37 AM.

I think Carol Strickland was right when she described Wonder Woman's Golden Age look as "athletic and regal"

I think that's the coolest one she's had in comics.

I have seen other redesigns I liked that had the same energy

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    I like to think the movie costume was heavily inspired by Nicola Scotts design on Earth 2. I dont mind it at all, It reminds me of the Golden Age, and the swimsuit also was due to awkward editorial interfering, so...

Either way, the actual costume is an actual redesign Nicola Scotts did on the movie.
    Before Nicola's Earth 2 there was a WW battleskirt image circulated online for yearrrrsss, that I think originated the trend.

At the time it seemed like an appropriate way to placate and silence the "GIVE HER PANTS!" people, but in hindsight it's only a fig leaf for fans embarrassed by the classic swimsuit. Like Superman's trunks, that's nothing fans should feel embarrassed about. When you see him now, after all the failed trunkless attempts, Superman's trunks just look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Before Nicola's Earth 2 there was a WW battleskirt image circulated online for yearrrrsss, that I think originated the trend.

At the time it seemed like an appropriate way to placate and silence the "GIVE HER PANTS!" people, but in hindsight it's only a fig leaf for fans embarrassed by the classic swimsuit. Like Superman's trunks, that's nothing fans should feel embarrassed about. When you see him now, after all the failed trunkless attempts, Superman's trunks just look right.
    I dont think both are even remotely comparable. The supertrunks were an element of the costume present since the character was first created without any sexual implications, that was taken away because Jim Lee, Didio and Johns were ashamed by it for being "too superheroic".

On the other hand, the swimsuit was imposed by editorial on 72, and the version their fans keep claiming to come back is barely 30 years old.

I like seeing all of these looks side-by-side!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think Carol Strickland was right when she described Wonder Woman's Golden Age look as "athletic and regal"

I think that's the coolest one she's had in comics.

I like these powerful, elegant and regal Wonder Woman looks.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!