Page 285 of 346 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 5178

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I guess we'll see how the inevitable confrontation with Diana goes.
    One idea comes to my mind.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXKLEfAO81g
    Ok, it's probably not that....

I always thought Big Barda had strength along the lines of Donna and a fighting skill between Donna and Diana. But I could be wrong....
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Okay, this is something that's been bugging me for some time now. I've seen a few comments here and there about how Diana's chief flaw is that she is terrible at managing her social life, with fans often citing her frequently changing supporting casts, failed relationships and how little Donna and Cassie appear in her main book.

But one that really bothers me is people blaming Vanessa being tortured and brainwashed on Diana. Let's leave aside that this "flaw" is really a behind-the-scenes issue, Vanessa was in college and wasn't living with Diana. They tried to keep in contact as best as they could but they had their own lives and the last Diana heard from Vanessa, she was doing fine. Why would Vanessa becoming Silver Swan be Diana's fault?

Incredible Member

I guess the argument is that Diana moved into a young, innocent girl's life and her house and inadvertently brought with her demons and witches and psychos who wanted to torture those closest to Wonder Woman. Like her and her mother.

Nessie was directly targeted by Decay and Dr Psycho before she finished High School. That's....intense. And meanwhile Diana called her sister and said she loved her and brought her to Paradise and made her into a minor celebrity of sorts, as Diana's young BFF.

And then she disappeared from her life. Obviously that was BTS stuff, but still...its canon. I think it must have been hugely confusing having that intense a friendship for a young person. Nessie would have surely needed therapy to process it.

So did Diana drop Nessie off at Circe's doorstep and say "mess her up!" - no. But she unknowingly pulled a kid into a world of supremely dangerous beings and afterwards vanished. That's gonna hurt.

And Perez showed us how terrified Nessie was of losing her mother and Diana like she'd lost her Dad. You'd think Diana would absolutely stay in touch with Nessie so she wouldn't feel used or worry about Diana dying. Or to make sure some crazy villain didn't pop in to hurt her little sister once WW's back was turned.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 10-08-2023 at 11:15 PM.

Another layer worth touching on in that fascinating analysis is that Messner-Loebs run starts us off with Wonder Woman having been marooned in space for several years with nobody even knowing what had happened to her.
    She was dead for all intents and purposes.
    The Kapatelis family mourned her passing.
    We were told that Vanessa spent months sitting in Dianas room waiting for her return and had finally accepted Dianas passing and moved on....When she turned up on their doorstep.

The reason given in that run for Diana moving out was in part because this was very difficult for Vanessa to cope with.

Seems odd to blame Diana for something the villains did that she had no control over. And frankly, it sounds like Diana left because she and Vanessa both thought it was for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seems odd to blame Diana for something the villains did that she had no control over. And frankly, it sounds like Diana left because she and Vanessa both thought it was for the best.
    Yeah, reminds of those that try to say "WW was losing sight of her mission" to justify the story actions taken in Infinite Crisis.

Or the ever insightful "why doesn't Batman just use his money to solve all Gotham's problems"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Cassie and Vanessa never had any interactions past the Jimenez run, did they?

I don't think they would ever be friends, but after Cassie got preyed upon by the Kryptonian cult when she was vulnerable following Connor's death, I wonder if she would have more empathy for Vanessa being mentally assaulted much more overtly.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Cassie and Vanessa never had any interactions past the Jimenez run, did they?

I don't think they would ever be friends, but after Cassie got preyed upon by the Kryptonian cult when she was vulnerable following Connor's death, I wonder if she would have more empathy for Vanessa being mentally assaulted much more overtly.
    Just another missed opportunity for character growth.

It’s a situation where two things can both be true simultaneously.

It’s possible Diana neglected Vanessa to some degree by not maintaining a better connection and relationship to her, knowing her personality and personal challenges from their time spent together and history.

It’s also possible that Vanessa interpreted this as abandonment. That’s been an issue for her from losing her father and Julia’s personal relationship with Diana at a pivotal age of her development. Her challenges with insecurity and self-confidence have always been a part of her character. At less healthy moments of mental health, that can lead to anger, depression, animosity, etc. for the person versus approaching the other person to talk about and resolve their feelings. Vulnerability in reality, let alone a superhero reality (ha!), isn’t easy for everyone. Especially someone like Vanessa.

Diana made a mistake. Vanessa made a mistake. She felt rejected and some nasty villains took advantage of that and exploited it past the point of her being able to escape it on her own.

It’s one scenario out of many that could be true when Diana or Vanessa aren’t thought of as all good, all bad, all strong or all weak. They’ve all got nuances to however you describe them that can mess with their sense of self and actions in their relationships.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 10-11-2023 at 03:52 PM.

Well, looks like WW is finally safe from Johns. Now we just need to watch out for Taylor

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Well, looks like WW is finally safe from Johns. Now we just need to watch out for Taylor
    What happened? He is no longer working with DC?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    What happened? He is no longer working with DC?
    Yeah he left to start his own comic company, Ghost Machine.

He will now be strictly exclusive over there.

Found it~ https://comicbookclublive.com/2023/1...tober-13-2023/

Looks like he will continue working at DC until his current creative works wrap up and then hes gone. So yeah, no Wonder Woman involvement going forward. I think the only projects he has are the justice society stuff?

Definitely want to take this with a grain of salt because it's not exactly a reputable source (Bleeding Cool, reporting NYCC gossip) but it looks like there's a rumor about DC starting their own spin on the "Ultimate Universe": https://bleedingcool.com/comics/nycc...-scott-snyder/

Got me thinking - if they were going to start an alternate DCU with more creator control and establish a new canon from the ground up, which writer(s) would you like to see in charge of WW?

My picks:

- Kelly Sue DeConnick: Honestly, I'd be thrilled if they just put Historia in the new universe as the canon lore and built everything out from there.

- Phil Jimenez: An obvious choice for a reason - he's sort of like the Mark Waid of WW, though his approach is much more academic. I think he'd take an interesting mix of elements from Pre- and Post-Crisis, lean into the queerness of her world (in the political sense that he often uses it, not just the sexual orientation sense), and make something cool and unique that felt distinct from main continuity but still felt familiar.

- Steve Orlando: Tbh I think he'd take a very similar approach to Phil Jimenez but he's a much more realistic choice.

- Gail Simone: I actually think she's a very likely contender because of the 3 working writers most closely associated with Diana (her, Rucka, Jimenez), she's the only one I could definitely see writing a new DC ongoing or maxi-series. I think she'd very much go to the Perez roots rather than doing something brand new like Jimenez or Orlando would, but she'd put a fun spin on things as she always does and I think she'd do an amazing job setting up a strong supporting cast and foundation.