Page 106 of 346 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 5178
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-27-2022 at 03:32 PM.

This is a powerful-looking piece!

I like the long-spear, sword, and axe swap-outs.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Six pack!!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    This is out this week I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVupyKeHdXw

I want to voice my appreciation for these omnibus. I like not being the only one whose read all of Wonder Woman

I hope I'll live to see the Bronze Age fully collected. An underrated era!

Indeed!
    People seem to assume that Perez's run was created wholly from a vacuum and don't realize how much he borrowed from the Conway and Mishkin runs when crafting his amazing take
    Makes the elements that Perez did come up with himself stand out all the more in my eyes

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Indeed!
    People seem to assume that Perez's run was created wholly from a vacuum and don't realize how much he borrowed from the Conway and Mishkin runs when crafting his amazing take
    Makes the elements that Perez did come up with himself stand out all the more in my eyes
    What is the era called up to when Wonder Woman was rebooted under Perez? I am talking about pre-Perez and gliding on currents Wonder Woman. I would hope they make an omnibus of that era (70's to mid 80's)

Unsure to be honest.
    People equate Kanighers run to the silver age and the mod era as the start of her bronze age. However the mod era was in '68 and people seemingly just lump that entire 68'-86 as her bronze age

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I hope I'll live to see the Bronze Age fully collected. An underrated era!
    Here in my country in 2010 the work of Gene Colan in Wonder Woman was compiled in a kind of omnibus, from issue #288 to 305, the scripts and the drawings fascinate me, and there I really discovered how Perez was so inspired by that era. It is amazing!

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Unsure to be honest.
    People equate Kanighers run to the silver age and the mod era as the start of her bronze age. However the mod era was in '68 and people seemingly just lump that entire 68'-86 as her bronze age
    Thanks, but it sounds like to me we will probably never get the omnibus that I want

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Here in my country in 2010 the work of Gene Colan in Wonder Woman was compiled in a kind of omnibus, from issue #288 to 305, the scripts and the drawings fascinate me, and there I really discovered how Perez was so inspired by that era. It is amazing!
    I love Gene Colan's heavy lines and dramatic style!

Extraordinary Member

So where we ranking this in terms of alt universe Wonder Women:

I find it fun to speculate and theory guess but unless that justice league thing will be a few weeks thing if that and wont affect most books.
    Their making an 'Aquamen' book coming out in a few months where the core premise is the two Aquamans are a team.
    Flash currently has a book about how he has a family again and such. Which has only been going for a few months at that.

More relevant to us, the current writers have been building up a focus Wonder Womans interactions with other people and her supporting cast. I simply don't see them building up all of this when they have talked about further plans for these characters, and their interactions with Diana. This wont be like the Batwoman show where they tried replacing the lead character and expected the supporting cast to somehow all maintain the same relevence.
    I think Conrad/Cloonan and company, with TOTA, are creating an opportunity to show the purpose or relevance of the Wonder Woman family characters, respectively. Hopefully, Yara will come out of this, with a narratively sustainable purpose, beyond representing what racial and multicultural diversity looks like, in a Wonder-uniform.

I think the idea, with Yara, was that she should represent or be an avatar for young people of color and, specifically, ..young women. Let me say, emphatically, ..I think that is just fine, considering that Mary Marvel, Supergirl, Bat-Girl and the rest were created for similar reasons and have enjoyed decades of inspiring girls and women to imagine being powerful and important ..and charged with great purpose. Past the crafting of a marvelous origin for Yara, which plugs her into the mythos - a good send-off - I don't think much thought was given.

Now, what do they do, with her?

Will Yara become the ideological and symbolic superheroine, on a smaller, regional scale, that Dr. Marston created Wonder Woman to be, in World War II? Will she live in some place, where her Wonder-situation uplifts, empowers or inspires young women of color - and even more specifically, LATINAS - in their struggle to create a free and hopeful existence, for themselves and their families?

For Latinos - my great grandaunt was real-life, black and Mexican American, migrant worker heroine, Mentha Dyer Morrison - uplift is always going to be about our families, as well as our individual progress, ..and in exactly that order. Through that uplift, even when inspired by something in the arts, our communities are positively transformed. The challenge: how to get a story out of that imperative for Yara, which is entertaining and relevant to ALL readers, without turning Yara's stories, ..into preachy pamphlets. Whoever is writing Yara must understand all of this, if her unique relevance will ever be realized.

As much, as I dread the thought of another Wonder-heroine, in an urban setting and in stories reflecting urban values and ambitions - the presumed supremacy of the urban American experience - I imagine politically conscious writers will make Yara a creature of the cities, like Black Lightning was in his earliest stories. She will be written, taking stands on socio-economic justice (including police brutality), LGBTQA understanding, fighting poverty and gender equality, ..and I imagine this will become Yara's unique role in the DCu and the Wonderverse, for the foreseeable future...

Otherwise, she's just the pretty, new, ethnic Wonder Girl, with the big bottom. Like Diana, Yara needs a purpose - Yara's purpose, addressed in some way, very similar to the one I described, before she can carry a WG comic, ..something I would LOVE to see that happen. All things considered and to get back to the OP's topic...

No, I don't think Yara Flor is ready to take over, as Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What's generic about Yara compared to the rest of the Wonder Family. I love Cassie, I can see potential in Nubia, and I appreciate Donna, but in terms of mythos and characterization, they don't really stand out all that much.
    I agree, Alpha. Yara's got a fine backstory - daughter of a Perez Amazon and the king of the Amazon River gods, adopted by mortals and trained on Olympus. Donna's and Cassie's stories are comparatively generic, against Yara's.

The problem with Yara has been writers figuring out what to do with her, as is. Wonder Woman and Donna have on-going narratives, driven by strong ideas of what their purpose is, in their respective mythoses and the larger DCU. Yara, comparatively speaking...doesn't?

And on a sidenote, I would really like to see some writer get Wonder Woman out of Washington, away from the looming spectre of the US government and the military, and out into the American West or Southwest. I would like to see a good writer return Etta Candy to her roots, as a rural-origin character, and to see an on-going narrative built around Diana's enduring friendship, with her. Between leaps into lost civilizations, time warps and gods know what else, writers might build a new narrative, around the struggles of people (white, brown, Asian and all colors), in the American West and further South.

I want to see Wonder Woman and the Wonder Girls carry their patriotic colors, sparkly costumes and powers into places, where they mean nothing ..and make them mean something. That was the Marston Golden Age. That's what jumping into subatomic universes, on giant kangaroos, was all about, and what the Cloonrad machine recaptured, with Wonder Woman: Afterworlds. I don't think that's happening in Washington or Gateway City or Boston, and I don't think it will ..or has to. With Yara, on board, as new, Latinex Wonder Girl, ..perhaps, Wonder Woman's mission could find new impact, out of the big, important cities...

In some place, new and different.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-03-2022 at 11:23 PM. Reason: content, style
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    So where we ranking this in terms of alt universe Wonder Women:

Well, it's a DC Elseworld not written by Tom Taylor, so maybe she has a chance of being good. But Dead Earth **** the bed in it's last two issues.

But it's a also a Dinosaur, so that on that basis it's in the positive range.