Page 137 of 345 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 5166

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I hated Love and Thunder and put WW84 above it. If I had to choose between directors...Id choose Patty lol. Though both had way to much power over their sequels.
    I raved when I first saw WW 1984 because it was reminiscent of the WW tv series, but now in hindsight it was severly lacking, not just in action but the overall storylines too. Jenkins couldn't even write the quiet parts so they weren't problematic (scarf guy) and she made a mockery out of Cheetah. I've lost all faith in her abilities, she's just not the right director for superhero movies. The general public wants loud, bombastic and FUN and she doesn't do any of that well.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 07-09-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Just from looking at the clip, Maeve looks like she was pretty evenly matched with Homelander. They both tank each other's blows, he takes her eye, but she stabs him in the ear. Looks like it could've gone either way before she sacrifices herself to take out Soldier Boy.

Correct me if I'm wrong--because, again, I don't watch The Boys--but isn't Maeve NOT a trained warrior? Even though she's a Wonder Woman analogue, she's just a super-powered woman the corporation she works for dressed up in an Amazon costume and made that her gimmick?
    Maeve is shown in a sparring session with some trainers at one point in season 1. Unlike Homelander, she actually knows how to fight. But yeah, she's also a corporate sponsored hero.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I hated Love and Thunder and put WW84 above it. If I had to choose between directors...Id choose Patty lol. Though both had way to much power over their sequels.
    Almost anybody can do action scenes better than jenkins. WW84 had terrible action. Bad cgi, a terrible Cheetah and plot holes. A mess.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I raved when I first saw WW 1984 because it was reminiscent of the WW tv series, but now in hindsight it was severly lacking, not just in action but the overall storylines too. Jenkins couldn't even write the quiet parts so they weren't problematic (scarf guy) and she made a mockery out of Cheetah. I've lost all faith in her abilities, she's just not the right director for superhero movies. The general public wants loud, bombastic and FUN and she doesn't do any of that well.
    I agree. The tone had some good ideas. But they weren't well executed. Lousy action, dialogue, too slow pace. The treatment Cheetah got was just terrible. Jenkins couldn't make a WW movie where her lore and powerhouse status is respected and shown, even if her life depended on it. She just can't do it. Anybody having big expectations for WW3 are in for a big let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The Boys comic is definitely a stupid cliche show designed for edgy 13 year olds, but the TV show is so much better. The title is super misleading because the show is just as much about the women as it is about the "boys". Starlight has easily become my favorite character in the most recent season and is arguably more important to the show now than Hughie is.
    Oh yeah, the comic and a lot of the other properties are pretty much edge lord crap, but the Show is actually well written and directed. Do I think the sex and inuendos get too exausting in season 3, yeah, but it's surrounded by everything else that's so well a reflection of our society.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Just from looking at the clip, Maeve looks like she was pretty evenly matched with Homelander. They both tank each other's blows, he takes her eye, but she stabs him in the ear. Looks like it could've gone either way before she sacrifices herself to take out Soldier Boy.

Correct me if I'm wrong--because, again, I don't watch The Boys--but isn't Maeve NOT a trained warrior? Even though she's a Wonder Woman analogue, she's just a super-powered woman the corporation she works for dressed up in an Amazon costume and made that her gimmick?
    She does actually train and is probably the best fighter on the show, when she sobered up. Maeve was NEVER going to solo Homelander, that needs to be said, she was willing to fight him to her death if it meant 1) getting some good hits and 2) having the Boys kill him via whatever they found with solider boy. (this was before the finale)

again, Maeve's story ark in the show is vastly superior and more inpactful than in the comic, it is no contest.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

You'd be correct. Everything about the Supes is a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    They got that with Love and Thunder and its one of the poorest reviewed Marvel films. I havent so much lost faith in her director abilities as I have in her scripting. 1984 suffers in the same exact way Love and Thunder did. The directors first films were a mega success and they were given complete creative control over the 2nd and they took things to far to one side. Taiki wrote the script for L&T w/another writer just as Patty did.

Now would I mind if we got another director for the third? I wouldnt be opposed to it and think its probably smart to swap out directors after 2 films since they usually underperform in their sequels (Whedon, Jenkins, Waititi, the list goes on)
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 07-09-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, from what I heard Ennis has no involvement in The Boys so not surprised it's toned down. Though I don't think he's involved in any of the adaptions of his work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The Boys comic is definitely a stupid cliche show designed for edgy 13 year olds, but the TV show is so much better. The title is super misleading because the show is just as much about the women as it is about the "boys". Starlight has easily become my favorite character in the most recent season and is arguably more important to the show now than Hughie is.
    I have only completed season 1 but I enjoyed it. I have only flipped through the comics, but what I have seen comes across as juvenile garbage, but I have seen many comments that the show takes the basic premise of the comic but tones down or removes Ennis's tendencies. And the end result is better

From scans I have seen, I think the Billy Butcher of the comics is not someone I would ever be able to stomach reading about. But the show version is helped by being played by Karl "Dredd/Julius Caesar/Eros/Eomer" Urban.

I'ts definitely one of those shows where deviating from the source material made the show better than the comic. That's what I expect when people deviate, you better make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I have only completed season 1 but I enjoyed it. I have only flipped through the comics, but what I have seen comes across as juvenile garbage, but I have seen many comments that the show takes the basic premise of the comic but tones down or removes Ennis's tendencies. And the end result is better

From scans I have seen, I think the Billy Butcher of the comics is not someone I would ever be able to stomach reading about. But the show version is helped by being played by Karl "Dredd/Julius Caesar/Eros/Eomer" Urban.
    It's not just the casting (which is great), it's also the writing. The show is way better than the comics on every level - it takes out a lot of the edgelord crap and misogyny and it still has a lot of over-the-top gore/sex but it also has a lot of really solid, timely social commentary. Definitely one of the more feminist works I've seen in the genre, surprisingly enough.

Yeah, not too surprised. I like Ennis, despite himself a good chunk of the time, but the stuff I read of The Boys comic was just him at his worst.

Well in the show she does know hand-to-hand and, unlike the comics, actually partakes in superheroes but I don't think she really fights a lot of superpowered people. But yeah in the show, I wouldn't call her a warrior. She was born and raised on a farm in Modesto, went to Vought's "Super Hero" college and was the second hero to be picked for the Seven.

In the comics it's 100% a front, she never gets into a fight besides the one with Homelander where he punches her head off in one hit, and spends 95% of the comic on her sofa drunk as a skunk.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Being as fair as one can be to Ennis, Butcher is not meant to be someone people like.