Page 14 of 341 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I mean, how would you revamp a brainwashing prison?
    Leave the brainwashing component to the Venus Girdles as being a function on Queen Desira uses, and have it be presented as morally wrong.

The Venus Girdles on Paradise Island are only used to negate the powers or super powered prisoners while they remain there, but the Amazons don't use the other function.

I mean they revamp the lasso. So I can't see why not the prison. The girdles could easily be to make sure no one can use the girdles or stop them from harming themselves and others

We also have this article

https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-...c3ef3225%22%7D
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-23-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    "Immortal Wonder Woman" is a bit of head scratcher for me, Still not sure how I feel about those two issues...but I do like how it established Diana as outliving everyone including the Legion of Super Heroes.

Batman and Superman have multiple stories about them and/or their legacy stretching into the future but Diana hardly has any.

For instance, the only Legion reference to Diana I can remember right now is when Triplicate Girl talked about Diana having a daughter when the Legion met up with the League during the convoluted "Lightning Saga."

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    "Immortal Wonder Woman" is a bit of head scratcher for me, Still not sure how I feel about those two issues...but I do like how it established Diana as outliving everyone including the Legion of Super Heroes.

Batman and Superman have multiple stories about them and/or their legacy stretching into the future but Diana hardly has any.

For instance, the only Legion reference to Diana I can remember right now is when Triplicate Girl talked about Diana having a daughter when the Legion met up with the League during the convoluted "Lightning Saga."
    I felt like it would have been better if it was longer. But I liked Diana's dialogue in that book.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post

I will never understand why Diana has never been used in any major way in the Legion. It boggles the mind that an immortal demigoddess has not been featured in any LSH book that I remember. I also don't remember any LSH story that mentions the amazons or Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I will never understand why Diana has never been used in any major way in the Legion. It boggles the mind that an immortal demigoddess has not been featured in any LSH book that I remember. I also don't remember any LSH story that mentions the amazons or Diana.
    Probably because it's mainly a Superman sub-franchise so his stuff/story takes more precedence there. From what I can tell not much of the present day DC stuff seems to last to the time of the Legion, the GLs are completely gone and largely forgotten by that time period from what I've been told.

Plus it seems since COIE, the Legion spends more time stuck in cycles of endless reboots trying to re-establish themselves in a new status quo rather than add on other stuff.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Probably because it's mainly a Superman sub-franchise so his stuff/story takes more precedence there. From what I can tell not much of the present day DC stuff seems to last to the time of the Legion, the GLs are completely gone and largely forgotten by that time period from what I've been told.

Plus it seems since COIE, the Legion spends more time stuck in cycles of endless reboots trying to re-establish themselves in a new status quo rather than add on other stuff.
    Good points!

An now, back to my broken-record complaint about Wonder Woman representation in pop culture : I was just watching the first ten minutes of the new show Superman & Lois, and I teared up a little. Not just because the scene is beautiful and inspirational (and believe me, it made me shed a tear despite the fact I have never been a fan of Supes), but also because once again I wished that we could see Diana in other live-action showcases beyond the movies. I will never not believe that things like Smallvill, Lois & Clark, and now Superman & Lois are precisely what keeps Superman firmly entrenched in pop culture as a beloved icon. It just keeps cementing the character's mystique. It doesn't matter that these shows have different levels of quality; they do what they are supposed to do: perpetuate the Superman brand. I wish with all my heart that I see this happening to Wonder Woman before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I mean, how would you revamp a brainwashing prison?
    While a brainwashing prison feels really out of touch for Diana now, I do wonder if a revamp of the concept could be more about expanding the tradition of transformative justice in the Amazons' philosophy. There's so much amazing work out there in that field in the real world right now, and it would really fit Diana's ethos to lean into that. I think that probably means we're not talking about an island of incarceration and brainwashing, but an island that's a centre of excellence for transformative justice wisdom and practice, and possibly for respite, healing and change for those "villains" who need it. Something to act in contrast to the brutality of the prison system Diana is having to currently drop her enemies into (when she catches them). It doesn't really fit for me that Diana would just hand over villains to a system that won't support them in changing when she is committed to saving them herself. Orlando's issue with Mayfly is a good example of starting to explore what kind of committment Diana would have to saving her enemies over time.

I also really like the challenge this presents where transformation and healing is actually what Diana aims for with her foes, because from a writing perspective you both need to see her succeed at it (say, with Vanessa or Mayfly for example), but for villains to stay threatening she also needs to fail at it (with Circe). And the back and forth of near success (with Cheetah) creates tragedy and tension. This kind of concept seems more fit to Diana than perhaps any other DC hero. There's also potential for introducing Amazon characters on that island who work directly with these "villains", and who act as the source of some of this wisdom and practice on transformative justice, encouraging Diana when she finds it difficult or loses her way, and acting as foils to other Amazons who are hotter headed (hi Artemis).

Ok seems interesting. I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with the specific techniques around the world. I've heard some things about Rwandan prisons that sound interesting, although quite surprising (such as prisioners being allowed to leave the prison during holidays to keep them connected to the outside world). Would like to understand more of what you have in mind.

I mean if the lasso get be ridden of the whole mind control aspect why not have the Venus girdle be for the more serious violent ones. They have their own thoughts just can't attack others. Now the question is should it be on the Island or where Diana lives. I know someone said maybe it should be in it's own Dimension

Have to say between the pic with the decapitated heads and the leaks of the original plans for JL, we dodged quite the bullet with Wonder Woman only being directed by Snyder a few times.

More like an intercontinental ballistic missile but point taken.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Wonder Woman's Snydercut teaser:

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
    While a brainwashing prison feels really out of touch for Diana now, I do wonder if a revamp of the concept could be more about expanding the tradition of transformative justice in the Amazons' philosophy. There's so much amazing work out there in that field in the real world right now, and it would really fit Diana's ethos to lean into that. I think that probably means we're not talking about an island of incarceration and brainwashing, but an island that's a centre of excellence for transformative justice wisdom and practice, and possibly for respite, healing and change for those "villains" who need it. Something to act in contrast to the brutality of the prison system Diana is having to currently drop her enemies into (when she catches them). It doesn't really fit for me that Diana would just hand over villains to a system that won't support them in changing when she is committed to saving them herself. Orlando's issue with Mayfly is a good example of starting to explore what kind of committment Diana would have to saving her enemies over time.

I also really like the challenge this presents where transformation and healing is actually what Diana aims for with her foes, because from a writing perspective you both need to see her succeed at it (say, with Vanessa or Mayfly for example), but for villains to stay threatening she also needs to fail at it (with Circe). And the back and forth of near success (with Cheetah) creates tragedy and tension. This kind of concept seems more fit to Diana than perhaps any other DC hero. There's also potential for introducing Amazon characters on that island who work directly with these "villains", and who act as the source of some of this wisdom and practice on transformative justice, encouraging Diana when she finds it difficult or loses her way, and acting as foils to other Amazons who are hotter headed (hi Artemis).
    Bingo. This.

I’ve worked on Reform/Transformation Island in my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee and have developed its history to the Amazons and the when and why a “prison” is built there. It’s one of three archipelagos to Themyscira that I’m working on.

Hey maybe the brainwashing could be what some villains have done to when they got the venus girdle. Also what about the purple healing ray? I have an idea that Diana is trying to build one but it can't be used due to the different materials on the Island compared to outside world. I had the idea that Doris wanted to use that on herself and this is what caused her power.