Page 175 of 346 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 5178
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    It's infuriating. Meanwhile in the actual issue he kills off the queer woman who leads a society of almost all WLWs in the most pathetic, disrespectful way possible.

The way he talks up Jon Kent rubs me the wrong way too. He gives himself tons of kudos for making "the most powerful, iconic superhero in the world bisexual" (even though Jon's a legacy character who'll most likely be sidelined or retconned out in < 5 years), but we already had a canonically bisexual original member of the Trinity who's supposed to be on Supes' level with long-standing cultural status as a gay icon. Even though he at least acknowledges her queerness here, all we get are depowered, disposable versions of her and the Amazons who only serve to prop up his OCs.
    Jon Kent is as powerful or moreso than his dad? Guess those half human genes must be meta for him!

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    It's infuriating. Meanwhile in the actual issue he kills off the queer woman who leads a society of almost all WLWs in the most pathetic, disrespectful way possible.

The way he talks up Jon Kent rubs me the wrong way too. He gives himself tons of kudos for making "the most powerful, iconic superhero in the world bisexual" (even though Jon's a legacy character who'll most likely be sidelined or retconned out in < 5 years), but we already had a canonically bisexual original member of the Trinity who's supposed to be on Supes' level with long-standing cultural status as a gay icon. Even though he at least acknowledges her queerness here, all we get are depowered, disposable versions of her and the Amazons who only serve to prop up his OCs.
    In Taylor's defense, Jon is allowed to be explicitly and unambiguously bisexual while Diana is not. And I very much doubt he'll be retconned out.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In Taylor's defense, Jon is allowed to be explicitly and unambiguously bisexual while Diana is not. And I very much doubt he'll be retconned out.
    He has no excuse really. The man hates WW and his writing is just shock value trash.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    He has no excuse really. The man hates WW and his writing is just shock value trash.
    That doesn't really have to with what's Agent Z was talking about.

Jon's a barely defined character you can get away with making bi because he's not "the" Superman everyone thinks of while WW being either a lesbian or bi is something pretty much always consigned to elseworlds.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That doesn't really have to with what's Agent Z was talking about.

Jon's a barely defined character you can get away with making bi because he's not "the" Superman everyone thinks of while WW being either a lesbian or bi is something pretty much always consigned to elseworlds.
    Which yet again proves DC and WB have sexist people that are also having a real case of homophobia. They have turned Diana into a genetic. Weak, masculine warrior girl witth sword and shield. And Why? To protect the fragil egos of a demographic that will never support her brand and what she stands for. If WW was actually allowed to be all she is supposed to be. queer, feminist, powerhouse, a leader, an ambassador, a sister, etc. Her franchise would be in a much better place today.

Or we can just acknowledge that Diana is just a straight character... she's a queer icon sure but being bi is frankly relatively new despite a few minor scans through the ages. All of her romances have been with men, none of this make her a lesser character, not every powerful woman needs to be sexually attracted to women, there are plenty of lesbian/bi/and now notable trans amazons to explore, she's still an icon for queer folks it shouldn't change people's perception of her (frankly that's an individual problem if it does), even in 2022 with our current presumably progressive writers and DC seemingly having no real care with what people do with Diana they still had her fall for Sigfred... who can blame her tbh, and I just don't see modern canon Wondy with a girlfriend. This whole Diana being canon bi thing just seems like a publicity stunt at this point, its BS and I'm personally tired of it.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Or we can just acknowledge that Diana is just a straight character... she's a queer icon sure but being bi is frankly relatively new despite a few minor scans through the ages. All of her romances have been with men, none of this make her a lesser character, not every powerful woman needs to be sexually attracted to women, there are plenty of lesbian/bi/and now notable trans amazons to explore, she's still an icon for queer folks it shouldn't change people's perception of her (frankly that's an individual problem if it does), even in 2022 with our current presumably progressive writers and DC seemingly having no real care with what people do with Diana they still had her fall for Sigfred... who can blame her tbh, and I just don't see modern canon Wondy with a girlfriend. This whole Diana being canon bi thing just seems like a publicity stunt at this point, its BS and I'm personally tired of it.
    Dating men doesn't make her a straight character. Especially not these days, when we have several "straight" characters portrayed as explicitly queer after years of subtext.

I don't even think it bears that much of an explanation. She doesn’t live in a place with the pretentious BS that our world has.

Yeah, even in a discussion like this, using words like "straight" and "bi" seem odd, since Diana comes from a fictional society loosely based on myths that don't really require any kind of adherence to labels like that. In my head canon Diana is simply attracted to anyone who she feels attracted to, regardless of gender identity.

In my head canon she's straight. You can easily be a queer icon and not be homasexshul.

*said like Leslie Jordan R.i.P.

In any case I just wanted to share that thought. Diana has always been an ally and icon of the queer community, but decades in and she is, by all accounts, sexually attracted to men. Obviously, she's very close to her amazons and sisters, she can be attracted to women; I personally don't see it as romantic or sexual in nature.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

A bisexual person is still queer even when the person they love the most who they want to be with in a monogamous relationship is of the opposite sex. Her primary love interest is still Steve who will get most of the page time anyway. Acknowledging she is also bisexual and has had prior relationships with women doesn't upset any apple carts. Especially as, unlike other characters who have been made gay/bi, she has been invoking something queer since the 1940s ("Suffering Sappho!).

Plus all her male romances aside from Steve (and even him half the time) aren't anything to write home about anyway. And as for the "every powerful woman needs to be queer" thing...how many other powerful/well written women do we have in DC that are queer that it upsets the balance? We have Batwoman, Renee, Ivy, Harley and Jo Mullen on one end, but Donna and Cassie have never been anything but straight as far as I know, Lois Lane is still straight, any subtext between Babs and Dinah has never lead to anything and the former is getting it from Dick on the regular right now, I don't think they've ever broached the topic with Kara or Karen, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    A bisexual person is still queer even when the person they love the most who they want to be with in a monogamous relationship is of the opposite sex. Her primary love interest is still Steve who will get most of the page time anyway. Acknowledging she is also bisexual and has had prior relationships with women doesn't upset any apple carts. Especially as, unlike other characters who have been made gay/bi, she has been invoking something queer since the 1940s ("Suffering Sappho!).
    Preach! Diana's queer. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Plus all her male romances aside from Steve (and even him half the time) aren't anything to write home about anyway. And as for the "every powerful woman needs to be queer" thing...how many other powerful/well written women do we have in DC that are queer that it upsets the balance? We have Batwoman, Renee, Ivy, Harley and Jo Mullen on one end, but Donna and Cassie have never been anything but straight as far as I know, Lois Lane is still straight, any subtext between Babs and Dinah has never lead to anything and the former is getting it from Dick on the regular right now, I don't think they've ever broached the topic with Kara or Karen, etc.
    That sounds like Wonder Woman has to be gay in order to fulfill a certain quota.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That sounds like Wonder Woman has to be gay in order to fulfill a certain quota.
    Funny how this is always the go to argument against diversity of any kind as if having more than a handful of characters outside uniformity is inherently bad.