Page 26 of 343 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that the lasso's ability to compel factual "truth" from someone is and has always been limited to the individual's own subjective knowledge and feelings? Aside from maybe resisting mind-control. Someone could say something factually false that they believe to be true, correct?

And have there been any stories where the Lasso's ability to discern truth was explored?
    Someone will remember this better than I do, but there is a storyline in JLA called Golden Perfect which kind of examines this, and the consequences for Diana when she's in a situation that appears to have multiple truths. I won't spoil it, because I remember it being quite a nice concept to explore, and someone else may have a better memory of the particulars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that the lasso's ability to compel factual "truth" from someone is and has always been limited to the individual's own subjective knowledge and feelings? Aside from maybe resisting mind-control. Someone could say something factually false that they believe to be true, correct?

And have there been any stories where the Lasso's ability to discern truth was explored?
    For the most part, I believe the Lasso has been shown to be able to work around that. If someone was told something false but they thought was true the lasso would still have them revealed to be lied to. The Justice League story AlexLyo brought up also showed how the Lasso is kind of the conduit of the concept of truth, so when it gets broken reality begins to get warped by everyday lies people believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yes and no? I think there has been stories where if the subject 100% believe it's true than it can be a work around. (can't remember any of the top of my head)

But the lasso is also omniscient and it can be used to show someone the truth, even if that isn't what they feel to be true. Rebirth started off with Diana using the lasso on herself to realize someone else was lying to her. So it doesn't just make people tell the truth, but show's it to them as well, whether they witnessed the events or not.

Really, it just depends on the story. But I think the second one is much more common among the two, since I can't remember and example of the first one off the top of my head.

And then there's Cheetah who's flat out immune to the lasso, because reasons.

Edit: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Gail Simone's run go into detail with the lasso at times? I think the early part of Perez's run did as well, with Ares especially.
    Yeah, Simone added the ability of the lasso to see into people's souls. Perez had it that it could force people to see the consequences of their actions which is how she beat Ares.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Thanks for the replies everyone. Golden Perfect sounds like a great story to check out. I do like the concept of the lasso being a conduit to truth, not just a lie detector test. It can reveal much beyond an individual's preexisting understanding.

I find it a little surreal how while the magic lasso lost the ability to command people like it had in pre crisis, writers in post crisis and the modern day would go on to keep giving it incredible powers left and right.
    Healing, force field projection, demon banishment, creating fire, bringing people back from the dead, ghost busting......

Its certainly more varied than the golden age powers of 'can command people to do anything including tell the truth, absolutely unbreakable, can stretch to infinite length, and can mentally follow any command Diana may have'

WW-lassos-the-Sun-.jpg

"Marry me, Princess!"

"Let me put the sun back in place, first!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    "Marry me, Princess!"

"Let me put the sun back in place, first!"
    Steve has a problem with these things called 'priorities' XD

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I find it a little surreal how while the magic lasso lost the ability to command people like it had in pre crisis, writers in post crisis and the modern day would go on to keep giving it incredible powers left and right.
    Healing, force field projection, demon banishment, creating fire, bringing people back from the dead, ghost busting......

Its certainly more varied than the golden age powers of 'can command people to do anything including tell the truth, absolutely unbreakable, can stretch to infinite length, and can mentally follow any command Diana may have'

WW-lassos-the-Sun-.jpg
    That's a fantastic image.

WW-lassos-the-Sun-.jpg
    The lasso is one of the most powerful tools in comics. So powerful in fact, the writers sometimes have to hit Diana with the stupid stick and just have her not even think to use it.

(Like in DCeased when Diana didn't think once to use the lasso on the Zombies just to see what effect it would have. And lo and behold when Cyborg tried it on a zombified Diana she revealed the zombies are not only still intelligent but that there is a cure...but it was too late.)

The lasso is one of the most powerful tools in comics. So powerful in fact, the writers sometimes have to hit Diana with the stupid stick and just have her not even think to use it.

(Like in DCeased when Diana didn't think once to use the lasso on the Zombies just to see what effect it would have. And lo and behold when Cyborg tried it on a zombified Diana she revealed the zombies are not only still intelligent but that there is a cure...but it was too late.)
    Or in the DCAU where they took away all its powers until near the tail end of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Or in the DCAU where they took away all its powers until near the tail end of the series.
    DCAU's/Nu52 writers room.

Man...Avengers ripped into DC with this issue...

Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-25-2021 at 06:05 AM.

WW-lassos-the-Sun-.jpg
    Back when Diana was that strong too, ugh I don't need her to move stars but come on she feels so much weaker now.

Edit: scratch that, F it, I want her to be a star buster. If other heroes get the "lift infinity" treatment Diana should too.
    Last edited by Perseus; 04-25-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Back when Diana was that strong too, ugh I don't need her to move stars but come on she feels so much weaker now.

Edit: scratch that, F it, I want her to be a star buster. If other heroes get the "lift infinity" treatment Diana should too.
    She was literally punching The Batman Who Laughs through universes and timelines and killed him in a sun.

Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-25-2021 at 01:56 PM.

DCAU's/Nu52 writers room.

Man...Avengers ripped into DC with this issue...

Lovely. Is that from the Hickman run? Is it his regular Avengers or is it New Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Lovely. Is that from the Hickman run? Is it his regular Avengers or is it New Avengers?
    It was actually Jason Aaron. And regular Avengers.

She was literally punching The Batman Who Laughs through universes and timelines and killed him in a sun.

Yeah, that's a power amp not what she can normally do. I'm talking base Diana no power ups or enhancements.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor