Page 280 of 346 FirstFirst ... 180230270276277278279280281282283284290330 ... LastLast
Results 4,186 to 4,200 of 5178

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah mixing architectural styles would work, but trying to just make up something whole cloth is just weird.
    Well, the Amazons are not part of "Man's World", so they would not have visited any place off of their Island home. Their Island is unique unto themselves.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Só I decided to do 5 minutes of research online and here's what I found. A Greek writer called Pausanias says that the amazons built a temple to Artemis. Very well, that's an indication that in his era it wouldn't be absurd to describe the myth of the amazons as a group of people that worshipped a Greek God.

I give you credit, but I also have a huge issues with this for one simple reason. Multiple Greek authors also wrote that Hyperborea worshipped gods like Apollo. Hyperborea was supposedly a northern European civilization either in Britain or Scandinavia. As far as I can see, the Greeks wrote about the whole world as if they believed in the Greek Gods.

And about the Scythans, from what I know, the Scythans weren't a group of people. It was a widely used term for different groups of people in the east. So there isn't a single culture to reference there.

But above all of this. If the amazons were repulsed by Greek culture and society, why would they honor it when they were finally free? Specially since across the millenia a great deal of them did not come from Greece.

and in the bronze age Nubia was sculpted by Hippolyta and was clearly very different (even Diana and Hippolyta had different hair colors). So I don't see how Hippolyta's birthplace matters to Diana
    Why would they be fully repulsed by Greek culture and religion when some of the goddesses from said culture are responsible for creating them or at least being their patrons that bestow blessings? Common sense dictates that they'd worship them. DC's Amazons have always been connected to at least one Greek goddess going back to Marston. The only reason they exist for millennia is because of Aphrodite, it'd be an unwise middle finger to her if they decide to not honor religion around her

You said Diana wasn't Greek, but she pretty much always is since Hippolyta is always Greek. Nubias origin is kind of the outlier here, not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I do like the Greek/general Mediterranean area cause it also gives a reason to cast a Mediterranean actress for the character.

It would be pretty cool if the next WW actress they cast is a Greek woman or someone along those lines.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they do if only because Gadot/DCEU has probably solidified "WW speaks with a non-American accent" in the public mind.

[QUOTE=Alpha;6582836]I don't understand why the amazons would bring greek architecture and religion onto the island. In the original myths, they didn't worship any gods as far as I know.

And in the DCU the ones that came from Greece left because they hated what the culture and society did to them. Why would they start their own civilization and bring that other culture here? Look at the American Revolution[,/QUOTE]

There's a very easy explanation.

DC's' Amazons are not the Amazons of Myth. Marston used the basic idea of the Amazons to create a female utopia where women could exist to the utmost potential, unfettered by (toxic) masculine influences.

And these Amazons worship the Greek Goddesses (who they owe their creation, or at least freedom from Heracles , to)

And these Amazons take their architectural cues from ancient Greece. And that's pretty, and visually interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well, the Amazons are not part of "Man's World", so they would not have visited any place off of their Island home. Their Island is unique unto themselves.
    Perez did something interesting, when Themyscira was open to the delegates from Man's world. One of the delegates notes that the architecture evolved through the various styles (Doric, Corinthian,.etc) as a natural progression of their existence on the island for thousands of years...

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they do if only because Gadot/DCEU has probably solidified "WW speaks with a non-American accent" in the public mind.
    It makes me curious if they'll also maintain the Pacific-Islander casting for the next hypothetical live-action Aquaman since the popularity of Jason Momoa's portrayal of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Perez did something interesting, when Themyscira was open to the delegates from Man's world. One of the delegates notes that the architecture evolved through the various styles (Doric, Corinthian,.etc) as a natural progression of their existence on the island for thousands of years...
    Sure, I can picture that as something happening, since some (a few?) Amazons would have outside-Island contact and also books and learning from around the world.

Also, with their advanced technology, the Amazons could "tune in" to different lands to learn about them.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Sure, I can picture that as something happening, since some (a few?) Amazons would have outside-Island contact and also books and learning from around the world.

Also, with their advanced technology, the Amazons could "tune in" to different lands to learn about them.
    That's the Magic Sphere, the original explanation for the Amazon's ability to see past, current and future technology and improve upon it.

WW Magic.JPG

Some fans don't like the idea because they feel that it's cheating.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 08-31-2023 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What statement is that image a response to?

If that's an example of them using greek archicteture in a fascinating way? If so I disagree that it is interesting there
    Yeah. The only thing that picture is an example of, in my opinion, is how NOT TO draw women. But that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    It makes me curious if they'll also maintain the Pacific-Islander casting for the next hypothetical live-action Aquaman since the popularity of Jason Momoa's portrayal of the character.
    Those ar the two things that I hope they retain for WW and Aquaman in the DCU: Arthur as a Pacific islander and WW as a brown-eyed beauty who speaks English with an accent. Although I can also see/understand them wanting to separate themselves even more from Snyder's failed Snyderverse by going in a different direction with the amazon and the sea king. Then again, they are retaining Viola Davis and other elements that were part of the Snyderverse, so who knows...)
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 09-01-2023 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's the Magic Sphere, the original explanation for the Amazon's ability to see past, current and future technology and improve upon it.

WW Magic.JPG

Some fans don't like the idea because they feel that it's cheating.
    Ah, just call me psychic, lol!

Ah, just call me psychic, lol!
    some ideas just... make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    some ideas just... make sense.
    Naw, I'm Psychic!

Screenshot 2023-09-03 164034.jpgScreenshot 2023-09-03 164050.jpg

Wendy's has DC Comics toys for their kids meals this month, and there's 18 different figures & cards including Wonder Woman, Cheetah, and Nubia. They're super cute, and Nubia being included just shows that DC is really promoting her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Screenshot 2023-09-03 164034.jpgScreenshot 2023-09-03 164050.jpg

Wendy's has DC Comics toys for their kids meals this month, and there's 18 different figures & cards including Wonder Woman, Cheetah, and Nubia. They're super cute, and Nubia being included just shows that DC is really promoting her.
    Those are super cute!!!! And Nubia wearing her original outfit is awesome (BTW, that Cheetah has to be Debbie Domaine, right??)!

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Those are super cute!!!! And Nubia wearing her original outfit is awesome (BTW, that Cheetah has to be Debbie Domaine, right??)!
    The card lists her as Barbara Ann, sadly. The Debbi erasure is sad indeed.