Page 29 of 345 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I wish that New52 E2 WW was able to get fleshed out a bit more. I liked that she was the first superhero, the gods designs were good.
    Yeah, I own a figure of this. It’s pretty good, would have liked this as her New 52 main continuity outfit.

I like the a-symmetrical gauntlet on the arm.

I was really excited when that Etta Candy mini series was announced, only to become quite bummed out when it was dangled in front of me only to be yanked away.

Alot of fun stuff coming up, though it was not fun to have such a delightful premise dangled before me only for it to be yanked away.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I was really excited when that Etta Candy mini series was announced, only to become quite bummed out when it was dangled in front of me only to be yanked away.

Alot of fun stuff coming up, though it was not fun to have such a delightful premise dangled before me only for it to be yanked away.
    Yeah...

All we can do is cross our fingers it becomes a back-up for the main title.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah...

All we can do is cross our fingers it becomes a back-up for the main title.
    Give us Etta Candy the Candy Stripe~!

I just remembered next month we are getting 4 Wonder books.

I just remembered next month we are getting 4 Wonder books.
    Feels great doesn't it?

Wonder if this was how Green Lantern fans felt when Johns had four monthly books coming out for his favorite superhero

Feels great doesn't it?

Wonder if this was how Green Lantern fans felt when Johns had four monthly books coming out for his favorite superhero
    Feels great for my heart, feels terrible for my wallet. XD

No way am I gonna complain though, who knows how long it will last. I'm ready for all the fresh content.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-04-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Feels great for my heart, feels terrible for my wallet. XD

No way am I gonna complain though, who knows how long it will last. I'm ready for all the fresh content.
    Maybe consider DC Universe Infinite? Its on a six month delay but worthwhile if you have wallet troubles

Maybe consider DC Universe Infinite? Its on a six month delay but worthwhile if you have wallet troubles
    I'm a collector so I get most of my comics at my local store.

But sometimes I buy doubles on digital so I can just read them whenever I want, guess I won't be doing that for a while though.

Although, with the prices going up, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a DC Universe Infinite account, plus that way I can catch up on some older issues I haven't read yet.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-04-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm not a fan of Etta Candy having brown skin. Etta was supposed to be a fat joke that was somehow trully empowering, and it's weird, but it worked. It's a weird line to walk, but it works. But when you portray her as an african american you start to talk an even more dangerous line of creating a double stereotype and trying to make it empowering.

I picture a Melissa Mccarthy as Etta Candy. Not so much her recent efforts, but her at the prime of her career. As Sookie in Gilmore Girls and later on in Bridesmaids. Almost like a female Jack Black but even more adorable, demented and feisty.
    As a Black American, I have to agree. Speaking of which, was it ever explained why Etta became a black woman, and when did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    As a Black American, I have to agree. Speaking of which, was it ever explained why Etta became a black woman, and when did that happen?
    It happened in 2011 if I remember correctly, with New 52, she was much slimmer though. I don't think they ever said why it happened.

When Rebirth came, they altered her body type, but kept her ethnicity.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    This isn't an attack on you or Alpha, but this is a genuine and honest question. With representations like Adele, Melissa McCarthy, the body positivity movement, and an effort to show more body diversity in general, do we still need a "fat joke" to represent body empowerment? While I can understand why the original incarnation of Etta was needed at that moment in time, I would argue we've moved past needing that interpretation of Etta. Body empowerment today has evolved, and sadly, when white women are the only example of body empowerment, then the message is not as all-inclusive as some people may hope. White women - and white people - do not represent everyone. I know this is something that we as a society are coming to terms with, but it still needs to be said.

I'm indifferent to Etta's race, but I just wanted to ask that question as I'm open to your interpretations of the character.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    This isn't an attack on you or Alpha, but this is a genuine and honest question. With representations like Adele, Melissa McCarthy, the body positivity movement, and an effort to show more body diversity in general, do we still need a "fat joke" to represent body empowerment? While I can understand why the original incarnation of Etta was needed at that moment in time, I would argue we've moved past needing that interpretation of Etta. Body empowerment today has evolved, and sadly, when white women are the only example of body empowerment, then the message is not as all-inclusive as some people may hope. White women - and white people - do not represent everyone. I know this is something that we as a society are coming to terms with, but it still needs to be said.

I'm indifferent to Etta's race, but I just wanted to ask that question as I'm open to your interpretations of the character.
    Fat jokes aren’t needed, and I understand Marston may have been a bit heavy handed with that stereotype however...Etta was race swapped to promote diversity in the body positivity movement?

To be clear, whenever I speak of what Etta Candy should be (in contrast to what she has been for the majority of her stories) I am referring to her Golden Age conceptualization. While I would update the dialogue and the tone somewhat, I think the concept of Etta Candy as a feisty woman of action is actually still quite rare. The only film I can remember about a fat woman as an action hero is SPY (coincidentally with Melissa Mccarthy).

I mean, in Etta Candy's very first appearance Dr Poison is shooting a gun at Diana and Etta jumps out of nowhere and tackles Dr Maru, and then starts waving a baseball bat at her to intimidate her into putting herself behind bars. What other action hero do we have like that? I mean, Diana can totally handle herself but Etta always goes in first towards the bad guy like she's the one that will take down the bad guy, and a lot of times she actually suceeds.

We do have a lot of inspiring figures in other areas, but not in this particular one. Heck, there are only three over weight superheroes I can think of and two of them are joke characters (Faith from Valiant comics, Bouncing Boy and Big Bertha from Great Lakes Avengers). There are other overweight characters like Blob and Granny Goodness and Amanda Waller (most of the time), but none of them are heroes. And none of them are civillians that jump in front of the super powerful hero to defend the one that can lift elephants.

I understand your point about also having overweight representation for women of other ethnicities (heck, Amanda Waller has to struggle to stay fat) but the problem is that Etta is the typical strong black woman, except she is somewhat aloof and also loves food.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-04-2021 at 03:50 PM.