Page 43 of 342 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

When I joined this forum - and that was before the Nu52 hit - mentioning John Bryne's run on here was like throwing a verbal incendiary bomb on a thread. I think Hippolyta as the Golden Age Wonder Woman was a sticking point for many people. A significant number of posters seem to consider his run a low point before the 'daughter of Zeus' nonsense happened.

It was odd to me because I love the Goddess of Truth stuff and how he did the Wonder Family. Diana, Artemis, Donna, Cassie and even including Etrigan as a supporting character in his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It's also the new branding for this era. And Infinite Frontier isn't a special, it's a limited series.

Anyway I agree that Justice Incarnate should have a WW character. Who do you think should be there?
    Wasn't the person asked but I'll answer anyway because now that it's been brought to my attention I can't unsee that Wonder representation is missing. (Knowing DC they probably think Mary Marvel is the Wonder representative.) Though it seems Flashpoint Batman isn't part of Justice Incarnate just a free agent because of course he is.

Anyway, considering she appears in one of the "world teases" when Barry runs through the omniverse, I'd say Maria Mendoza (Earth-6) should be on the team or at least play a bigger role in the limited series.

Fury/Donna (Earth 2) would also be interesting. Especially because she belongs to a world that had "fixed" itself the last time we saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    When I joined this forum - and that was before the Nu52 hit - mentioning John Bryne's run on here was like throwing a verbal incendiary bomb on a thread. I think Hippolyta as the Golden Age Wonder Woman was a sticking point for many people. A significant number of posters seem to consider his run a low point before the 'daughter of Zeus' nonsense happened.

It was odd to me because I love the Goddess of Truth stuff and how he did the Wonder Family. Diana, Artemis, Donna, Cassie and even including Etrigan as a supporting character in his run.
    Yeah, Azzarello quickly made it clear that the runs that came before his weren't as bad as they were thought to be originally. Even the worst of the worst didn't have stone-aged sex pirate Amazons and adultery in Diana's backstory.

I wouldn't list the mirror twin origin as a high point for Byrne's run.

While I greatly dislike the Azzarello run, I hesitate to call it the worst WW run. It might be in the top five but not number one.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-28-2021 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wouldn't list the mirror twin origin as a high point for Byrne's run.
    It's still better than having no relation to Wonder Woman whatsoever. He saved Donna from becoming an even bigger mess down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    It's still better than having no relation to Wonder Woman whatsoever. He saved Donna from becoming an even bigger mess down the line.
    Her relationship to Diana had already been restored before they retconned it again. Byrne's idea didn't do Donna any good in the short or long term.

Her relationship to Diana had already been restored before they retconned it again. Byrne's idea didn't do Donna any good in the short or long term.
    Not really. She teamed up with Diana for a couple of issues but that was it. If not for Byrne she would've remained a non-WW character for god knows how long.

Not really. She teamed up with Diana for a couple of issues but that was it. If not for Byrne she would've remained a non-WW character for god knows how long.
    Donna appearing in a Wonder Woman book at some point is pretty much inevitable. How well she is used is a different matter. The mirror twin did nothing to make Donna feel like her own character and Byrne failed to establish a meaningful relationship between her and Diana.

In terms of use, Jiminez was much better.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-29-2021 at 04:04 AM.

Donna appearing in a Wonder Woman book at some point is pretty much inevitable. How well she is used is a different matter. The mirror twin did nothing to make Donna feel like her own character and Byrne failed to establish a meaningful relationship between her and Diana.

In terms of use, Jiminez was much better.
    Jimenez was better, but he was building off of Byrne's run. Without the mirror twin origin Donna would've remained a complete stranger to Diana, who looks very similar to her, has similar powers and is called Wonder Girl, but has nothing to do with Wonder Woman. I'm not the biggest fan of Byrne's run or of his version of Donna's origin, but this version is still much, much better than the mess that came before and after.

Byrne had the right intentions; restore Donna's connection to Diana. He just went about it in the most complicated way possible but the end result was getting to see the 'Wonder Family' together as a family. Prior to that Donna was basically a stranger to Diana. I mostly blame the stories that came afterwards for making her story a mess.

Jimenez was better, but he was building off of Byrne's run. Without the mirror twin origin Donna would've remained a complete stranger to Diana, who looks very similar to her, has similar powers and is called Wonder Girl, but has nothing to do with Wonder Woman. I'm not the biggest fan of Byrne's run or of his version of Donna's origin, but this version is still much, much better than the mess that came before and after.
    True, at least he tried.

And the 90s join the fray.

From WB's Studio Tour.

Nice!

Background looks like the Legion of Doom vs the Justice League too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://twitter.com/docshaner/status...772726278?s=21
    https://twitter.com/tomkingtk/status...549605382?s=21

Both King and Shaner reading/drawing WW? Pretty sure there’s a King WW project coming down the line. He’s already finished the script for Supergirl so he’s already working on his next projects, which he said would be much lighter in tone.
    He mentioned a few weeks ago on the Word Balloon podcast that he had three DC projects in the pipeline, one has been revealed so I guess there's still two chances at him doing a WW project.