Page 49 of 342 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Genuine question, why do people like the idea that the amazons were sent to Paradise Island as a punishment rather than a simple blessing for a group of warriors in a world that didn't allow them to be happy. I'm not here to give counter argumentd, I just wanna hear you out

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Genuine question, why do people like the idea that the amazons were sent to Paradise Island as a punishment rather than a simple blessing for a group of warriors in a world that didn't allow them to be happy. I'm not here to give counter argumentd, I just wanna hear you out
    I don't think the Amazons going to Themyscira should be a punishment. That was an element of Perez's reboot I could've done without.

I do, however, like the presence of Doom's Doorway, and I assume your question relates to that. As said, Themyscira isn't and shouldn't be a punishment, and I don't see the Amazons tasked with guarding the Doorway as one. Just a duty/responsibility to go along with the isolated paradise they've been granted.

It gives the Amazons a sense a purpose even in their isolation. It gives them motivation to train to be their very best at all times. I like the element of danger it represents that even in this paradise created for them, there is still something to be guarded against.

It could play into Hippolyta's efforts to keep Diana from leaving.
    "What are you talking about going to the Man's World? We have a perfectly noble and necessary mission right here at home. So park your keister kiddo, and let's have no more 'I want to see the Man's World' crazy talk."

It also opens potential story possibilities. Suppose a villain tries to break the Doorway open to harness the evil power within or just to watch the world burn.

I emphasize again I don't see this as punishment. Although Doom's Doorway represents an element of danger and acts as a potential Pandora's box, I don't see guarding it as a high casualty duty. Maybe one or two close-calls in the thousands of years they've been on Themyscira, but not something that's been leaving a growing body count.
    They're just making sure a big scary door stays closed--it's not the front-line at Mordor.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I don't think the Amazons going to Themyscira should be a punishment. That was an element of Perez's reboot I could've done without.

I do, however, like the presence of Doom's Doorway, and I assume your question relates to that. As said, Themyscira isn't and shouldn't be a punishment, and I don't see the Amazons tasked with guarding the Doorway as one. Just a duty/responsibility to go along with the isolated paradise they've been granted.

It gives the Amazons a sense a purpose even in their isolation. It gives them motivation to train to be their very best at all times. I like the element of danger it represents that even in this paradise created for them, there is still something to be guarded against.

It could play into Hippolyta's efforts to keep Diana from leaving.
    "What are you talking about going to the Man's World? We have a perfectly noble and necessary mission right here at home. So park your keister kiddo, and let's have no more 'I want to see the Man's World' crazy talk."

It also opens potential story possibilities. Suppose a villain tries to break the Doorway open to harness the evil power within or just to watch the world burn.

I emphasize again I don't see this as punishment. Although Doom's Doorway represents an element of danger and acts as a potential Pandora's box, I don't see guarding it as a high casualty duty. Maybe one or two close-calls in the thousands of years they've been on Themyscira, but not something that's been leaving a growing body count.
    They're just making sure a big scary door stays closed--it's not the front-line at Mordor.
    My feelings are the same, I don't see it as a punishment just a task or responsibility. I don't always paint Azzerello in a good light, for good reason, but its hard to disagree with his statement about Paradise Island, if its paradise where is the story or something like that, I'm paraphrasing. Obviously, I don't think the island needs to be over run by demons every now and again but, stuff needs to happen, it needs to be more then just an oasis or a heaven.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    My feelings are the same, I don't see it as a punishment just a task or responsibility. I don't always paint Azzerello in a good light, for good reason, but its hard to disagree with his statement about Paradise Island, if its paradise where is the story or something like that, I'm paraphrasing. Obviously, I don't think the island needs to be over run by demons every now and again but, stuff needs to happen, it needs to be more then just an oasis or a heaven.
    Perez said his Paradise Island wasn't just a Club Med for Amazons. They need a purpose for being there, be it Doom's Doorway, incarcerating Ares, or something else.

Also it gives them a story arc, once the monsters are freed and inevitably defeated, the Amazons melt their weapons and begin to live a life of peace and begin to truly engage even more with the outside world.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

They were sent there as a punishment? Hm, must've missed that in Perez's story.

It felt like a punishment to me, but it's fine for you to disagree

IMG_20210804_103857.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Very disrespectful to the sacred texts brought to us by Tom Taylor here, Vordan.

There isn't a single reference to her wanting to hump Clark's bones. Completely out of character.

(Damn, this series had some bad art)
    "Im the spirit of truth; that makes anything I say right."

Wh...whaaaaaaat?
    Are you sure that is not a MAD Magazine parody of a comic book?
    Nobody could come up with such bad dialogue and claim it is a serious narrative...right?

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    "Im the spirit of truth; that makes anything I say right."

Wh...whaaaaaaat?
    Are you sure that is not a MAD Magazine parody of a comic book?
    Nobody could come up with such bad dialogue and claim it is a serious narrative...right?
    It’s a parody of Injustice and Tom Taylor’s characterization of WW as Superman’s “devil on the shoulder”/love sick school girl.

This the actual dialogue, not that it’s much better.

IMG_20210804_103857.jpg
    You're right. It's been a while since I read that. I prefer the Amazons achieving great feats of science. No idea what's wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Injustice WW and Superman summarized in three panels lmao:

You made me almost puke.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Having them be sent to PI as a punishment just adds more to the story for some. I like it to be an even 50/50.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It’s a parody of Injustice and Tom Taylor’s characterization of WW as Superman’s “devil on the shoulder”/love sick school girl.

This the actual dialogue, not that it’s much better.

Wonder Supersimp is the worst take. Jesus.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Wonder Supersimp is the worst take. Jesus.
    Taylor didn't earn the worst Wonder Woman writer title for nothing.

IMG_20210804_103857.jpg
    I mean not " punishment" per se. I like the definition of " doing a good deed for a past wrong doing"

They lost their way. The Goddesses have given them a new mission " in which there is new honor".... If they don't give up that mission, they are blessed with imortality, and their sins expunged. They also get to live in paradise, with endless bounty.

The bracelets needing to be worn are akin to wearing a Star of David or a Crucifix. A religious item worn to remember your faith .