Page 6 of 334 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

So Max Lord is out of the picture, at least for now. Unfortunately, now we have to deal with his lame ass daughter

The Dark Multiverse: War of the Gods special was interesting. Feels a bit closer to the current JLD book, Zatanna gets a rather semi-prominent showing, than the Perez stuff at the time of the actual WoG event but decent-ish enough Elseworld.

Also like the original event maybe tried to do to much even for an over-sized issue.
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-01-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    So Max Lord is out of the picture, at least for now. Unfortunately, now we have to deal with his lame ass daughter
    I highly doubt he's out of the picture. This entire run has been dedicated to him and even though it "seems" he's gone, I don't see us being that lucky.

But yeah, Liar Liar is trash. Hope we never see her again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The Dark Multiverse: War of the Gods special was interesting. Feels a bit closer to the current JLD book, Zatanna gets a rather semi-prominent showing than the Perez stuff at the time of the actual WoG event but decent-ish enough Elseworld.

Also like the original event maybe tried to do to much even for an over-sized issue.
    It was decent, but definitely tried to do too much for its size.

One thing that weirded me out was seeing that post-Crisis design for Phobos again. That design is just so god awful bad. Which is weird because Deimos and Eris looked rad back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I highly doubt he's out of the picture. This entire run has been dedicated to him and even though it "seems" he's gone, I don't see us being that lucky.

But yeah, Liar Liar is trash. Hope we never see her again.

It was decent, but definitely tried to do too much for its size.

One thing that weirded me out was seeing that post-Crisis design for Phobos again. That design is just so god awful bad. Which is weird because Deimos and Eris looked rad back then.
    Yeah, Deimos is the real weak link of Ares’ kids designs.

Though I liked he got some use rather than be an all Hecate show.

I think the core premise for the WW comic has been all wrong, since the Silver Age. While Batman, Superman, Flash and Green Lantern seem perfectly iconic in their elements, Wonder Woman feels entirely irrelevant ..in hers. The presence of the U.S. military, and the symbolism of big, important cities don't feel organic to Wonder Woman, the way Gotham does to Batman.

Truth is NOT what Wonder Woman was intended to embody, for the WW comic, and I think that's important to say, because we keep getting hung up, on her representing truth. She never should have been a goddess of truth. I laughed, when John Byrne made her so.

Truth, as creator Marston well understood, ..is the weapon Diana uses to champion the freedom of others, and freedom is what Wonder Woman is really about. Maxwell Lord isn't an affront to truth, for truth's sake, but manipulates the truth to enslave others to his power, ..and that is why he's a perfect counter to Wonder Woman. I wouldn't make him her arch-anything, but, he's in the right ballpark - an a-lister in her rogues gallery.

By comparison, changing Steve and Diana's relationship into something more spontaneous, with the capacity to challenge them, in some way that feels natural to us, ..seems impossible. I wasn't crazy about the story or that stupid Liar-Liar, ..but, Max and Diana were more intriguing in a few panels, than Steve and Diana have been, since World War II, ..and he's a super-villain. Something worked, here.

Things keep popping up, coming out of World War II, that make you want to settle Steve Trevor in a sweet, Rockwellian town, somewhere, with a family that loves him, ..while the rest of us slip away in the I-Jet, with Etta, Desira and some blue dude from another dimension. This last story, with Max, is one of those things.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-03-2020 at 04:18 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Donna had some great moments in the Last Stories of the DC Universe. Diana not so much. "You are your father's daughter." Really, Hippolyta?!

Donna had some great moments in the Last Stories of the DC Universe. Diana not so much. "You are your father's daughter." Really, Hippolyta?!
    Yeah, even these casual references to daddy-Zeus status just annoy me to no end. Like rubbing salt in the wound.

January is when this all this Death Metal stuff ends, so that can't come soon enough.

Diana looked like she was fighting Slade on even terms... the art made it look cool sure but this should have been a far more one sided battle. Though tbf Deathstroke didn't land a single hit so, better then their last one on one encounter. Lair Lair gets a bit interesting with her metal breakdown, however she still doesn't seem to have any reason for wanting max dead, part of me thinks she's being controlled by the Queen of Fables given the illusions but.... I'm not about to give Tamaki any hope. Also, what is with her and daddy issues? Is DC really pushing this hard to have Diana be super associated with her "dad"?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Diana looked like she was fighting Slade on even terms... the art made it look cool sure but this should have been a far more one sided battle. Though tbf Deathstroke didn't land a single hit so, better then their last one on one encounter. Lair Lair gets a bit interesting with her metal breakdown, however she still doesn't seem to have any reason for wanting max dead, part of me thinks she's being controlled by the Queen of Fables given the illusions but.... I'm not about to give Tamaki any hope. Also, what is with her and daddy issues? Is DC really pushing this hard to have Diana be super associated with her "dad"?
    The most recent issue actually managed to pique my interest. If it's revealed that Liar has been manipulated by another Wonder Woman villain disguised as the rabbit all this time it would greatly improve my opinion of this run. My mind initially went to Duke of Deception, but Queen of Fables would work too given the theming of Liar's delusions.

That and Diana proclaiming herself to be “the universe’s greatest warrior.” Seemed OOC to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    That and Diana proclaiming herself to be “the universe’s greatest warrior.” Seemed OOC to me.
    Yea, that title doesn't seem to fit considering she doesn't usually fight beings worthy enough to give her that title. Usually is goons, mercs, robots, or street levelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    I felt same with saying she’s stood over slain enemies like BMWL before.

It makes her come across as a bit egotistical, which is not a trait I want to associate with Diana.
    Last edited by Dipter; 12-08-2020 at 10:08 AM.

I don't mind DC calling Diana the "universes greatest warrior", but it needs to be shown consistently and that she isn't a Zena warrior woman clone. I think this is one of the draw backs with DC's current chief teams, its one extreme or the other, there is no room for nuance in the WW character. She is a warrior and comes from a culture that values certain warrior traits, but what does that mean?

I don't think it makes Diana egotistical to be proud of her skills, especially if she earned that title in some universal fighting tournament. Egotistical would be if she boasted and walked with too much pride claiming that none can beat her or that she looked down on others for being inferior.

Yeah, I don't think any WW fan wanted to read that.