Page 9 of 346 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Most of Bloodlines problems would be solved if it had stuck with the original plan of making it a Cheetah-lead movie and dropped the Kapatelis women altogether. Because she got screwed over and they didn't benefit that much (especially Julia). Get Claudia Black back and we'd be in business. Plus if Cheetah has the main role, you can give Giganta her mid-movie fight scene in addition to her earlier one so she isn't taken out too quickly.

That would still leave the problem of Hippolyta's characterization, but at least it would have less problems. Still better than the 09 movie since Diana has a better characterization and while Hippolyta isn't great in Bloodlines, I still find her far less obnoxiously terrible than Steve or Etta in 09.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Most of Bloodlines problems would be solved if it had stuck with the original plan of making it a Cheetah-lead movie and dropped the Kapatelis women altogether. Because she got screwed over and they didn't benefit that much (especially Julia). Get Claudia Black back and we'd be in business. Plus if Cheetah has the main role, you can give Giganta her mid-movie fight scene in addition to her earlier one so she isn't taken out too quickly.

That would still leave the problem of Hippolyta's characterization, but at least it would have less problems. Still better than the 09 movie since Diana has a better characterization and while Hippolyta isn't great in Bloodlines, I still find her far less obnoxiously terrible than Steve or Etta in 09.
    I think the writers made the best decision regarding Cheetah. There's no way their depiction of Cheetah and the Diana/Barbara Ann dynamic would ever compete with Patty's version. I'm also happy we got to see Silver Swan in animation. Cheetah is obviously a character that is going to stick around the Wonder Woman mythos and the DCU mythos in general - even if we don't always like her portrayal. Silver Swan is a character that needs more mainstream attention to help with her popularity and longevity, and this movie was a great showing for the character.

As for Hippolyta, I liked her characterization, especially in connection with Julia's characterization. There was obviously a strong theme between Diana and Vanessa as the daughters who do not live up to their "Bloodlines." They both felt they'd disappointed their mothers in some unforgivable way, and they chose different ways to cope with that guilt. It was that shared experience that allowed Diana to truly see Vanessa and help Vanessa redeem at the end. It was also obvious Hippolyta loved Diana endlessly, but she felt her role as a queen meant a certain coldness and distance from everyone around her - including her daughter. We see a softer - but still in control and regal - Hippolyta at the end when she is reunited with her daughter.

All that to say, I would make the same decision if I were a WB executive. Bloodlines is much more aligned with how WB wants to characterize Diana today.

At least Hippolyta got to redeem herself in the end and come around to her daughter, which is more than we got with Julia, who was pretty awful right up until her death.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least Hippolyta got to redeem herself in the end and come around to her daughter, which is more than we got with Julia, who was pretty awful right up until her death.
    Yeah, I didn’t expect either of the Kapatelis women to show up since I avoided most advertising for it but I hope there’s more WW-media that comes along that does to the two better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I didn’t expect either of the Kapatelis women to show up since I avoided most advertising for it but I hope there’s more WW-media that comes along that does to the two better.
    Julia was handled pretty well in a recent DC Super Hero Girls episode .

Incredible Member

With the spreads of the post Future State teams, I wondered if you all would be interested in Silver Swan, Mayfly, or Paula Von Gunther on the Suicide Squad. This way they remain redeemed, and they're forced by Amanda Waller to do evil deed. This keeps them in the DC Universe and also allows the Wonder mythos to be a part of the Suicide Squad - a team DC is obviously highly invested in making that brand successful. What do you think, or is there another Wonder villain you'll like to see as a long-term member?

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    With the spreads of the post Future State teams, I wondered if you all would be interested in Silver Swan, Mayfly, or Paula Von Gunther on the Suicide Squad. This way they remain redeemed, and they're forced by Amanda Waller to do evil deed. This keeps them in the DC Universe and also allows the Wonder mythos to be a part of the Suicide Squad - a team DC is obviously highly invested in making that brand successful. What do you think, or is there another Wonder villain you'll like to see as a long-term member?
    Honestly, between it being a Harley vehicle, the very bad movie, and garbage like that upcoming Kill the Justice League video game I have no patience for the Suicide Squad so I can’t say I’m interested in seeing these two sections of the DC universe crossing paths.
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-17-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Being on the Suicide Squad does not mean they are redeemed. In fa t, it would be a very easy way to make them evil again.

I'd be cool with Silver Swan on the team, I guess. It's not like she'd get much pagetime since they seem to have the dedicated Harley/Deadshot/Croc/Boomerang team. Warmaster and Mayfly, not so much. I'd love to see Mayfly become a full-fledged Wonder Woman ally, though.

There's a precedent for having Silver Swan on the Suicide Squad since the second Swan joined the team (very briefly though). But it's probably better to keep WW characters away from Harley Quinn.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Never read any of them but the three original OGN here are at the school library I work out of and they seemed pretty popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Never read any of them but the three original OGN here are at the school library I work out of and they seemed pretty popular.
    I've read all three of them (and I've even read the novel Warbringer is based on) and found them pretty good WW stories .

That's actually a great way to expand her popularity, by making her villains famous outside her own world. But I'm not sure those villains would become very popular on Suicide Squad. Maybe Paula Von Gunther. Other villains that I think could stand out in Suicide Squad are Dr Poison and Giganta.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the writers made the best decision regarding Cheetah. There's no way their depiction of Cheetah and the Diana/Barbara Ann dynamic would ever compete with Patty's version. I'm also happy we got to see Silver Swan in animation. Cheetah is obviously a character that is going to stick around the Wonder Woman mythos and the DCU mythos in general - even if we don't always like her portrayal. Silver Swan is a character that needs more mainstream attention to help with her popularity and longevity, and this movie was a great showing for the character.

As for Hippolyta, I liked her characterization, especially in connection with Julia's characterization. There was obviously a strong theme between Diana and Vanessa as the daughters who do not live up to their "Bloodlines." They both felt they'd disappointed their mothers in some unforgivable way, and they chose different ways to cope with that guilt. It was that shared experience that allowed Diana to truly see Vanessa and help Vanessa redeem at the end. It was also obvious Hippolyta loved Diana endlessly, but she felt her role as a queen meant a certain coldness and distance from everyone around her - including her daughter. We see a softer - but still in control and regal - Hippolyta at the end when she is reunited with her daughter.

All that to say, I would make the same decision if I were a WB executive. Bloodlines is much more aligned with how WB wants to characterize Diana today.
    IDK, if they were basing it off the Rucka Rebirth run, the dynamic between Diana and Barbara Ann would still be distinct from Patty's. The Joker and Lex get to star as main antagonists in multiple iterations at once, and despite appearing in animation a lot, Cheetah is always a bit/side character and never the main star like they get to be. Even in WW84 she has to share the story with Max. Silver Swan needs to be utilized in outside media more, as do all of her villains, but I'm not sure this was the story to do it. Vanessa's arc as the Swan in the comics was much more effective because it had more room to breath. In this movie, they are attempting a truncated origin story as well as doing a Swan arc, and the rushed nature impacts the characterizations of the Kapatelis women: Julia comes across as a neglectful mother who is then killed off, and Vanessa comes across as just an annoying angsty teen who's a little harder to sympathize with compared to the comic version who had to content with the death of Lucy Spears and mental attacks from Dr. Psycho.

The common complaint for the movie is that it's too many stories adapted in one short movie: origin, Villainy Inc, Medusa and Vanessa to the point where none of it is wholly satisfying aside from a "shut your brain off and enjoy it in a Hush-style capacity (which, IMO, is still better than the 09 film)" Cutting out the Swan stuff would help the focus a bit. Ideally, we should have long ago had an animated series that would feature Vanessa's arc over a longer length of time, same with everyone else. As it is, it's rushed and especially doesn't do Julia any favors, and Cheetah should have probably been cut entirely since it seems like they only have her here because it's expected she'd be here.