Page 92 of 343 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 5138
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The only thing controversial here should be DC letting Tom Taylor write Wonder Woman again.
    The biggest controversy is for us. Who will be here trying to guess how long will it take tom taylor to portray SG as the one with the higher moral ground in the relationship. Even though the iconic embassador of peace and equality is right there. And how he'll will probably make sg the bigger powerhouse too. Because she's a kryptonian. Who cares if an amazon with multiple god like powers is around.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Been wanting to see Diana get a female love interest for a while, but dammit that's not it for me.

spoilers:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    It’s not like anyone had a problem in DC Bombshells when Lois dated Supergirl. Since this is an elseworlds too, it would be the same when it comes to changing ages of characters.
    I don’t see any controversy.
    I think DC's shown her kissing/being kissed by girls enough that in a little while, the push for SuperCorp and such will manifest as Kara coming out as bisexual. I don't really agree with that take, but I think it's a "when" rather than an "if" with her in particular. They may float it with Power Girl first, given she has a significant female friend which some view romantically. I don't think either of them are bi, but that's not really important-- especially where internet shipping is inclined. I'd normally joke that blood relations are the only thing the internet doesn't ship, but I've been shown the world of Supernatural shipping and my mind's yet to recover.

I'm fine with the age thing in the Elseworlds title since it's pretty clear both Kara and Kal are probably very early adults, and I wouldn't be balking about ages if he kissed Diana... I'd balk because of my dislike for SuperWonder. Remember, Kara's supposed to be his older cousin if we remove the concept that she arrives late. Presumably, she's older than Kal here too.

My problem is more that I'm tired of SuperWonder and this seems a way to do that while also having Clois as well as continuing the trend of Diana having a love interest tied to another IP instead of one created to be her love interest that can play into her own stories and thematic. Why not Stephanie Trevor? Etta Candy? Artemis?

Nope. Supergirl. That'll make a headline!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-05-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Been wanting to see Diana get a female love interest for a while, but dammit that's not it for me.
    spoilers:
    It's also just weird because in main continuity, when Diana and Kara share a panel together it's usually to fight. (is...is that where Taylor sees the chemistry?)
    end of spoilers
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

We've had bullets & bracelets, laser and bracelets, arrows & bracelets, even if it is a variation this is one thing I like to see in every WW origin.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    spoilers:
    It's also just weird because in main continuity, when Diana and Kara share a panel together it's usually to fight. (is...is that where Taylor sees the chemistry?)
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Keep in mind the only Taylor works I've enjoyed are Nightwing and Superman: Son of Kal-El, but I think it's just that he wanted to do SuperWonder and knows that the CW fans were really let down that Kara didn't hook up with Lena.

Tom seems very intent on giving people what they want, sometimes to the detriment of his stories. This manifests in referencing memes or just making stuff that's easy to share on social media that affirms something. There's value in that, to be sure, but without having read Dark Knights of Steel #2, this reminds me of when he had that congregation of all DC's great minds in DCeased and some... definitely didn't belong as much as others. Damian's reason for being in the list was "because he's Batman," because the meme is Batman is smart, you know? I know Damian is smart, but it rips me right out of the story when he does that sort of thing and he does it a lot.

He likes to shill his favorites. He does weird **** where Diana is concerned. Frankly speaking, I don't think he's a particularly good writer but he's very good at reading the room he wants to be in and writing to please that room.

Diana usually mentors Kara and is a contemporary of her cousin who is now at least 15 years her senior, or nearly double her age if not actually double. It's weird to see, but as I said above, the rules of this universe make it technically less of an age-issue... It's just our baggage as comic readers making it weird. I'm sure SuperCorp people are going to be quite pleased.

EDIT: I did a quick search on Twitter using "Supergirl," and lo, I am a prophet. WORSHIP ME, MORTALS!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-05-2021 at 09:33 PM.
    May we never forget:

spoilers:

I think DC's shown her kissing/being kissed by girls enough that in a little while, the push for SuperCorp and such will manifest as Kara coming out as bisexual. I don't really agree with that take, but I think it's a "when" rather than an "if" with her in particular. They may float it with Power Girl first, given she has a significant female friend which some view romantically. I don't think either of them are bi, but that's not really important-- especially where internet shipping is inclined. I'd normally joke that blood relations are the only thing the internet doesn't ship, but I've been shown the world of Supernatural shipping and my mind's yet to recover.

I'm fine with the age thing in the Elseworlds title since it's pretty clear both Kara and Kal are probably very early adults, and I wouldn't be balking about ages if he kissed Diana... I'd balk because of my dislike for SuperWonder. Remember, Kara's supposed to be his older cousin if we remove the concept that she arrives late. Presumably, she's older than Kal here too.

My problem is more that I'm tired of SuperWonder and this seems a way to do that while also having Clois as well as continuing the trend of Diana having a love interest tied to another IP instead of one created to be her love interest that can play into her own stories and thematic. Why not Stephanie Trevor? Etta Candy? Artemis?

Nope. Supergirl. That'll make a headline!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Like you said, it’s an Elseworld where they all seem to be young adults/older teens so it’s weird but whatevs it’s his elseworld. But I’m pretty sure Taylor knows exactly what he’s doing here and is banking on those clickbait titles of “Wonder Woman Kisses Supergirl” clickbait nonsense to grab eyes on his book
    end of spoilers

Controversy creates cash and all that.
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-05-2021 at 09:35 PM.

spoilers:
    Like you said, it’s an Elseworld where they all seem to be young adults/older teens but I’m pretty sure Taylor knows exactly what he’s doing here and is banking on those clickbait titles of “Wonder Woman Kisses Supergirl” clickbait nonsense to grab eyes on his book
    end of spoilers

Controversy creates cash and all that.
    I'm a little less cynical on this particular instance. I think that's part of it, but by all accounts, I think Taylor is doing it more for representation. He generally really seems to enjoy creating that space for people and giving them what they want to see. I think he is one of those writers who thinks validation is one of the most important things these characters can do for people and aims to find ways to bring that in.

I'm not judging, but that's something I've gleaned from his work.
    May we never forget:

I'm a little less cynical on this particular instance. I think that's part of it, but by all accounts, I think Taylor is doing it more for representation. He generally really seems to enjoy creating that space for people and giving them what they want to see. I think he is one of those writers who thinks validation is one of the most important things these characters can do for people and aims to find ways to bring that in.

I'm not judging, but that's something I've gleaned from his work.
    Oh, I don’t doubt that. I don’t like his writing but he seems to be on the right side of most issues from what I’ve seen, I just tend to be cynical/skeptical when this is done in corporate Big Two stuff and how much of his writing seems geared towards “shocking”/OMG moments people can share on Twitter or Reddit.

Oh, I don’t doubt that. I don’t like his writing but he seems to be on the right side of most issues from what I’ve seen, I just tend to be cynical/skeptical when this is done in corporate Big Two stuff and how much of his writing seems geared towards “shocking”/OMG moments people can share on Twitter or Reddit.
    Sure, that I can agree with. To be honest, his take on both Power Girl/Supergirl has been very much not what I agree with. If I recall, he gave Karen the S shield, which if you've read her comics, you know she'd take any symbol before the family crest. Yeah, it's her family too-- that's why she doesn't want it. She doesn't want to be the "other Supergirl" or "Superman's cousin," she wants to make her own legacy. She'd make her own symbol that doesn't resemble the crest of L/El, but he wanted to be the guy to cover the boob window and seemingly wasn't aware of that. He effectively had her throw away all her struggles and accept she's Supergirl, which is effectively erasing her identity. They have covered the boob window in the past with just a plain white leotard and that was fine, but I don't think he much cared. He was more interested in the response than the character.

I think this is more of that. He doesn't much care for Supergirl or Wonder Woman. In this case, I think he wanted to give the SuperCorp people another bone with Diana a prop for it.

As always in Elseworlds, Diana is an instrument to tell someone else's story. Put a quarter in her and she'll kiss the protagonist. Fucking gag me.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-05-2021 at 09:48 PM.
    May we never forget:

If the snow ball effect of this is Diana eventually getting girlfriends with people I find to be a better match then I will accept it.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

In some continuities Kara is technically older than, having been sent away from Krypton as a preteen while Clark was an infant but got stuck in space for some time. The Smallville show also had her as around the same age as Clark.

spoilers:
    I'm more annoyed that they didn't pair Diana off with someone from her own corner of the DCU than anything else.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm more annoyed that they didn't pair Diana off with someone from her own corner of the DCU than anything else.
    end of spoilers
    Yup. This is my biggest beef with it as well.
    May we never forget:

Sigh, of course Taylor's gotta pair her off with a Superman character

At least Morrison gave us what we deserved

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Sigh, of course Taylor's gotta pair her off with a Superman character

At least Morrison gave us what we deserved
    I really need to get around to reading that book.
    May we never forget:

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Sure, that I can agree with. To be honest, his take on both Power Girl/Supergirl has been very much not what I agree with. If I recall, he gave Karen the S shield, which if you've read her comics, you know she'd take any symbol before the family crest. Yeah, it's her family too-- that's why she doesn't want it. She doesn't want to be the "other Supergirl" or "Superman's cousin," she wants to make her own legacy. She'd make her own symbol that doesn't resemble the crest of L/El, but he wanted to be the guy to cover the boob window and seemingly wasn't aware of that. He effectively had her throw away all her struggles and accept she's Supergirl, which is effectively erasing her identity. They have covered the boob window in the past with just a plain white leotard and that was fine, but I don't think he much cared. He was more interested in the response than the character.

I think this is more of that. He doesn't much care for Supergirl or Wonder Woman. In this case, I think he wanted to give the SuperCorp people another bone with Diana a prop for it.

As always in Elseworlds, Diana is an instrument to tell someone else's story. Put a quarter in her and she'll kiss the protagonist. Fucking gag me.
    Are we sure it only happens in elseworlds stories?