Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Well, that is in fact sort of how synthetic diamonds are manufactured: a carbon source is squeezed to a pressure of about 50,000 atmospheres (a process that occurs at a temperature of about 1400 degrees Celsius, but Superman could certainly handle that). There are other methods of synthesizing diamonds (most diamonds used in industrial applications are in fact synthetic), but the high-pressure-high-temperature method was the first to be developed and is still widely used.
    That's cool actually, I'd love to see a more serious take on it in live action then, with Kal explaining this to a fascinated audience.

And by fascinated audience, I mean "probably Jimmy if I had to guess".
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Cooking steak with his heat vision.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    That's cool actually, I'd love to see a more serious take on it in live action then, with Kal explaining this to a fascinated audience.
    I would like to add that amount of carbon content/ concentration, how pressure is spread out... Etc would effect whether it works. Coal usually doesn't have concentration of carbon needed to form diamond. Superman would need to find another source such as pencil graphite. For further info if interested.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-10-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Superman is science-fantasy, I mean, the guy can fly! Everything he does doesn't have to be very realistic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Superman is science-fantasy, I mean, the guy can fly! Everything he does doesn't have to be very realistic.
    Yeah, such as when he spies danger, hops out of his desk at the Daily Planet, and takes off at super-speed. The sonic boom would knock everyone and everything around him to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I would like to add that amount of carbon content/ concentration, how pressure is spread out... Etc would effect whether it works. Coal usually doesn't have concentration of carbon needed to form diamond. Superman would need to find another source such as pencil graphite. For further info if interested.
    Depends on the type of coal. High grade Anthracite is around 80% carbon. While Bituminous coal is around 40% to 70% carbon. And a pencil lead isn't pure carbon. The graphite is mixed with clay to give it strength.
    The best bet would be to use his heat vision to coke the coal, driving out all the volatiles, leaving almost pure carbon. That is what steel mills do to get the carbon to make steel. Then use his hand to create pressure
    to form the diamond.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You know, I love whenever Clark just eats something people shouldn't be able to (the most notorious being kryptonite). The reactions are usually great.
    So he can eat at Chipotle then? That's impressive...

I've been watching the Ruby Spears Superman cartoons with my 3 year old son and found one that was fun and simple. He used his heat vision to light the candles on a birthday cake.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Depends on the type of coal. High grade Anthracite is around 80% carbon. While Bituminous coal is around 40% to 70% carbon. And a pencil lead isn't pure carbon. The graphite is mixed with clay to give it strength.
    The best bet would be to use his heat vision to coke the coal, driving out all the volatiles, leaving almost pure carbon. That is what steel mills do to get the carbon to make steel. Then use his hand to create pressure
    to form the diamond.
    Regardless, the size of the diamond thus formed will be something like in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Yeah, such as when he spies danger, hops out of his desk at the Daily Planet, and takes off at super-speed. The sonic boom would knock everyone and everything around him to the ground.
    I'd argue, though, that not doing enough to tether Superman to real-world physics has its consequences, too.

The biggest complaint casuals general express about Superman is that everything comes too easy for the guy, and it sure seems that way when he can punch, lift, and fly through most situations without any negative physical ramifications, and to a high degree of success. The more real-world physics you apply, you create situations where Superman's physical gifts aren't enough to get him through tight spots. The other option to make things harder for Supes is nerf by commission (making him weaker/lesser across the board) or omission (conveniently forgetting he has a power that would help him in that situation), and I think that's plenty worse. The Superman franchise could use more, "I could do that, but then..." moments. It requires Supes to be more clever and think harder how to approach problems.

In a crowded market with a lot of superheroes with the generic abilities of a flying brick, I think the first hero who starts imposing real-world physics limitations on himself is going to be able to create a fresh spin on the genre. And yeah, let's make comic books semi-educational for kids (and adults) again.

He has a job in the city and gets to avoid traffic due to his powers, also no car note, breakdowns, flucuating gas prices or auto insurance. I'm jealous
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

cleaning the house at super speed when he has too? haha

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I've been watching the Ruby Spears Superman cartoons with my 3 year old son and found one that was fun and simple. He used his heat vision to light the candles on a birthday cake.
    that sounds adorable!

Whenever I see jokes or references to this ridiculous scene from NCIS, I often think Superman would be great at this.

Just imagine how awesome two speedsters on one keyboard would be!