Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Ultimate Member

If they redid the HP movies just stick closer to the books and don't add stuff in for the main male and female leads into the movies that weren't in the books and don't take out so much that events later on seem to come out of nowhere to many people...don't change who said what and when and such like they did...

If they did that they'd probably get people complaining about how much they'd changed the movies and all...only to then be informed that the remake was actually closer to the books than the Original movies were...

And actually it does matter that Harry is in Gryffindor, as later on Dumbledore tells him that Harry's choices are what set him apart, he chose to not be in Slytherin and that mattered in the end. The houses do matter actually...if you change a movie taken from a book that much then why not just make up your own story as the movie that came out would little resemble the book and basically be a new story...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    If they redid the HP movies just stick closer to the books
    But the movies we have stuck close to the books as it is. There won't be anything else to distinguish it.

And actually it does matter that Harry is in Gryffindor, as later on Dumbledore tells him that Harry's choices are what set him apart, he chose to not be in Slytherin and that mattered in the end.
    In the story we actually got Harry never makes any real choices. He was manipulated by Dumbledore from the start, including when Dumbledore told him that. The house system as in the books doesn't actually serve any real plot and story purpose. It's just a coating for the characters. Even without Slytherin, Draco would be a bully because of his Dad and his family. The house system is one of those things in the books that fosters this elitist fantasy among kids, i.e. going to a fantasy school means you get accepted by the right clique of cool guys and so on. That stuff won't age well as time passes.

The fact is now that you have all 7 books on the table you can zero in on the stuff in the series that's actually essential in the grand scheme of things and leave out the stuff that turns out to be peripheral and unimportant.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    You better go into hiding dude. There's a rabid fanbase that's going to be looking to bat-bogey hex you.
    Considering Rowling has discredited herself, I am not so sure...
    There'd be 35% that stick like glue if English-speaking politics are to be believed.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

This far without mention of The Princess Bride.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Mighty Member

Goodfellas, it's a classic timepiece, like the Italian mafia has become as it fades away.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Another I wouldn't want treated as some eternal sacred cow.
    Although I believe Goldman is opposed to a remake which is fine you got to respect that. (although he could have done the darn Buttercup's Baby sequel, the scene of Fezzik leaping of the cliff to save her alone would have been worth it), I do love the film as is, it doesn't need a remake or a sequel. And good luck anyone trying, no mater how good the mere idea of it would default be rejected as a sanctimonious offence.
    However It's still fun to imagine;
    I remember after seeing the Oberyn vs Gregor 'The Mountain' fight episode, where Oberyn is totally channeling Inigo, "you killed my..." thinking - Now cast them as the best friends in the world!
    Inigo & Fezzik :

Pedro Pascal as Inigo Montoya
    and
    Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson as Fezzik the Giant

Last edited by Güicho; 10-08-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Wow. I bow to your wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Goodfellas, it's a classic timepiece, like the Italian mafia has become as it fades away.
    Yours too.

GASP!!!! I didn't think about that, probably because a remake would be so unthinkable that I didn't think about it.

Somebody else playing Fezzik instead instead of Andre? Another Inigo Montoya and not Manny. Someone who isn't Wallace Shawn playing Vizzini? Next you'll be telling me it was a book before it was a movie.

But really. Just no.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    But the movies we have stuck close to the books as it is. There won't be anything else to distinguish it.

In the story we actually got Harry never makes any real choices. He was manipulated by Dumbledore from the start, including when Dumbledore told him that. The house system as in the books doesn't actually serve any real plot and story purpose. It's just a coating for the characters. Even without Slytherin, Draco would be a bully because of his Dad and his family. The house system is one of those things in the books that fosters this elitist fantasy among kids, i.e. going to a fantasy school means you get accepted by the right clique of cool guys and so on. That stuff won't age well as time passes.

The fact is now that you have all 7 books on the table you can zero in on the stuff in the series that's actually essential in the grand scheme of things and leave out the stuff that turns out to be peripheral and unimportant.
    Actually they changed a lot, took big parts of the books out of the movies, changed who said what and when, added a lot of scenes into the movies that didn't happen at all in the books and more...Dumbledore was pulling the strings as much as he could though Harry made the direct choice to not be in Slytherin. Only the Slytherin house is elitist, the other three houses are anything but in taking everybody else, and really there aren't that many clique's shown in the books, there are game clubs and such but mostly they aren't talked about, and what's essential in the grand scheme of things to one person is not to someone else...and so on...

BANNED

Actually they changed a lot,
    Not adhering to every single sentence in the book doesn't mean the movies aren't faithful to the books, because they are.

Only the Slytherin house is elitist,
    That MacLaggen dude in the sixth one is Gryffindor. Harry's own dad James seems to have been an elitist.

Ultimately the house affiliation doesn't matter by the end of the series.

Boisterously Confused

Actually they changed a lot, took big parts of the books out of the movies, changed who said what and when, added a lot of scenes into the movies that didn't happen at all in the books and more...Dumbledore was pulling the strings as much as he could though Harry made the direct choice to not be in Slytherin. Only the Slytherin house is elitist, the other three houses are anything but in taking everybody else, and really there aren't that many clique's shown in the books, there are game clubs and such but mostly they aren't talked about, and what's essential in the grand scheme of things to one person is not to someone else...and so on...
    Ravenclaw is pretty elitist, but intellectually so as opposed to pedigree-snobbery.

Ultimate Member

I don't mean adhering to every sentence in the book, but when you change who says what and when it can change a lot, giving people a very different opinion of characters and such...Ravenclaw takes in everyone regardless of social standing, I mean look at Luna was a member so they can't be that elitist and Cho wasn't the tops of her year...James Potter was a bully and a jerk, MacLaggen isn't elitist he's just a jerk, the houses do matter as in the end there's not a single Slytherin that stays to fight Voldemort. At least no students anyway. The sorting hat sorts the students.

THe movies that we have are relatively faithful to the books, but they've changed a lot, added a lot, subtracted a lot that were not just minor plot points and took out building blocks for the relationships at the end, as bad at relationships as Rowling was in the books she said that the early movies had Anvil sized hints about who liked who and yet still people missed all of those hints. They don't need every building block but if you take all of them out then it causes problems.

There are exceptions to the rule, but yet Slytherin doesn't seem to have a single good person in it. The descriptions of the houses is more of a general sense as not everyone in the house embodies every one of the virtues and such...