Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default No One Should Ever Remake ... ?

We know that Hollywood doesn't like originality anymore. It was always wary of it - even back in its dawn - but these days The Studios' money men display a genuine allergy to anything that they think doesn't come with a built-in fanbase.

Consequently, Hollywood has spent the last decades on a campaign of IP mining that borders upon grave robbing. Sometimes (True Grit), a great film comes out of it. More often (Clash of the Titans), we're left wondering show could possibly have thought that a good idea.

What's a film no one should ever dare sully with an update?

I vote Casablanca. That was such an accident of actor chemistry, ad hoc script revision, and the events of the time, I don't know that it could ever be replicated with justice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    We know that Hollywood doesn't like originality anymore. It was always wary of it - even back in its dawn - but these days The Studios' money men display a genuine allergy to anything that they think doesn't come with a built-in fanbase.

Consequently, Hollywood has spent the last decades on a campaign of IP mining that borders upon grave robbing. Sometimes (True Grit), a great film comes out of it. More often (Clash of the Titans), we're left wondering show could possibly have thought that a good idea.

What's a film no one should ever dare sully with an update?
    The original Star Wars movies.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

I disagree with the very premise that some movies should never be remade. As long as it's done well and with respect then nothing should be off limits. Jaws, The Godfather, Casablanca, Citizen Kane. Every movie could be remade and remade well.

Not saying that they will be or should be, just that I think this idea of sacred cows of films is stupid. Anything and everything can be touched, why the **** not, because it's perfect as is and offends our nostalgia or sensibilities? Ugh, hate that line of reasoning.

I agree with Vak, but I think the movies he mentioned should not be, because they are so great that any remake will be lacking. No way a remake will come close.
    Better to take the story and put it in another setting, like Magnificent Sevn did with Seven Samurai.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Warriors
    A Clockwork Orange
    Easy Rider
    The Exorcist (Even though it's already happening)
    The Matrix

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Remakes shouldn't just happen for nostalgia's sake, to keep a trademark alive, or just to make money. There should be an artistic reason. I don't want to hear a cover song unless a singer feels a different touch needs to be added. Otherwise, stories should be fair game, eventually. I guess that can backfire, too. I wasn't pleased with what Rob Zombie did with Halloween. I'm not sure there's an easy answer to this. Maybe anything goes, and if it's good we'll praise it and if not, we tar and feather everyone involved.

The only things that I think should never be "remade" are when certain characters are directly tied to specific people. It does really happen often. Case in point: The Three Stooges. The Stooges are the Howards & Fine. Period. No one else. Besser and DeRita? Ptooey! Awful awful thing they did with that 2012 movie. No one should ever be using the names of the Marx Brothers either, or the Monty Python troupe.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

...Anything, with very few exceptions.

I think remakes should be done only under two conditions: a) the original was a good idea done badly, or b) the original was good for its time but the technology now exists to do it better.

A good movie should not be remade.

I don't consider differing adaptations of the same source material to be "remakes" though... not every version of Alice in Wonderland is a "remake" of that first silent version done in 1903 or whenever. But remakes of original films should happen for a better reason than "time has passed and there's money to be made."

They will continue to be made, of course (at least if this pandemic ever ends). But I will continue to opt out of seeing them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    A Clockwork Orange
    A Clockwork Orange is an adaptation of the book, one that was adapted before Kubrick, as VINYL by Andy Warhol (yep, not making that up). So I don't think there's strong grounds to claim that it cannot be remade.

I mean I get your point and so on, but who's to say someone later can't come and adapt the same material again?

As far as remakes go...I'd say in general, it's hard or impossible to remake movies like Casablanca which depend so much on the chemistry of the cast rather than the story. Casablanca or Singin' in the Rain are simple stories with simplistic characters and setups and it's the performances and production that elevates it. By itself, those stories won't generate interesting drama.

It's also hard to impossible to remake movies that are strongly defined by performances and direction -- Taxi Driver, Nashville, Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's kind of interesting that the films of major directors like Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola, Altman haven't been remade yet.

Wes Anderson's films for interesting are so powerfully defined by his style of writing and direction that there's no way anybody else can remake it. We see a cottage industry of WA-style trailers and riffs of movies, and a lot of directors inspired by his style but nobody will ever do it.

The Disney Renaissance films.
    Yeah, I know. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

Other major classic films. The OT of Star Wars, Music Man (Even though it was done), etc. If a film bombed, but showed major potential, then give it another go. Tweak it so it works better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I disagree with the very premise that some movies should never be remade. As long as it's done well and with respect then nothing should be off limits. Jaws, The Godfather, Casablanca, Citizen Kane. Every movie could be remade and remade well.

Not saying that they will be or should be, just that I think this idea of sacred cows of films is stupid. Anything and everything can be touched, why the **** not, because it's perfect as is and offends our nostalgia or sensibilities? Ugh, hate that line of reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Remakes shouldn't just happen for nostalgia's sake, to keep a trademark alive, or just to make money. There should be an artistic reason. I don't want to hear a cover song unless a singer feels a different touch needs to be added. Otherwise, stories should be fair game, eventually.
    I'm down with both of these points. Before we were ever able to record anything on film or record, remakes and covers were the only way that plays and songs could survive -- and even then folks have always debated *which* of those remakes and covers and versions were better anyway. I agree that it has to be done for artistic, and not inherently cynical, reasons, but inspiration from the original should not curb someone wanting to do their own take on it, either.

"Blazing Saddles" because it could never be as funny or make it's point as well in our current culture. It would a vapid imitation of what it was.

"Young Frankenstein" because no improvement in technology could make it better. It would probably only detract from it. Again, it would be a watered down copy of what it was.

There were movies that could be greatly improved by dealing with the subject matter far more realistically. But there are others that likely be reduced to far less than they were.

For me, the questions are: Outside of new actors and effects, does it bring anything to the story and will it be equal to or surpass the original? If not, then it's just a cash cow remake.

I might also mention "The Wizard of Oz". It's not even a big favorite for me but I've seen a couple of television remakes that were not the slightest threat to the original.

I personally wouldn't mind a remake of "Gone with the Wind" that is more realistic. I've only seen it once, when I was a little kid. I know my parents' generation would consider that sacrilege. But I'd like to see the story from the view of the real victims of the Confederacy, not the view of rich plantation owners losing their privilege. Then again, that would be a completely different story, not GwtW.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

I agree as long as it's not a remake that brings little new thought or ideas or is just a lame "We got CGI now" remake.
    Power with Girl is better.

I guess it depends on just what our "Remake" actually entails.

For instance...

The Thing. Remake?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The Back to the Future trilogy.

Sequels, maybe, as long as Michael or Chris are involved and/or respected. Otherwise no.

Remakes shouldn't even be a thing. That's just plain lazyness and the level zero of creativity.

It's like, you buy yourself a coke, you drink it and then some smartass fills the can up with water and sells it you again.

Or for an even higher price, why not?