Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    So long as they never do:
    -An all white version of The Wiz
    -Battle Beyond the Stars, as a Western Samurai Epic.
    -A gender flipped Barb Wire set in a WWII.
    -Lion King with humans set Denmark.
    -or Forbidden planet in some silly Elizabethan island setting.

Cause that would just ruin those classic.

LOL everything gets remade, nothing should be sacred.

That'll definitely inevitably get a remake.
    I get all the jokes but Barb Wire. Don't know what it was based on?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I get all the jokes but Barb Wire. Don't know what it was based on?
    Casablanca
    She's Bogart (Rick
    Temuera Morrison is Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa
    Xander Berkeley is Claude Rains (Louie
    Big Fatso is Jabba the Hutt, i mean Sydney Greenstreet (Signor Ferrari
    Clint Howard is Peter Lorre (Ugarte
    The contact lenses are the "transit papers" everyone wants, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Um, isn't that just The Wizard of Oz?
    Yes they are all blantant remakes of "calssics", that was the point:
    Wizard of Oz
    Seven Samurai
    Casablanca
    Hamlet
    and The Tempest.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-05-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Yes they are all blatant remakes of "classics", that was the point:
    Exactly. I mean "Terminator" is just Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream...." (I think I'm joking, but if pressed I could come up with a comparison...)

Casablanca
    She's Bogart (Rick
    Temuera Morrison is Ingrid Bergman (Ilsa
    Xander Berkeley is Claude Rains (Louie
    Big Fatso is Jabba the Hutt, i mean Sydney Greenstreet (Signor Ferrari
    The artificial eyes are the "transit papers" everyone wants, etc.
    Oh, I don't really remember much about the plot.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Well nobody said it was a good remake. Certainly nobody was watching it for that. They just needed the minimum plot to hang something on. And that's where it obviously came from. lOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-05-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Um, isn't that just The Wizard of Oz?
    Which was the excellently delivered point.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Rush hour.

I rather see a spinoff with Su Young as an adult than recasting Li and Carter as women.
    There was a brief TV series in 2016.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Which was the excellently delivered point.
    I realized that in the posts that followed. It might have helped if I had known what the other movies he was referencing were.

I could see Harry Potter getting another adaptation. My pitch would be just to swap houses. This time he's in Slytherin, Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff instead of Gryffindor. Most of the plot is the same but I'm curious how being in a different house would affect him.

Boisterously Confused

I could see Harry Potter getting another adaptation. My pitch would be just to swap houses. This time he's in Slytherin, Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff instead of Gryffindor. Most of the plot is the same but I'm curious how being in a different house would affect him.
    You better go into hiding dude. There's a rabid fanbase that's going to be looking to bat-bogey hex you.

BANNED

You better go into hiding dude. There's a rabid fanbase that's going to be looking to bat-bogey hex you.
    Considering Rowling has discredited herself, I am not so sure.

There definitely will be another adaptation of HP somewhere down the line, in the same way we have James Bond stories after Ian Fleming passed away.

And if there is a new adaptation I imagine people might change and shuffle things a bit next time 'round.

Astonishing Member

This makes absolutely no sense. It sounds even more like fanfiction than you’d think “Cursed Child” was.

BANNED

A better choice is to adapt the books and remove the houses altogether.

In the grand scheme, the four houses are fairly irrelevant to the story and trajectory of the character arcs. You could adapt the story and beats without the house concepts. Especially by the time of the later books where the main cast we follow form their own clique and circle that includes students from other houses (except Slytherin of course). The so-called House Cup and Quidditch rivalries, don't matter by the final books and the last one takes place entirely outside the school.

In the story, Slytherin is meant to represent evil pampered trust fund rich kid bullies. And the story makes it so all of them are in this one house...even if Harry Potter is also a rich trust fund kid himself (and his Dad was that, and also a bully).

If the issue is about how rich kids use family connections and other stuff to get their way you can get that point across without the house system, and you can get that without the unnecessary invitation of sympathy that Slytherin attracts simply because they seem to be the house that produces scummy characters by default, and that seems skeevy.

I actually do think that HP as a story can be improved, made less predictable, and more interesting if you remove the houses than if you keep it.

That said, for merchandise reasons, i.e. houses means you can sell Gryffindor, Slytherin branded scarves and so on, I don't think they will do this.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-06-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    A better choice is to adapt the books and remove the houses altogether.

In the grand scheme, the four houses are fairly irrelevant to the story and trajectory of the character arcs. You could adapt the story and beats without the house concepts. Especially by the time of the later books where the main cast we follow form their own clique and circle that includes students from other houses (except Slytherin of course). The so-called House Cup and Quidditch rivalries, don't matter by the final books and the last one takes place entirely outside the school.

In the story, Slytherin is meant to represent evil pampered trust fund rich kid bullies. And the story makes it so all of them are in this one house...even if Harry Potter is also a rich trust fund kid himself (and his Dad was that, and also a bully).

If the issue is about how rich kids use family connections and other stuff to get their way you can get that point across without the house system, and you can get that without the unnecessary invitation of sympathy that Slytherin attracts simply because they seem to be the house that produces scummy characters by default, and that seems skeevy.

I actually do think that HP as a story can be improved, made less predictable, and more interesting if you remove the houses than if you keep it.

That said, for merchandise reasons, i.e. houses means you can sell Gryffindor, Slytherin branded scarves and so on, I don't think they will do this.
    But the problem with that is that those changes only matter because they have shock value. It's like having a Tiefling Paladin. The more times you do it, the less worth it actually has.

It only has worth to people that have already read the books/watched the movies but doesn't add worth to anyone viewing the series for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There was a brief TV series in 2016.
    I know but I don't think it was that good. I don't wanna reboot it so a spinoff felt like a better idea. Plus the kid actress who played Su Young grew up so I thought it be fun to see her take over.
    Daniel Radcliffe wanted to see a Slytherin Harry so maybe they would thank me down the road ?