Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Oh, and I forgot a bit one for the accessibility side of things - make fewer events (not eliminate entirely, I think an event every now and then can be fun, but they've gotten so common that diminishing returns have kicked in because of event fatigue, they no longer feel special) and most importantly, make them less confusing to follow. Make everything start at issue 1, read till the end, you're done. None of this bullshit with a half dozen tie-ins and spanning multiple ongoings that stopped what they were doing to tie in, and you have to figure out what the correct order to read them all in is. Make the events last more issues, maybe, but easy to follow. Having all those tie-ins doesn't make it feel epic, it makes it feel confusing, especially for a new reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Oh, and I forgot a bit one for the accessibility side of things - make fewer events (not eliminate entirely, I think an event every now and then can be fun, but they've gotten so common that diminishing returns have kicked in because of event fatigue, they no longer feel special) and most importantly, make them less confusing to follow. Make everything start at issue 1, read till the end, you're done. None of this bullshit with a half dozen tie-ins and spanning multiple ongoings that stopped what they were doing to tie in, and you have to figure out what the correct order to read them all in is. Make the events last more issues, maybe, but easy to follow. Having all those tie-ins doesn't make it feel epic, it makes it feel confusing, especially for a new reader.
    Ugh events. I used to truly love events. I thought they were simply great. Then the top brass said, "hey, we sold a lot of this event, next year's event, let's put out even more comics for next year's event and then we can sell even more." Which became, "Hey we sold a lot, let's go for more events every year so sell even more." Now we are simply where we are at now. Where events lack meaning and are simply not good. It is that "not good" part that makes me mad too. I know there are people who regardless of how good the event is will say, "that event sucks" But dang, it shouldn't be everyone.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Ugh events. I used to truly love events. I thought they were simply great. Then the top brass said, "hey, we sold a lot of this event, next year's event, let's put out even more comics for next year's event and then we can sell even more." Which became, "Hey we sold a lot, let's go for more events every year so sell even more." Now we are simply where we are at now. Where events lack meaning and are simply not good. It is that "not good" part that makes me mad too. I know there are people who regardless of how good the event is will say, "that event sucks" But dang, it shouldn't be everyone.
    Not to mention how everyone in the Marvel Universe is required to be involved whether they like it or not. Characters'll be lucky if they're little more than cannon fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Not to mention how everyone in the Marvel Universe is required to be involved whether they like it or not. Characters'll be lucky if they're little more than cannon fodder.
    I have mixed feelings about that. If they're all going to share a universe... or in Marvel's case 'a city', then the effects of a big event SHOULD affect everyone. Wasn't it Morrison who had magneto destroy Manhatten and it had zero effect in any other book anywhere.. >.<

I have no issue with a tie in issue or something affecting the characters... but They've taken it to unhealthy extremes lately. Nothing worse than when an event sucks... but EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE is tied into it for half the summer. Civil War and Secret Invasion I think was where it really went nuts. Back in the Secret Wars II tie ins, were pretty fun.

Maybe disney can add some comics to disney plus to promote the comics like dc did for dc universe?

Marvel needs to add marvel unlimited to the tv apps like roku like dc has dc universe also. Add it to nintendo switch and ps4 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Maybe disney can add some comics to disney plus to promote the comics like dc did for dc universe?

Marvel needs to add marvel unlimited to the tv apps like roku like dc has dc universe also. Add it to nintendo switch and ps4 also.
    They should just add it to the bundle along with espn and hulu for 15.99
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    An event can include everyone, but that requires more thought than it's normally given. Back when X-Men were doing both their Mutant Massacre and Apocalypse's Four Horsemen storylines, they both involved Daredevil, but in a way that made sense. He didn't have to be wrapped up in the central elements of the event, but the event had consequences with which he had to deal.

The thing to remember is that print media as a whole (not just comics) is a slowly dying medium. Not saying comics will ever completely go away... but the trend will likely never reserve. All you can do is slow down the decline.

And the best way to do that is probably to do what the movies, TV shows, video games, etc. Again, that stuff won't directly effect things. A billion dollar movie won't translate to billions of dollars suddenly being injected into the comics side of things... but it will at least slow down the decline.