Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Has anyone here ever been to Coney Island?

Best place ever in NYC! And it's a memorable and timeless place for those who live near the area. Just came back from there last night and had a kick-ass time. Saw some fireworks. Went to the arcades. Went into a haunted house ride "Ghost Hole". And did/saw other stuff.

So i'm curious to see what is this community's thoughts on Coney Island? Yay? or Nay?

I live in NYC so yes I've been to Coney island. In fact, since I'm up there in years, I remember Coney Island when it was much bigger with more attractions. Theres been some good documentaries made about the history of Coney Island when it was one of the premiere entertainment spots on the east coast.. Hope you had some Nathan's hot dogs and french fries when you were there

The spot I really miss is Palisades Amusement Park that closed in the early 70s. That was on the same level as Coney Island
    Where the Titans of Classic Comics Speak http://classiccomics.boards.net/

BANNED

My only disappointment, if any, was not being able to win a Nintendo 3DS after wasting so many quarters on this game machine where you have to move the stupid key horizontally and then hold down the other button to move it vertically and release it to try and get it into the right spot to get the prize of your choice. The fact that it looked like a piece of cake at first and that I failed after so many attempts just frustrates the hell out of me. I mean imagine, having only a limited amount of quarters in your current possession and you're under the pressure to literally win this prize just because your friends desperately want it (and worse, to win it through this way and this machine in this location only, even if you could obtain it through different ways) or they'd get super-mad at you (and the actual consequences are much harsher than I can describe) if you didn't or you wanted to cheer them up by giving them something awesome or you just feel like you wanted to achieve something big after feeling so down and disappointed with everything else in the past week or month.

But on the good side, I actually did something unexpected, which was winning 1,916 tickets from one other game machine using only two of my quarters. But too bad most of the prizes aren't really worth that match and were mediocre at best, even by their own standards. And my excitement of earning tickets in quadruple-digits is sadly mostly offset by the above disappointment of not being able to carry home a certain prize to make the night 100% complete.

But oh well, I still had fun and I wish to return again someday, maybe next year or two years later.

whew that was a long rambling.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    My only disappointment, if any, was not being able to win a Nintendo 3DS after wasting so many quarters on this game machine where you have to move the stupid key horizontally and then hold down the other button to move it vertically and release it to try and get it into the right spot to get the prize of your choice. The fact that it looked like a piece of cake at first and that I failed after so many attempts just frustrates the hell out of me. I mean imagine, having only a limited amount of quarters in your current possession and you're under the pressure to literally win this prize just because your friends desperately want it (and worse, to win it through this way and this machine in this location only, even if you could obtain it through different ways) or they'd get super-mad at you (and the actual consequences are much harsher than I can describe) if you didn't or you wanted to cheer them up by giving them something awesome or you just feel like you wanted to achieve something big after feeling so down and disappointed with everything else in the past week or month.

But on the good side, I actually did something unexpected, which was winning 1,916 tickets from one other game machine using only two of my quarters. But too bad most of the prizes aren't really worth that match and were mediocre at best, even by their own standards. And my excitement of earning tickets in quadruple-digits is sadly mostly offset by the above disappointment of not being able to carry home a certain prize to make the night 100% complete.

But oh well, I still had fun and I wish to return again someday, maybe next year or two years later.

whew that was a long rambling.
    That my friend, is called a "scam". Yeah, you might get something for your trouble, but you're not going to get the big prize.

It's cool that you had fun, though.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

BANNED

Yep. I live on one of the train lines that go there. I really don't care for it, but the wife likes it.

Obnoxiously crowded? Check.

No refuge from the sun except money traps? Check.

Extremely limited food options for people with allergies/restricted diets? Check.

Quote Originally Posted by ish kabbible View Post
    I live in NYC so yes I've been to Coney island. In fact, since I'm up there in years, I remember Coney Island when it was much bigger with more attractions. Theres been some good documentaries made about the history of Coney Island when it was one of the premiere entertainment spots on the east coast.. Hope you had some Nathan's hot dogs and french fries when you were there

The spot I really miss is Palisades Amusement Park that closed in the early 70s. That was on the same level as Coney Island
    It's funny, a few years ago I dated a lady from Coney Island. I would go to her home to pick her up, but she never wanted to hang out there. I use to hit up Nathan's on the way to her place.

As for me, I haven't been to the Amusement Park since I was a teen. I live in the Bronx. It's a pain in the ass to get to.
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    It's funny, a few years ago I dated a lady from Coney Island. I would go to her home to pick her up, but she never wanted to hang out there. I use to hit up Nathan's on the way to her place.

As for me, I haven't been to the Amusement Park since I was a teen. I live in the Bronx. It's a pain in the ass to get to.
    Yeah,if Palisades was still open, you'd be going to that one since it was just over the George Washington Bridge on the Jersey side. DC comics in those days always had coupons in their books for free admission and 2 free rides. You're probably closer to Rye's Playland which I haven't been to in years

pretty much exactly what I was gonna post.

although, I haven't been there since they re-opened Luna Park, and I hear that is REALLY well done?
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Yeah,if Palisades was still open, you'd be going to that one since it was just over the George Washington Bridge on the Jersey side. DC comics in those days always had coupons in their books for free admission and 2 free rides. You're probably closer to Rye's Playland which I haven't been to in years
    Last time I went to Rye's was like 1999 or 2000. Took the kids. When I was younger, I hit up Astroland (is it even called that anymore?), Rye's and Great Adventure any chance I had. I also miss Playland (was it called that?) out in the Rockaways.
    When the fire blows

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    pretty much exactly what I was gonna post.

although, I haven't been there since they re-opened Luna Park, and I hear that is REALLY well done?
    That's it. Luna Park. Anyway, maybe my mind is mis-remembering things, but I swear Astroland was much bigger/had more rides.
    When the fire blows

To Bullet Sniper, did you go to the Aquarium and/or see the Brooklyn Cyclones down the block at MCU Park?
    When the fire blows

Last time I went to Rye's was like 1999 or 2000. Took the kids. When I was younger, I hit up Astroland (is it even called that anymore?), Rye's and Great Adventure any chance I had. I also miss Playland (was it called that?) out in the Rockaways.
    I remember Rockaway Playland. Went there many times as a kid. There was a Great Adventure Amusement Park in Flushing,Queens I used to go as a teenager in the 70s with my friends. Mostly to try to pick up girls. I did get lucky twice. They also had a minature golf course. It closed,I believe, at the end of the 70s.

BANNED

To Bullet Sniper, did you go to the Aquarium and/or see the Brooklyn Cyclones down the block at MCU Park?
    yeah i've been to the Aquarium several times, but the last time I've currently been there was twice in August and September 2012.

If by Brooklyn Cyclones, you mean the baseball stadium sitting near the edge of Coney Island's park/beach, then no. I never had any feelings for sports tbh. Not a sports fan, never will be.

BANNED

That my friend, is called a "scam". Yeah, you might get something for your trouble, but you're not going to get the big prize.

It's cool that you had fun, though.
    Yeah at least the arcades are still fun and I played a little bit of the new Alien light gun shooting game. Although I admit Coney Island itself is probably not the best or most variety-filled place to go for arcade gaming. But still a good atmosphere to be in. :P

Too bad the last time I've been there in 2012, there used to be a TMNT arcade machine and an Al Capone shooting gallery (which is now replaced by "Ghost Hunter" for a more halloween-ish theme).

I love Coney Island for its main rides and old classic 1920's American style artwork and paintings and murals and all the characters, figures, and beings (such as Mermaids or Ghosts or Dancers) on the walls and sculptures and stuff. And the Miss Coney Island attraction (boy does that dancing brunette would look beautiful and hot if she were even slightly real) and all the wonderful atmosphere, scenery, and all the good-looking or fellow people to hang out with. And the nice beaches and the fireworks. And whatever other art and beauty that is embodied in this heavenly abode of a place.

Erin and I went last year and it was one of our best dates ever.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist