Default What is the most valuable single issue from the 80s?

Which single issue published in the 1980s would typically catch the highest price when sold?

Extraordinary Member

Probably "The Dark Knight Returns" #1

others:

"Watchmen" #1
    "The New Teen Titans" #1
    "Sandman" #1

Retired

It was still snowing in Edmonton in March of 1986, when I went to the comic store to get my comics. And even though I had them in a bag, an errant snowflake managed to fly into the bag as I left the store--so when I pulled out my copy of BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT No. 1 (1986)--featuring "The Dark Knight Returns" by Miller/Janson/Costanza/Varley/Giordano--there was a small water stain on the cover. Going back to the store the next day, there were no issues left and I had to settle for getting the third printing, so I could have a pristine cover.

Still, I don't think that's the most valuable D.C. from the 1980s. Too many people would have bought it--which is why it sold through and went into extra printings--and many would not have had my bad luck with the weather. The most valuable comic is probably one that had a low print run and not many could have got--such as JUSTICE LEAGUE No. 3 (July 1987) with the variant "Superman Comics" cover.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

The first Mirage issue of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1984) will go for thousands and thousands of dollars on eBay. Even the 2nd and 3rd prints go for a few grand.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The first Mirage issue of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1984) will go for thousands and thousands of dollars on eBay. Even the 2nd and 3rd prints go for a few grand.
    You're probably right, sorry for the confusion, was referring to DC issues

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    You're probably right, sorry for the confusion, was referring to DC issues
    Well that would actually make sense since this is the DC Comics forum...

Having said that, you'd be hard pressed to find a DC or Marvel comic from the 80's that would go for more than a few dozen/couple hundred bucks. There are some exceptions (Amazing Spider-Man #300 springs to mind) but generally those comic books were in such high circulation and so easy to come by that even comics like Dark Knight Returns or Watchmen are only $60-80 for issue #1 on eBay (mid-grade anyway). Granted, that's not chump change for a single comic book but definitely peanuts compared to what Golden & Silver Age comics go for.

If you're looking for something that's very difficult to find and would put you out a few thousand, you would have to go with an independent or underground comic book, such as TMNT #1.

Retired

Even with AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 it's going to depend on whether you got the newsstand edition or the direct edition. But I would think speculators were quick to buy up copies of both--and there's probably a generous supply of either in someone's vault. If they're asking a high price for these, they are taking advantage of a gullible market.

I made an effort to get both the newsstand copies and the direct copies of MICRONAUTS--thinking it would be worth something some day. Still waiting for that Micronauts renaissance.

Mighty Member

This link lists apparent top sales for comics during the copper age (the 1980's)

https://www.sellmycomicbooks.com/mos...opper-age.html

Batman Killing Joke 1st print sold for a record high of $3800

It's DC's first spot on the list entering as the 11th most valuable comic of the era, followed by Neil Gaiman's Sandman

After that the Dark Knight First Print clocks in at the 27 spot. With the exception of Crisis On Infinite Earths 1, every other title is related to Batman, sucks to be a DC fan.