Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-Factor [04] : Swords of X chapter 2 review *spoilers*

As you know they come back from Otherworld. Upon Syrin's scream for help. We get Cece Reyes and Rachel who gets Rictor and Apoc to the Healing Gardens.

Havok, Monet, and Polaris come out after with Rockslides bisected body. He is DEAD. I dislike the Summoner.

Saturnyne destroys the entrance side of the External Gateway which causes a giant earthquake. That ends up being Krakoa who is mad the gate was closed off. Doug explains that they had no part of that and that it was Saturnyne that did it.

Monet and Rachel both try picking Polaris mind to see what Saturnyne has left in there. I mean clues. Saturnyne's projection kicks them out. She is super powerful.

Polaris is the white rabbit and we will know why a little later in the issue. Saturnyne planted a prophecy in her mind.

Rictor and Apoc are in the Healing Gardens. Rictor isnt doing well and Healer is letting him die so he can be resurrected. That pisses off Apoc and he almost kills Healer until Rachel intervenes.

Polaris heads to ArborMagna to Xavier and the Five. He scans her mind and finds out about everything.

Polaris is having A LOT of inner monologue.

They bring back Rictor and "Rockslide" within the hour. But something is wrong with Santo. Also he comes back in rock form which is strange. They should have acknowledged his psychic form.

When Xavier tries to back up Rockslide there is a backlash that affects Xavier, all his helmets, and the Five (lose their connection that they have with eachother). Also the eggs that are all currently available need to be destroyed because they think there might be an issue with them. It doesnt have to do with the Pestilence arrows. Not yet at least.

Polaris feels really guilty about Rockslides death and during the backlash his body falls apart. She knows she could have stopped the Summoners sword. She feels responsible for his death.

As the rubble starts to reform. Xavier and the Five come to and the connection the Five have is back.

But they also note that Rockslide is not Rockslide anymore.

They panick and Xavier quickly tries to verify Rictor.

And they have this whole back and forth about whether its really him or not. Xavier makes it clear that this is our Rictor. Rictor died in the Healing Gardens of Krakoa. Rockslide died in Otherworld the nexus of all realities. So when he came back everything he was was wiped out. And now he is all versions of Rockslide from the multiverse. So its Rockslide but not Rockslide. If that makes sense. BUT the Rockslide we knew is truely dead.

The Queit Council, specifically Emma, is pissed about what happened.

Polaris passes out in front of the Quiet Council and starts spouting the prophecy of who the 10 champions will be and I'm sure someone will write it out. She wakes up and takes the remains of Rockslide. (Or whats left of him)

Magneto is pissed at Apocalypse for bringing this to Krakoa.

Polaris goes off and realized that Rockslide was a sacrifice needed for a ritual. She creates a casting circle with 10 places. Each time one of the champions enters, it will show them as the champion of Krakoa.

Its called the Voltus Glade and its dedicated to Rockslide.

Anyone who dies in Otherworld gets a true death.

Magik steps into one of the circles and is ready to fight. "Pound the drums of war"

This was a very dense issue. My writing this doesnt do it justice. You all should read it.

I created this quickly so we could actually talk about the issue.

Others will definitely elaborate on things I briefly mentioned or skipped.

Thank you.

Also I hope the New X-Men Academy kids get an issue after Swords of X. Get the reunion issue they deserve to reminisce on Santa Vacarro.
    Last edited by CGAR; 09-30-2020 at 08:09 AM.

RIP Value-brand The Thing

Fantastic Member

Can someone explain to me what Rachel saw in Apocalypse's head when Rictor manifested in his thoughts? Does this imply that Apocalypse has a thing for him???

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Is it only X-Factor today?
    "Cable was right!"

Only X-Factor today. Yeah did he picture Rictor saying all that? I was confused by that as well.

Mighty Member

So the resurrection process is broken now?

No Rictor coming back?

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Poor Rockslide. [A]'s line about not asking for a connection to Rictor was weird, pretty sure he purposefully made a connection in order to manipulate him. Pleased with Lorna getting so much spotlight, although I'm not sure about that wanting to fade away business. I liked Emma's reaction at the Council meeting, that felt very in character. The threat of permadeath raises the stakes nicely. Looking forward to the sword quests. I like Gomez' art and Siva's colors are very vibrant, but I don't think either quite matched the tone of the book.

Everyone mourning Rockslide as if he was some important person in all of their lives felt a bit weird to me.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    So the resurrection process is broken now?

No Rictor coming back?
    At least read CGAR's post.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Everyone mourning Rockslide as if he was some important person in all of their lives felt a bit weird to me.
    Part of it may have been their own shock and fear at someone actually dying....

True, good point.

I wonder if this means Unus is going to be permanently dead too based on the preview pages.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    RIP Value-brand The Thing
    Kirkland Brand The Thing.

A year of Resurrection Protocols was all it took for them to forget that any character death in a superhero comic book is just the first step toward them coming back to life.

Yeah I think it was because of the actual true death of a young mutant. If it was Glob I wouldnt have cared. But I was a New X-Men Academy guy so I am glad Rockslide got a little more than just one sentence.

The art was a little more cartoony than expected. But I'm no artist so yeah. Subjective.

Apoc being shown stabbed by all of his kids instead of just War and Summoner was also a change.

I also forgot to mention Emma wanted to call of the entire thing because of one death of a mutant student. Legit in character.
    Last edited by CGAR; 09-30-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    Can someone explain to me what Rachel saw in Apocalypse's head when Rictor manifested in his thoughts? Does this imply that Apocalypse has a thing for him???
    [A] interpreted Rachel's voice as both his children/og horsemen and as Rictor, which implies that he does care about him somewhat. It seems to me more paternal than romantic, but I'm sure others will interpret it differently.