Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Sandman Mystery Theater worth checking out?

something about that character set in the 1930s just seems really interesting, especially under the Vertigo imprint. Is it worth the read?

Absolutely!! One of the best series to ever come out of DC. It's more of a crime series with slight supernatural or super-hero type elements rather than a super-hero series set in the 30's so if that suits you, you will not regret picking it up. recognizable DC elements (and characters) pop up from time to time, but always feels natural and germane to the story rather than a sales gimmick and it never derails the tone of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Absolutely!! One of the best series to ever come out of DC. It's more of a crime series with slight supernatural or super-hero type elements rather than a super-hero series set in the 30's so if that suits you, you will not regret picking it up. recognizable DC elements (and characters) pop up from time to time, but always feels natural and germane to the story rather than a sales gimmick and it never derails the tone of the book.
    I agree with this. YES!!

The series is a Vertigo take on the early Sandman and adds a late 20th century twist to thos late 1930's early 1940's adventures.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Abso-goddamn-lutely.

Sandman Mystery Theatre is in my opinion one of the single best titles DC has ever put out. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

"You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

A truly spectacular series. The only problem with it is that DC stopped the collections about a third of the way through.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    A truly spectacular series. The only problem with it is that DC stopped the collections about a third of the way through.
    Our eternal shame.

I hope it gets a compendium treatment like Starman so more can enjoy this classic.

Man, they stopped putting out the paperback omnibuses of Starman, too, didn't they? I gotta binge that on DCU one of these days...

I sure wish DCU had Sandman Mystery Theatre - I've only got five volumes of it. Maybe if we're lucky they're bring it on when they rebrand next year.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Man, they stopped putting out the paperback omnibuses of Starman, too, didn't they? I gotta binge that on DCU one of these days...

I sure wish DCU had Sandman Mystery Theatre - I've only got five volumes of it. Maybe if we're lucky they're bring it on when they rebrand next year.
    They're doing compendiums, which are paperback 1000 page monsters that go for $60, or like $30 on instocktrades. That model is extremely affordable and I really hope they didn't cancel Starman again... But yeah, I hope Sandman Mystery Theatre gets printed that way. Optimal? No, but cheap and a no-brainer, high value product for customers. Pull the trigger, DC!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really enjoyed it, but I was trade reading it so I wasn’t able to finish it after they stopped releasing them.

Arguably, the best series DC has ever published.

I’d get mindwiped if I could just to read this series for the first time again.

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yeeeessss
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I loved it. It's an all-time Top Five DC series for me, along with Robinson's Starman, Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League International/America/Europe, and Ostrander's Suicide Squad.

I had the complete run of Sandman Mystery Theatre as single issues (along with the Sandman Midnight Theatre graphic novel) and sent them all out to a bindery to be bound into three customized hardcover volumes. Those are some of the prides of my collection, and I did the same with Starman and JLI/A/E.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

In case you didn't quite understand others long form answers, let me sum them up....
    YES

Nice to see SMT getting so much love. I worry it’s growing increasingly obscure, and it was niche to begin with. Great book.