Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is Sandman Mystery Theater worth checking out?

something about that character set in the 1930s just seems really interesting, especially under the Vertigo imprint. Is it worth the read?

Absolutely!! One of the best series to ever come out of DC. It's more of a crime series with slight supernatural or super-hero type elements rather than a super-hero series set in the 30's so if that suits you, you will not regret picking it up. recognizable DC elements (and characters) pop up from time to time, but always feels natural and germane to the story rather than a sales gimmick and it never derails the tone of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Absolutely!! One of the best series to ever come out of DC. It's more of a crime series with slight supernatural or super-hero type elements rather than a super-hero series set in the 30's so if that suits you, you will not regret picking it up. recognizable DC elements (and characters) pop up from time to time, but always feels natural and germane to the story rather than a sales gimmick and it never derails the tone of the book.
    I agree with this. YES!!

The series is a Vertigo take on the early Sandman and adds a late 20th century twist to thos late 1930's early 1940's adventures.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Abso-goddamn-lutely.

Sandman Mystery Theatre is in my opinion one of the single best titles DC has ever put out. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

"You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

A truly spectacular series. The only problem with it is that DC stopped the collections about a third of the way through.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.