Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Well other than the Batman animated series origin for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Part of the problem with Tim is that in media, Dick has essentially absorbed all the elements of Tim. Usualyl if you see Robin in something (and it's not Damien) then it's Tim with Dick's name and origin.
    Not really, that’s just what happens when you try to attribute modernization to a character. The real problem with Tim is that he isn’t a particularly unique or a necessary character to begin with, and other media usually exists in younger more contemporary worlds where modernization is inherent.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-30-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Agreed on the Azraels. And, honestly, I'd boot this version of Huntress too. I recognize that Luke doesn't really add much either but like him and his relationship with Barbara too much to say that he should be let go.

Maybe it's because I'm super behind on Outsiders but I've also felt like Duke was...unneeded. So if he left too, you wouldn't hear me complain. I love seeing more people of color in the Batfamily but every time I see Duke he's just such a...background character. He just doesn't add anything.
    Outsiders was okay, but a lot of things could've been handled better. Half the book took place in Markovia, yet the writer refused to use Geo Force and I didn't like how Batman 'upgraded' Black Lightning, especially when the upgrade is stuff he was capable of doing before this run.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Not really, that’s just what happens when you try to attribute modernization to a character. The real problem with Tim is that he isn’t a particularly unique or a necessary character to begin with, and other media usually exists in younger more contemporary worlds where modernization is inherent.
    Same goes for Damian. His only hook is as the blood son.

The Bat-Family of the main books should be Dick, Barbara, and Damian.

Huntress goes back to Earth-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well it also doesn’t hurt that he’s the antithesis of what people have come to think of with Robin.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-30-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Part of the problem with Tim is that in media, Dick has essentially absorbed all the elements of Tim. Usualyl if you see Robin in something (and it's not Damien) then it's Tim with Dick's name and origin.
    Of the major instances that come to mind (BTAS, Teen Titans cartoon, YJ), all of those have more in common with Dick than Tim.

BTAS for example is straight up just Bronze Age Dick with a modernized costume (which Neal Adams originally designed for him anyway). Teen Titans had the obsessive qualities from the NTT comics with just the blatant Batman influence removed, etc.

Incredible Member

Or they combine Tim with Jason.

I vote keeping Alfred, the Robins, and all 4 Batgirls plus Huntress (pre 2011 personality with her Grayson redesign)
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

The only thing animated Dick took from Tim is the Bo Staff. I keep seeing this claim a lot and that's about as accurate as the claim that Tim is the only Robin to be ever called Detective is Ra's.

It's simply not the truth.

Not that i agree but... At least he has a hook not all Robin's can claim the same.

Damian is rebooted or retconned out. Blood son of Batman was a bad idea, and I still don't like the little ****.
    Damian being the blood son that was rejected by Bruce and made family by Dick is what sold me on the character.

he underlines and reminds us that family is more than blood. batman has this large found family. An essential part of the mythos.

Damian not only enhances the Batman mythos but Dick Grayson's as well.

I wonder if Dc can ever stop stunting the characters. I mean they have to make sure Bruce is out time and not a Balance if they are going for have the family
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-30-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Tim, Damian, Barbara, Cassandra, and Kate. Dick needs to grow as a character; it’s kinda frustrating how he’s stuck between moving out of Batman’s shadow with the Titans, Bludhaven, and becoming a spy. Either make him Batman or let him be his own character that’s moved on. Jason works better as a full on villain, preferably as written by Judd Winnick. I’ve never bought his redemption arc, mainly because we never got it. Azrael works better as either an antagonist or someone trying to redeem themself, but still tense with Bruce. Don’t really care that much about steph tbh.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

This is why I feel maybe he shouldn't appear too much in Batman comics. He can be in the family but he has his own life. This is why Dick can never be in a relationship because it breaks the status quote

Nightwing! Nightwing needs to move the hell on. He's plateaued as a bat. I'd move him to another franchise were he'd be more unique and hove more room and freedom.

Free up space for the other dozen bat kids.

I'd move his solo to justice league and have him go on solo strike missions around the dcu. Like he already does in YJ.OUTSIDERS and in Grayson but instead of agent 37 of spyral he's nightwing of the JL.
    Last edited by WonderNight; 09-30-2020 at 09:35 PM.