Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Congrats to Iron Maiden!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Congratulations, Iron Maiden!

And thanks icctrombone and Attila Kiss for the votes!

The minute I saw that Frazetta cover, I knew it would end up on the medal stand, at LEAST, if not win.

Congrats to Iron Maiden.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Congratulations, Iron Maiden!

Congrats I.M.!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Congratulations Iron Maiden, and thanks to CaptCleghorn for the highlight vote of the week!
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Congrats Iron Maiden. A great cover!

Thanks to Nschornhorst and WBE for the votes. Always great to see those old Disney comics get some love
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Congrats IM. It a weird kind of synchronicity, I just read the new Frazetta art book-The Fantastic Paintings of Frank Frazetta, which features that painting on the cover and has a feature on it showing how Frank disliked the version used by Warren and revised it after he got the painting back (most of the revisions are centered o the face of the princess-you posted both versions) with an essay accompanying the two versions explaining Frank's motivations for the changes and how they changed the tone and effect of the image).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Congratulations on the win, Iron Maiden!
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thank you everyone and thanks to foxley, Tami, Kai "the spy", Conn Seanery, and ed2962 for your votes! It's been a while since I was in the winners' circle. I had a couple of ideas knocking around so will get to work on that quickly after I check to see it hasn't been used already.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Congrats IM. It a weird kind of synchronicity, I just read the new Frazetta art book-The Fantastic Paintings of Frank Frazetta, which features that painting on the cover and has a feature on it showing how Frank disliked the version used by Warren and revised it after he got the painting back (most of the revisions are centered o the face of the princess-you posted both versions) with an essay accompanying the two versions explaining Frank's motivations for the changes and how they changed the tone and effect of the image).

-M
    Wow.....thanks for posting that. I will have to check that out! I have several art collection books and this looks like a good one to add. I sort of grew up with Frazetta since when we were kids our Dad would buy us Famous Monsters, Creepy and Eerie.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-07-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Congratulations to Iron Maiden for a cover which has truly become iconic in many circles. Frazetta is truly among the greatest of the great and his work appeals to our prurient, academic, and artistic views. Well done, Latverian citizen! Thou hast made Doom proud.

And now the peak of the week as the captain rambles about what this contest has taught him this week. Now, you probably know the captain is an American Superhero guy who merely dabbles in stuff outside the big two. He makes no apologies for that; there is no shame in being a cape-loving Wednesday Warrior (wtf,dc?). But although he has known there was a lot out there outside his normal views, actually seeing much of it is far different than merely knowing it's there. When looking outside our boxes, there will be reactions varying from "Ugh, what is THAT?" to "OMFG, how did I not know about this?" I saw some stuff I might never have seen otherwise and that is why I come back every week. I congratulate Scott Taylor on the contest selection this week.

And now some other business that I am handling here to keep from inflating my post count artificially.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Congratulations Iron Maiden, and thanks to CaptCleghorn for the highlight vote of the week!
    I actually thought about the name Tove Jansson when perusing the list of honorees and wondered about them, not even realizing Tove was a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I'll choose the underdog among masters; Curt Swan, with the cover that could possibly be his magnum opus
    Yea I don't know how you can call Swan an underdog on any level. Especially when you're the near 30 year definitive artist of the biggest cape of the time. When I think of underdogs I think poor Bill Finger, even though he got it coming and going. Swan was a pilar, those that know, know and we all know it was a dirty game for how talent was treated most of his career. Even when Marvel was spearing ahead I feel DC was always a decade behind the times in more than a couple areas. He was a bull, I don't see him as a dog.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I actually thought about the name Tove Jansson when perusing the list of honorees and wondered about them, not even realizing Tove was a woman.
    When I saw her name in the list I immediately thought, drat it, I know I'm not gonna win, but I have to choose something of hers.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Yay, Empress of Latveria!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Yay, Empress of Latveria!
    Thanks!