Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    A 12 issue mini series would be perfect to really explore Earth 3. I would love to see them really expand the CSA roster and make it sort of like the Satalite era. I want to see more of Atomica, Deathstorm, Sea King, Deadeye, White Cat, Bloodhawk, and The White Martian. Show the CSA's rise to power and all the infighting and backstabbing.
    I would much rather see original stories of Earth 3 over just retold older stories with a twist.
    What would interest me would be a CSA homage to the late, GREAT Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme mini-series. Imagine:
    • The CSA finally achieve ultimate power but are forced to actually run the planet
    • Owlman "retires to enjoy his riches," knowing the CSA will not give him as large a share as he [believes that he] deserves, and will eventually crush him if he tries to claim it
    • Owlman secretly collects allies (including the Jester and Lex Luthor) and orchestrates the CSA's downfall
    • Pyrrhic victories follow.

It would be really interesting for a mini series but in the end, the villains always win on Earth 3. I don’t think that concept is sustainable as a monthly.

I would much rather see original stories of Earth 3 over just retold older stories with a twist.
    That's why they're just interludes to give flavor and support to the "main" story of Ultraman reclaiming his position as Top Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It would be really interesting for a mini series but in the end, the villains always win on Earth 3. I don’t think that concept is sustainable as a monthly.
    I like the idea that there would be a lot more infighting between different crime bosses than between super-heroes. That doesn't necessarily reflect real life, but it does insofar as cops usually fight and kill other cops way less than criminals kill other criminals.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

You say that like villain protagonists aren’t a thing, or that people don’t enjoy stories where the good guys lose. I’d disagree with that premise, I think there is an audience for a book about the bad guys building up their power bases and defying the good guys efforts to thwart them.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I've pitched my idea for a CSA series here before, and it used a sort of similar concept to what you just said about adapting already-popular Earth 1 stories to the Earth 3 setting.

Every issue would have a "flashback" to a "classic" Crime Syndicate story, newly written and drawn to resemble an inversion of a real old DC story, intercut with an arc-long story spanning six or twelve issues, which would be about Ultraman returning from a long trip through deep space or the Multiverse and out to reclaim his title as the Boss of Bosses in a super-mafia thriller.

So for example, in the issue where Ultraman confronts Owlman upon his return, we might see a twist on "Case of the Chemical Syndicate" where Owlman recruits Alfred Stryker as the first underling in his mob in exchange for helping him to murder his co-conspirators for their share of the profits. Or we might see a twist on the first story where Batman and Superman met - only with Owlman and Ultraman teaming up to stick up a cruise ship full of wealthy targets!

I think the creation of a fictional meta-history of the CSA's universe would potentially invigorate the concept, creatively.
    Eh, I'm not really a fan of flashbacks to fill up some other story. I'd rather just play it straight.

Agreed, and that's a good thing. Monthlies aren't usually that great. A couple really great stories a year is better. Make it some of the best writing out there.