Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who is the weakest character from marvel that can defeat Mephisto?

I always wondered way Mephisto Mephisto wasn't consider a cosmic or just before you get to cosmic level, like beyond Sliver Surfer being the cut off. So, I want to know who is the weakest that can sneak a win from this guy? It can even be a team as long as the members contribute to the victory.

1) Outside his realm

2) Inside his realm

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Mephisto is a tough nut to crack. The biggest issue, in terms of Rumbles, is that he doesn't really have great combat power. He can summon hordes of demons... none of whom are a match for someone like, say, Thor. Hell, all of them together aren't. He just never really engages in mano a mano confrontations. I would grant him durability well beyond his offensive power. He's also got that classic demon thing of being able to do really impressive-as-hell things in a bargain or a deal. Someone who can make everyone who has ever met or heard of, or who ever will meet or will hear of, Spider-Man forget his secret identity, and moreover, be incapable of putting the pieces together to find it in the future, should have the ability to trivially turn Thor or Silver Surfer into a puppet. That's... just not what happens.

Yes, he's got "sneaky" as bad as The Dorm has "arrogant," but push comes to shove, he should be able to do more. He just... doesn't. He's all about tricking cat's paws.

Inside his realm, he's diet coke cosmic. He's still no match for Galactus or Classic Odin based on feats, though, as rules for Marvel demon-ish realms go, he should be. He's toyed with Classic Strange there, though the good Doctor always wins in the end. The problem, again, is that Thor, Surfer and Ghost Rider have gone on rampages there and been completely beyond Mephisto's ability to stop because, I dunno, "really mad?"

Like I said, hard to place. Given how these things "should" work in Marvel canon, he ought to be maybe Thanos level when not at home, and Classic Odin-ish when at home. He just lacks the pure combat feats.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Inside his realm, he's diet coke cosmic. He's still no match for Galactus or Classic Odin based on feats, though, as rules for Marvel demon-ish realms go, he should be. He's toyed with Classic Strange there, though the good Doctor always wins in the end. The problem, again, is that Thor, Surfer and Ghost Rider have gone on rampages there and been completely beyond Mephisto's ability to stop because, I dunno, "really mad?"

Like I said, hard to place. Given how these things "should" work in Marvel canon, he ought to be maybe Thanos level when not at home, and Classic Odin-ish when at home. He just lacks the pure combat feats.
    He demonstrates that kind of thing in the rather classic 'Triumph and Torment' (Strange and Doom), where 'at home' Mephisto is basically beyond both of them, together.

It is, mind, a portrayal at odds with the instances you cite of other heroes rampaging through his dimension.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    He demonstrates that kind of thing in the rather classic 'Triumph and Torment' (Strange and Doom), where 'at home' Mephisto is basically beyond both of them, together.

It is, mind, a portrayal at odds with the instances you cite of other heroes rampaging through his dimension.
    True on that reference, it had slipped my mind.

I certainly believe, based on how Marvel generally works, he, as ruler of a demon realm, should be relatively all powerful in said realm. Mephisto's feats specifically just wind up all over the place. Obviously it helps that the guy has appeared in many big stories and many different books by now: more appearances means more opportunities for writers to completely screw up the Rumbles process.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    True on that reference, it had slipped my mind.

I certainly believe, based on how Marvel generally works, he, as ruler of a demon realm, should be relatively all powerful in said realm. Mephisto's feats specifically just wind up all over the place. Obviously it helps that the guy has appeared in many big stories and many different books by now: more appearances means more opportunities for writers to completely screw up the Rumbles process.
    No joke.

Mephisto comes off as one of the stronger of the Hell-Lords (as Marvel names them now, and no, despite Marvel's current insistence on it, Furnace Face has never been a 'hell-lord'). He SHOULD be above anyone not named 'skyfather' or 'lord of chaos' in his own realm.

But no.

There's another instance. Dr. Strange, Sorcerer Supreme, second storyline - Mordo's big (hilarious) gambit of selling his soul to TWO different demon lords and leaving Strange to clean up the mess. It presents Mephisto, manifested in the Earth Realm, as someone beyond Strange, and him fighting with Satannish as something that endangers the entire world (as collateral).

Again, doesn't jibe with other presentations of Mephisto. Go figure.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-01-2020 at 05:24 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Black Panther did it:

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Who's Marvel's best non-cosmic fiddler?

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Black Panther did it:
    *cannot help but laugh*

Gundam again.jpg

Edit: if you were serious, it's a valid point.
    Why are we here?

Look below.

Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Beadle; 10-01-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Who's Marvel's best non-cosmic fiddler?
    This guy. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ulric...er_(Earth-616)

BP did beat Mephisto, but it was on Earth and involved BatGod-style prep. Happened at the beginning of the Priest run.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    BP did beat Mephisto, but it was on Earth and involved BatGod-style prep. Happened at the beginning of the Priest run.
    Ah. Say no more.

I really enjoyed that run but it was one of the most egregious examples of making a character ridiculously uber-competent, e.g. Tony Stark being portrayed consistently as an utter moron.

So punching out the premier Hell Lord is just one more shoulder shrug.

Wasn't there a comic where Mephisto trapped Galactus in his (Mephisto's) realm and Galactus' reaction was basically "Well OK, if that's how you want it..suppertime!"?
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own - for the children, and the children yet unborn. And the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.-Rod Serling

Quote Originally Posted by Menace of Mysterio View Post
    Wasn't there a comic where Mephisto trapped Galactus in his (Mephisto's) realm and Galactus' reaction was basically "Well OK, if that's how you want it..suppertime!"?
    To be fair, that's also how Galactus dealt with Odin and Asgard when he is done playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    That should do it.