Thread: Spoilers WW 763

Default Spoilers WW 763

This issue was underwhelming to say the least. What could have been an exciting reveal was already spoiled by the solicits. Liar Liar's background was told so quickly it lacked any emotional resonance, it was a simple laying out of facts that we as the reader care nothing about. There was no mystery, no suspense, yet also no real answers. We still don't know why Emma Lord is such a little monster. Did she inherit Maxwell Lord's motivations the same way she inherited his powers? Most people's parents color the truth in order to protect them, why was that such an unbearable offense it warranted murder? It didn't make much sense because we were privy to so small amount of information. We needed Emma's mother's story to fully understand, were she and Maxwell Lord in love? What ended their relationship? Why did she keep her daughter's paternity a secret from her?

Wonder Woman basically stood around and only reacted to what was going on in front of her. Then when the battle was joined she had help from Maxwell Lord, which took away her agency a left her yet again a background character in her own title. This could have been so much more.

What it was was a showcase of why the new timeline is so confusing, how could New 52 Diana be pictured with Rebirth Hippolyta when her mother was blonde? Under what circumstances exactly did Wonder Woman snap Maxwell Lord's neck? The whole thing is a mess. I give it a 2 out of 5 for the art alone.

I really, really didn't like it. The book might as well be called Max Lord & Friends. I feel bad for Mariko Tamaki as this is definitely editorial mandated. And it looks like Max Lord is here for the long run so I doubt she'll get a chance to do her own thing.

As for the new 52 reference, it mentions lies so I just assumed it was a reference to The Lies arc.

I’m trying not to add to the sometimes relentless negativity on these threads, but... I was also pretty disappointed with how this story turned out. Especially after such a promising start. I’m still not entirely sure what Emma’s motivations were and it seems as if they played it pretty fast and loose as to what “mind control” powers will let you get away with.

The art was definitely not my taste. Sorry, but Diana looks like a 16 y/o waif with breast implants.

Spectacular Member

Artwork was very bad & their mouths look like they had strokes. Diana didnt do much no feats

I guess I missed issue 762? Uh, anyway, its more or less the yupe of story you'd expect. I do like the art though and that they brought up Wonder woman's neckality of Maxwell.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 10-01-2020 at 10:03 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I don't feel bad for Tamaki about this at all. Was Max an editorial mandate? 100%. Was liar liar or Max and Diana teaming up? I seriously doubt it. There could have been so many angles to choose from. Heck, off that top of my head Max could have been mind controlling some of Diana's villains (lets say Angle-man and Silver Swan) to help him look for an artifact that helps him regain his memory from the previous timeline. Wasn't hard to think of. Instead we get another minor leagues villain with 0 motivation and a generic villain origin story.

I also believe that Tamaki just cannot write powerful characters. I said before that the best moment happened off panel, Diana stopping a nuke... which before she could just take it into orbit and punch it point blank and be fine... now we don't get to see her even stop it. Its frustrating because you get other powerhouses getting their time to shine all the time and Diana can't even do that in her own book.

I think at this point DC merged the Nu52 and Post-Crisis timelines, explains that panel. I which I already figured given the other panels from her books and seeing as I put PC and Nu52 feats on her respect thread (which might as well be dead).

Anyway, I think I'm ready for the next writer that will be on for all of 5 issues.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

It would be great if we got a writer who stayed on for years like Peter David with Hulk (and Supergirl, and Aquaman) and Walt Simonson did with Thor. Somebody like Jason Aaron that has multiple story ideas which build on each other sounds excellent. Or give the book back to Orlando and let him have free reign to do whatever he wants, I trust him almost as much as Rucka.

If this arc is supposed to convince me that Max Lord deserves a major role in WW mythos, it's doing a very bad job.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I don't feel bad for Tamaki about this at all. Was Max an editorial mandate? 100%. Was liar liar or Max and Diana teaming up? I seriously doubt it. There could have been so many angles to choose from. Heck, off that top of my head Max could have been mind controlling some of Diana's villains (lets say Angle-man and Silver Swan) to help him look for an artifact that helps him regain his memory from the previous timeline. Wasn't hard to think of. Instead we get another minor leagues villain with 0 motivation and a generic villain origin story.

I also believe that Tamaki just cannot write powerful characters. I said before that the best moment happened off panel, Diana stopping a nuke... which before she could just take it into orbit and punch it point blank and be fine... now we don't get to see her even stop it. Its frustrating because you get other powerhouses getting their time to shine all the time and Diana can't even do that in her own book.

I think at this point DC merged the Nu52 and Post-Crisis timelines, explains that panel. I which I already figured given the other panels from her books and seeing as I put PC and Nu52 feats on her respect thread (which might as well be dead).

Anyway, I think I'm ready for the next writer that will be on for all of 5 issues.

I think we're at Donna Troy levels in terms of continuity.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    If this arc is supposed to convince me that Max Lord deserves a major role in WW mythos, it's doing a very bad job.
    I'm mainly still finding this story rather middle of the road/average (not bad but won't enter my favorites list) but yeah, people who say Max has a place in Diana's world are gonna need to keep looking for a reason beyond one moment from 15 years ago.