Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default A Run down of the Sword Bearers and their Mutant Abilities

So Marvel gave us a run down of Arrako's ten Sword Bearers and their powers, so let's have a mutant ability comparison (Both sides clearly have other abilities, but let's just keep it natural for now)

Arrako
    Solem - Adamantium Skin
    White Sword - healer (Possibly an External)
    Pogg ur Pogg - Pogg Ur Pogg
    Isca - Cursed to Win
    Redroot - Field of Decay
    Bei the Blood Moon - Silent Commander (??????????)
    Summoner - Invulnerability
    War - Sentient Flame
    Death - Death Stare
    Annihilation - Redacted

Krakoa
    Magik - Teleportation(Technically it's portals but whatever)
    Wolverine - Claws and Healing Factor
    Doug - Universal Linguistics
    Gorgon - Stone sight
    Captain Britain - Telekinesis and Telepathy
    Cable - Telekinesis
    Storm - Weather Manipulation
    Brian Braddock - ??? (Can't really say since he's not captain britain any more)
    Apocalypse - Self Manipulation (External)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Annihilation has a Stand that can manipulate time.
    "Cable was right!"

Summoner and Solem seem a bit redundant but I guess if Solem is going to be Wolverine's arch nemesis, adamantium makes sense.

Wait, how does adamantium exist in Arakko?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Summoner and Solem seem a bit redundant but I guess if Solem is going to be Wolverine's arch nemesis, adamantium makes sense.

Shut up, don't think about it. It's cool.

Also we got 2 Psychics (Four if you count Apocalypse and Gorgon) X-men love power redundancies.
    Last edited by Woozie; 10-01-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    So Marvel gave us a run down of Arrako's ten Sword Bearers and their powers, so let's have a mutant ability comparison (Both sides clearly have other abilities, but let's just keep it natural for now)

(...)

Arrako
    Solem - Adamantium Skin
    Isca - Cursed to Win
    Redroot - Field of Decay
    War - Sentient Flame
    Death - Death Stare
    Annihilation - Redacted
    Many of them remind me a lot to how new mutant enemies in the 90's were created. Just give them a cool look (or at least what the writers/artists thought of as) and badly defined impressive sounding powers.

Vessel with his power to "asborb the souls of the dead to empower himself" would feel right at home there if you gave him some pseudo-egyptan outfit.

How does one define non-magic super powers as "cursed to win"? Isn't that just a fancier way of describing luck powers aka. probability manipulation? Also sooner or later she gets defeated, which makes me wonder how she is going to name herself afterwards?

Wasn't there a Wolverine enemy before who had adamantium grafted to his skin? Solem feels like various former Wolverine enemies just slapped together in order to create the next "big thing" for him as enemy. They even gave him a katana as weapon on the covers. Wonder if his standard trick is to teleport behind his enemies and say "Nothing personal kid."?

As before, it feels to me like they really try to hype up a bunch of (mostly) mayfly characters way too hard.
    Last edited by Grunty; 10-01-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Many of them remind me a lot to how new mutant enemies in the 90's were created. Just give them a cool look (or at least what the writers/artists thought of as) and badly defined impressive sounding powers.

How does one define non-magic super powers as "cursed to win"? Isn't that just a fancier way of describing luck powers aka. probability manipulation? Also sooner or later she gets defeated, which makes me wonder how she is going to name herself afterwards?

Wasn't there a Wolverine enemy before who had adamantium grafted to his skin? Solem feels like various former Wolverine enemies just slapped together in order to create the next "big thing" for him as enemy. They even gave him a katana as weapon on the covers. Wonder if his standard trick is to teleport behind his enemies and say "Nothing personal kid."?

As before, it feels to me like they really try to hype up a bunch of (mostly) mayfly characters way too hard.
    They already explained in the last X-men comic that the power of Isca is to never lose.

The trick is that if she's going to lose, her power "forces" her to switch sides. So if an X-Men looks like they're going to beat her, shel'll betray Arakko, team up with Krakoa, and win.

It must be a type of low-level reality warping, like Domino, indeed.

Astonishing Member

They already explained in the last X-men comic that the power of Isca is to never lose.

The trick is that if she's going to lose, her power "forces" her to switch sides. So if an X-Men looks like they're going to beat her, shel'll betray Arakko, team up with Krakoa, and win.

It must be a type of low-level reality warping, like Domino, indeed.
    Wasn't that just how Summoner described her? To explain why she betrayed Genesis (which likely didn't happen as he described it)?

But if true. It sounds more like a combination of subconscious precognition and a forced turn coat mentality.

Reminds me to Nobby Nobbs from Discworld who during his time in the army, became an indicator for his officers on how the battle stood. They just had to keep an eye on which uniform he switched to.

Isn't Adamantium an alloy created with vibranium as basis? If they knew the later allready, they might have found a way to create the former too.
    Considering all the weapons involved are far past the bronze/early iron age level of technology and design, which should have been the standard at the time Arrako is said to have been created, it wouldn't be too suprising they had a lot of a head start in that regard.

Besides that there is magic and super powers involved. So having advanced technology or materials wouldn't be too hard to figure out.
    Last edited by Grunty; 10-01-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post

Arrako
    Solem - Adamantium Skin
    Isca - Cursed to Win
    Redroot - Field of Decay
    War - Sentient Flame
    Death - Death Stare
    Annihilation - Redacted

Krakoa
    Magik - Teleportation(Technically it's portals but whatever)
    Wolverine - Claws and Healing Factor
    Doug - Universal Linguistics
    Gorgon - Stone sight
    Captain Britain - Telekinesis and Telepathy
    Cable - Telekinesis
    Storm - Weather Manipulation
    Brian Braddock - ??? (Can't really say since he's not captain britain any more)
    Apocalypse - Self Manipulation (External)
    Brian Braddock is still Captain Britain, he just uses the Sword of Might now, instead of the Amulet of Right.

Mighty Member

I like the look of War reminds me of a character I had a card from from WildCATS who had a flaming head. Is that Apocolypses son or someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Brian Braddock is still Captain Britain, he just uses the Sword of Might now, instead of the Amulet of Right.
    If the Sword of Might works like the Amulet of Right (which I think it is, since an alternate Brian with the sword was seen in Avengers Arena), then Brian has the typical set.

Super strength, flying, super endurance...

The trick is that Captain Britain works like Gladiator or Exodus, his power is directly proportional to how confident he is. On a good day Captain Britain is one of the most powerful heroes on earth. On a day with low self-esteem instead...

Wasn't that just how Summoner described her? To explain why she betrayed Genesis (which likely didn't happen as he described it)?

But if true. It sounds more like a combination of subconscious precognition and a forced turn coat mentality.

Reminds me to Nobby Nobbs from Discworld who during his time in the army, became an indicator for his officers on how the battle stood. They just had to keep an eye on which uniform he switched to.
    Yeah, Nobby is a great example.

Astonishing Member

I mean Summoner may be a lying backstabbing garbage man but I see no reason why he would lie about that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I like the look of War reminds me of a character I had a card from from WildCATS who had a flaming head. Is that Apocolypses son or someone else?
    War is a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    War is a woman.
    I'm anatomically curious how she could give birth to Summoner if she is a living flame.

Like ... how. WHO.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Isca's role will probably be a way around the precog ban- in the end, she will be unable to join Krakoa because they still lose, and of course some people will pay attention to that.

Astonishing Member

I'm anatomically curious how she could give birth to Summoner if she is a living flame.

Like ... how. WHO.
    Solem and White Sword seem like pretty good candidates