Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Thing Appreciation

Have a love for the man with a rocky hide and a heart of gold, who is the idol of millions?
    Then by Aunt Petunia you came to the right place!

BANNED

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I will jump on board! Love love love Blushing Ben! When I started reading my dad's collecting I was somehow draw to the early FF issues and Issue 25 and 26 were some of the 1st one's I read. The heart that Ben showed even in his first defeat warmed my heart and my love for the smart talking, Yancy Street walking, Aunt Petunia quoting man-monster.

I wish he was held with the same regard that he was back then. Only 2 heroes could give him a run for his money and that was Hulk and Thor...Now I feel they treat him at 2-3 levels below those two. Bring Back the powerhouse I fell in love with.

The FF Omnibus #1 was a great treat reading and viewing how Ben morphed into the form we now know and love (Heck, I even loved the Pinapple Thing).

When it comes to Heart, Power, Attitude, and never ever ever giving up...Benjamin J Grimm ranks up there with the greatest heroes of all time (Spidey, Superman, etc). Long Live Aunt Petunia's favorite Nephew!!!

While we are taking Ben Love (thanks for starting the Appreciation btw Alvarez), What are your's and other posters Top Ten Comics with BEN in them?

From the top of my head I would say:

FF: 25,26, 55, 320
    Giant Size FF #1
    Marvel two in One 50
    Marvel two in One Annual 7

Will think of more later...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    I will jump on board! Love love love Blushing Ben! When I started reading my dad's collecting I was somehow draw to the early FF issues and Issue 25 and 26 were some of the 1st one's I read. The heart that Ben showed even in his first defeat warmed my heart and my love for the smart talking, Yancy Street walking, Aunt Petunia quoting man-monster.

I wish he was held with the same regard that he was back then. Only 2 heroes could give him a run for his money and that was Hulk and Thor...Now I feel they treat him at 2-3 levels below those two. Bring Back the powerhouse I fell in love with.

The FF Omnibus #1 was a great treat reading and viewing how Ben morphed into the form we now know and love (Heck, I even loved the Pinapple Thing).

When it comes to Heart, Power, Attitude, and never ever ever giving up...Benjamin J Grimm ranks up there with the greatest heroes of all time (Spidey, Superman, etc). Long Live Aunt Petunia's favorite Nephew!!!
    Well said! And yeah, bring back the power house he once was!

When it comes to ol' Ben I'm in the line of thinking that he really is the heart of the Marvel universe.
    Going back to the Kirby-Lee days he interacted and befriended almost everyone.
    Despite looking how he did, he brought a warmth and endearing attitude that no other Marvel character has.

There's something to admire there. No matter how you look, it doesn't change who you are on the inside.

BANNED

While we are taking Ben Love (thanks for starting the Appreciation btw Alvarez), What are your's and other posters Top Ten Comics with BEN in them?

From the top of my head I would say:

FF: 25,26, 55, 320
    Giant Size FF #1
    Marvel two in One 50
    Marvel two in One Annual 7

Will think of more later...
    Oh wow, great list!
    I'll have to make a rec list.

Since he's my favorite character, this'll be hard.

BANNED

Well done, Alvarez! Some great starting images, also. Hadn't seen that one on how to draw Ben.

*cough* *cough* Namor *cough*

But I agree in part. Thing seems to have suffered a strength degrade (or power drift, I believe it's called) as time has gone by. Fortunately, he's not suffered an personality degrade. He remains a great character. I loved Hickman's future Ben story. It was heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Well said! And yeah, bring back the power house he once was!

When it comes to ol' Ben I'm in the line of thinking that he really is the heart of the Marvel universe.

Going back to the Kirby-Lee days he interacted and befriended almost everyone.
    Despite looking how he did, he brought a warmth and endearing attitude that no other Marvel character has.

There's something to admire there. No matter how you look, it doesn't change who you are on the inside.
    I can definitely see this. I miss Marvel Two In One.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post

All-New Marvel Two In One needs to be a thing... pun intended.

Thanks for the appreciation thread!

Ben is my favourite character in all fiction I've ever encountered. I grew up on a lot of Silver & early Bronze Age comics I inherited from my dad, and I was always the most drawn to Marvel Two-In-One. I fell in love with Ben straight away, when you've seen a guy fight Zuvembies working for Idi Amin, and fight the Grapplers to defend Project Pegasus, and travel the world to team up with the Living Mummy you get a real appreciation of the breadth and depth of the guy's character.

I really want that title back, ideally under Slott.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post

I really want that title back, ideally under Slott.
    Slott's Thing title was so damn good.
    I'd love for him to take another crack at him.

Stuart Immonen on art.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Well done, Alvarez! Some great starting images, also. Hadn't seen that one on how to draw Ben.

*cough* *cough* Namor *cough*

But I agree in part. Thing seems to have suffered a strength degrade (or power drift, I believe it's called) as time has gone by. Fortunately, he's not suffered an personality degrade. He remains a great character. I loved Hickman's future Ben story. It was heartbreaking.

Early on (FF 4) and the following few issues Namor was more of a "bad guy" for the FF (except for his hot steamy passion for Sue lol) that is why I didn't include him

Namor's power did seem to increase over the next few years (Beating the Hulk in Tales to Astonish #100)...But poor Ben has seemed to back slide.

I agree with bringing back MTIO... I would enjoy it even without big named artist and writer, but in today's comic book world I guess we need that for a series to last more than 12 issues

BANNED

To thiis day, this remains my all time favourite story featuring Aunt Petunia's favoured nephew....

Pure awesomness on all counts.

Love that issue as well (as do many Thing Fans I am sure).

Ben should be stronger than every joe on that cover except maybe Hulk/Thor/and SM in the water...
    Last edited by Mantis Girl 94; 05-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Slott's Thing title was so damn good.
    I'd love for him to take another crack at him.

Stuart Immonen on art.
    Haven't read it. Was that collected in trade?

Early on (FF 4) and the following few issues Namor was more of a "bad guy" for the FF (except for his hot steamy passion for Sue lol) that is why I didn't include him

Namor's power did seem to increase over the next few years (Beating the Hulk in Tales to Astonish #100)...But poor Ben has seemed to back slide.

I agree with bringing back MTIO... I would enjoy it even without big named artist and writer, but in today's comic book world I guess we need that for a series to last more than 12 issues
    Namor originally was the strongest of Marvel's characters, as he was their Superman analog. But when Marvel proper started in the 60s, his strength was degraded somewhat with the advent of 'new' characters like the Hulk. But he was still considered one of the top powerhouses, and IIRC, according to one blogger who actually went through and counted all their matches, Namor and Hulk ended pretty much tied as far as winning bouts. Actually, I think he did something similar for Thing. Must go searching.

Ben, of course, really has suffered a power drift loss as time has gone by.

BANNED

As promised ... the Yancy Street Gang STRIKES!