Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Happy 55th Anniversary First idol of Millions 616 Ben Grimm!!! 1961-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Have a love for the man with a rocky hide and a heart of gold, who is the idol of millions?
    Then by Aunt Petunia you came to the right place!

The Ever-Lovin'Blue-Eyed Thing!

Ben is guesting in Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. I wonder why he's wearing a Fantastic Four uniform when the team doesn't currently exist?

I think it's just a cover. The story says that Reed is still creating multiverses out there.

I hope he doesn't lose to Cho's Hulk. I think he should only lose to Banner.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Paul Ryan!!!

The Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Thing by Paul Ryan
    https://cultfaction.com/2016/03/07/p...-away-aged-66/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I can't believe someone hasn't beaten me to the following...

...one of my utmost favorite Thing (and Torch) stories, ever. Barry Windsor-Smith is on my list of the few who should have had a Fantastic Four creative run.
    Well, you beat me. By about two years. This was in a UK reprint in the 90's, one of the first FF-related stories I read, and gave me a big insight into just who 'The Thing' was...

Quote Originally Posted by codystarbuck View Post
    This storyline distills everything great about Ben Grimm. You see his caring side, as he looks in on Wundarr, his "blue collar" personality, in his interactions with everyone and in things like his poker games; you get some decent threats that challenge his strength and power, and you have a good mystery.

One of the things I liked about Ben Grimm is that he was allowed to come to terms with his transformation. He still had periods where he felt like he was cut off from humanity; but, they rarely lasted long. He was like someone who has gone through an accident and lost the use of a limb; but, learns to adjust and move on, both retaining the person they were and growing from the experience. Like Christopher Reeve. He took the cards he had been dealt and found a new purpose for his life, as an advocate for funding research into dealing with paralysis and other catastrophic injuries and illness. Ben was like that. He was turned into a monstrous form; but, once he got past the bitterness, he found that people could accept him for who he always was. Once he looked at life in a more positive manner, he found that people responded to him in the same way. He became a hero and an idol of millions, so much so, he actually was subconsciously defeating efforts to turn him back into human form. That's part of why I felt he was the perfect vehicle for team-ups. He was, down deep, a regular guy, whether he was a hotshot pilot and or a rocky-skinned superhero. He could relate to people of any walk of life.
    ... this. He's super-strong and isn't quite human, at least in appearance, but he's not a raging child-monster like the Hulk; he's not from a very different culture in a mythical land like Thor; or even like your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, who still keeps people at arms length and hides away. He's Ben Grimm, from across the way, one of the most down-to-earth and likeable people you'll meet. He just happens to be made of orange rocks.

And for all the hand-wringing about being a monster who makes women scream and curdles milk at 50 paces, I have a feeling that if superheroes had a more realistic impact on the 616 public conscious, culture, fashion, what have you, you'd see orange rocks everywhere.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Happy Birthday Paul!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Buy Infamous Iron Man guys. Ben appears and the issue reveals what he does after leaving the Guardians.

spoilers:
    Ben Grimm: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.!
    end of spoilers

Curious to see how much mileage Ben gets out of his new job .

Well, we seem to be seeing a bit more of spoilers:
    Golden Age Human Torch
    end of spoilers recently...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Curious to see how much mileage Ben gets out of his new job .
    ....About as much as Iron Man, Susan Richards, Kitty Pryde, Dani Moonstar & Alison Blaire did.

Doubt it, at least in Tony's case. He had a second book dedicated to his SHIELD business. Kitty also had a solo when she was an AOS.

spoilers:
    Can't say that I'm not slightly upset that the premise I wanted for Sue went to Ben instead.
    end of spoilers

At least he's doing something I guess. I wonder if he'll be in any books.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Happy Birthday Bernie Wrightson!!!

Incredible Hulk and the Thing graphic novel, 1987 - One of two early graphic novels for Marvel, Bernie Wrightson delivers a robustly drawn tale.
    The two heroes search for a missing scientist, taking them to the far reaches of the galaxy.
    Like Spider-man: Hooky, it's lushly illustrated with alien landscapes and grotesque aliens.
    Certain scenes appear to be inspired by George Lucas' Star Wars films and Jules Verne's War of the Worlds.

Action-packed scenes are frequent and aggressive. Sixty plus pages include ten splashes and four two-page spreads.
    Wrightson's rendition of these heroes is rare (only Incredible Hulk v2 #197 comes to mind), making this novel all the more special.
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....nie_wrightson/

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I have that GN somewhere. Haven't read it a while though.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Talking Happy Halloween!!!

HALLOWEENY COVERS FROM MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE