Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default The reason why I like Wonderwoman living in Gateway city.

1. It gives her a stable location that isn’t paradise island.
    2. It isn’t a defined place like a real city so it gives writers and artist leeway in creating iconic locations within the city.
    3. It can be used as a focusing point for All the magical heroes and villains in the DCU. Like Gotham is for street level heroes, and Metropolis is for more sci-fi themed characters. Gateway already has an association with magic thanks to the Spectre adding Wonderwoman to the mix would cement it as the Magic city.

4. DC needs a more marquee cities on the West cost To balance out the dominance of Metropolis and Gotham on the east coast.

It isn’t a knock against Diana if she operates out is real one as she did in just about all of her regarded runs.

If a writer really committed to it than maybe I could be swayed but operating out of a fictional city doesn’t really have any significant pros over a real one.

I mean the idea for Gateway city in this forum was make it into a real gateway. That it’s a portal city. I wouldn’t mind if it can’t be her real city. It can at least be a city where some of her villains and allies live

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    2. It isn’t a defined place like a real city so it gives writers and artist leeway in creating iconic locations within the city.
    3. It can be used as a focusing point for All the magical heroes and villains in the DCU. Like Gotham is for street level heroes, and Metropolis is for more sci-fi themed characters. Gateway already has an association with magic thanks to the Spectre adding Wonderwoman to the mix would cement it as the Magic city.

4. DC needs a more marquee cities on the West cost To balance out the dominance of Metropolis and Gotham on the east coast.
    I agree with all of these points and I would like for Wonder Woman to operate out of Gateway City. The Embassy can be her residence and it can act as a portal to Themyscira.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Agree 100% with all these points. Not only can Embassy Island reside on the coast but we can have ARGUS headquarters there as well. Everything in Diana's mythos nicely placed in one spot, perfectly allows her to build on it instead of the constant moving.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hard to argue with that. Co-signed in full. I know Star and Coast City are West Coast but they don't get enough love of late and the Arrow TV show has forever harmed Star City by making Seattle his home for a generation of fans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like all of your ideas. I think DC should make Gateway City a suburb of Washington D.C. and that would be a win/win.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

True it could work as an area people call the Gateway. I did have the idea that mirrors is one way people travel to different dimensions. We could also get transformation Island. That maybe Diana finds a place to send her enemies

I'm with Ami and Matthew, again, and agreeing with Gaius, also. Unless a writer is going to settle Diana in a new, fictional city, featuring numerous or one, very relevant, iconic place or thing inside it, ..there really wouldn't be much point to it, at all.

Matt, Mizuno and George favor settling Diana in Gateway City and seeing it created, as a sort of supernatural port city, with space portals, hell-mouths and supernatural characters settling down and passing through, ..creating endless trouble for its #1 Immigrant, Wonder Woman. While I love the way that plays on the immigrant story aspect of Diana's comic origins, I would add a super-real, cartoonishly absurd military presence - over-sized tanks, planes, CANNONS, marble and bronze monuments, huge, hi-tech weapons - that would be visible, throughout the city, typically in the background. Combining them makes Diana's iconic city, the DCU's official X-files capital, ..opening a narrative playdate space for mystically supernatural, sci-fi and other generally weird DC characters to drop by and interact with the Wonderverse!

That means Hawkman, Doctor Fate, Zatanna, the New Gods, the Challengers of the Unknown, Night Force, Starfire, Sargon the Sorcerer, ARGUS and others. If Diana's iconic city doesn't come, fully loaded with lots of wonderfully mismatched strangeness, like time-lost, classical Amazons, why should anyone emotionally or intellectually invest in it, enough to demand its use in WW stories - to see it, again!

A new Gateway City could feature a domed, Capitol-like ARGUS citadel, at its center. Would Gateway's history, as a Magic City, or Brian Azzarello's association of Diana, with horror fantasy, be sufficiently motivating for James Tynion to return her to Gateway, in his JLD stories? With the Terrifics is using it, I think team-ups with a relocated Diana would be really fun to read.

Matt, did you forget Sensations Comics hero, Mister Terrific, is also a Gateway City resident?

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-03-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: graphic
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

So what about transformation island. In Gateway or somewhere else?

I'm so sick of the 'Bold new directions' that I almost don't mind, if Wonder woman is written as a Drifter, like Wolverine or the Hulk.

I think what Diana needs is a small family of supporting characters that readers can emotionally invest in. So... Diana, Etta and Mala, with Steve, wandering the world, getting into adventures-- that works for me. I would like to see them settle into an iconic city, from which writers could launch her stories, period...

And Gateway City would be fine, for that.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-06-2020 at 03:43 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Has any writer ever made the name of Gateway City into more than just a name? Such as it being a "gateway" to some mystical realms like Heaven, Hell, Gem World, etc.?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

No. This is why I and others think it should be just that. That it should be a portal city. If we have to make Diana live in Boston or D.C that's okay. Because it could be a nickname for mythical creatures who live there. The most important question is what will Diana do? We don't see her hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Has any writer ever made the name of Gateway City into more than just a name? Such as it being a "gateway" to some mystical realms like Heaven, Hell, Gem World, etc.?
    I think that's what it was, conceptually at least, when the Spectre lived there.

Why not have it be both. Boston or D.C but Diana takes a portal that’s near the city and she gets to see a new different version of the real city. The question is Mirrors or something else for the portals ?