Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She's an ambassador. The antiquities thing only applies to the movies where she is also a war veteran.
    Well, ..back to dreary, little Georgetown or Gateway, if she's a diplomat. If you launch her stories from her condo, I guess it doesn't really matter, where she lives, ..but, isn't the whole idea to make where-she-lives matter, some way?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Well, ..back to dreary, little Georgetown or Gateway, if she's a diplomat.
    Why would she be living in Georgetown or Gateway if she's a diplomat?

If you launch her stories from her condo, I guess it doesn't really matter, where she lives, ..but, isn't the whole idea to make where-she-lives matter, some way?
    What is this supposed to mean? How does making her a diplomat mean where she is living doesn't matter?

DCU's Georgetown is where she lived, for most of the Bronze Age (70s) and all of Gail Simone's run, ..and it's where Greg Rucka located Etta's townhouse. It's based on the real-life Georgetown District of Washington, DC. Diana lived there, ..before Steve built her that hideous thing on the beach, in fictional Ocean City, VA.

Gateway City was mentioned in the OP, as a fictional city we should reconsider, as Diana's home and the location for a NEW embassy. So, that's where she's...it's the topic.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-02-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I don't like the portal idea for Gateway, though I know it has several proponents. I don't perceive/prefer Diana as a broadly magical hero of post-COIE. Greek mythological figures - yes. Any other magic - no. For me, I prefer her involved in the "real world." That can be any city, IMO, but I want it to mostly be an ordinary city.

I do think she needs to be urban or suburban, rather than isolated, simply because you need characters for stories. Probably a reason Clark left the farm and moved to town for Superboy. And she doesn't even have superhearing to know what's going on miles away and fly there.

I'm not even sure Diana, as I see her, should want to live around city people or urban types. I imagine her choosing to live somewhere, surrounded by mountains and crystal-clear lakes and plain-spoken, unpretentious, outdoorsy people, ..like Etta Candy used to be. Perhaps, your 'gateway city' should be in the American West or Southwest, like Texas, Arizona or Colorado, ..less urban, than Gotham or Metropolis.
    Well, that's judgemental. I don't know that she'd have much in common with rural or city people of the United States - she comes from a completely different culture - but I think she'd be willing to reach out and form connections with many types of people. Not all types, but many.

I live in Washington, DC, and I truthfully can't imagine why Diana would go from life on Paradise island, to any place, as self-important, as DC.
    You don't think Paradise Island the people of Paradise Island were kind of self-important? I like old-school Amazons, but they definitely thought their society was the peak of perfection (as did Marston, I suppose), and Diana had more interest in teaching the people of man's world than learning from them. They definitely regarded themselves as superior, in any event.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't like the portal idea for Gateway, though I know it has several proponents. I don't perceive/prefer Diana as a broadly magical hero of post-COIE. Greek mythological figures - yes. Any other magic - no. For me, I prefer her involved in the "real world." That can be any city, IMO, but I want it to mostly be an ordinary city.

I do think she needs to be urban or suburban, rather than isolated, simply because you need characters for stories. Probably a reason Clark left the farm and moved to town for Superboy. And she doesn't even have superhearing to know what's going on miles away and fly there.

Well, that's judgemental. I don't know that she'd have much in common with rural or city people of the United States - she comes from a completely different culture - but I think she'd be willing to reach out and form connections with many types of people. Not all types, but many.

You don't think Paradise Island the people of Paradise Island were kind of self-important? I like old-school Amazons, but they definitely thought their society was the peak of perfection (as did Marston, I suppose), and Diana had more interest in teaching the people of man's world than learning from them. They definitely regarded themselves as superior, in any event.
    I imagine Diana growing up, outside of the Amazon capitol, in a great hunting lodge full of love, smoked meat and the laughter of women - not sitting on a pillow, waiting for policy lessons, in a moldy, old marble temple!

In basic, Diana, while being a princess, grows up in a combo health resort/armed camp/hunting lodge, who leaves all of that to protect Man's World from conquest, by beings like Queen Clea, Darkseid, Per Degaton, Vandal Savage and the new JLD Circe. I just can't imagine she would be anything, but infuriated, by urban people, pre-occupied with material acquisition, impressing and one-upping each other, mass consumption, gluttony, fashion ..and six-pack abs! No, no, no...not Wonder Woman! I think, when you phase out the military elements, which were introduced at the beginning of World War II, Wonder Woman's story takes a different turn, in Man's World. Maybe, she even becomes a slightly different character, ..and I think that her iconic city should reflect that.

I have no doubt that big, important, Northeastern cities would be places, Diana would be very interested in keeping an eye on - monitoring, at a distance. I just don't see why in Hades she should ever [Ever!] want to live in one of them. For this reason, I think it's fair to consider how Diana might do, in a big, important city, out in the less-celebrated American West, surrounded by mountains, canyons, wide, open spaces and wildlife ..and mystery. Again, she can live out here and hang out with cool, unpretentious, outdoorsy folks, like Etta and Zola ..and Artemis, where her adventures can unfold on a scenic stage, unspoiled by man and modernity, ..and still monitor the cities on her new, Magic LapSphere.

Maybe, this Gateway could be something different, than the last.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-03-2020 at 05:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

Wait i thought she always had super hearing & superhuman senses? Could've sworn ive seen scans. In the movies she knew cyborg was at the grave park somewhere & even looked in his direction & he was very far away behind a tree i think
    Last edited by Mysterious; 11-03-2020 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Wait i thought she always had super hearing & superhuman senses? Could've sworn ive seen scans. In the movies she knew cyborg was at the grave park somewhere & even looked in his direction & he was very far away behind a tree i think
    She certainly didn't always. Or at least, she didn't seem to in old stuff. I admit that I haven't read nearly all her stuff, but I don't recall her hearing stuff miles (or tens or hundreds of miles) away. Though, of course, Superman didn't at first, either.

For the record, the wiki has enhanced hearing listed for her post-COIE and silver age versions, but not golden age, so I guess it's pretty old.

She did have some level of super hearing. Has she got hear though thick walls. With Gateway she can live within a real city. But Gateway can be a nickname for one part of the town.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    She did have some level of super hearing. Has she got hear though thick walls. With Gateway she can live within a real city. But Gateway can be a nickname for one part of the town.
    I can see her, back in Byrne's Gateway...

Diana resides in a penthouse in the Marston Building - with communications, training room, arsenal, apartments, etc - reached exclusively by her Invisible Jet, which is docked just outside. She sometimes retreats to Paradise Island in the Bermuda Triangle, to confer with her mother, Queen Hippolyta, while Mala, her closest Amazon confidante, watches over her home. Her life in Gateway is funded with gold from the Amazon Treasury, bequeathed to him by the Queen of the Amazons.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-04-2020 at 03:31 AM.