Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why not have it be both. Boston or D.C but Diana takes a portal that’s near the city and she gets to see a new different version of the real city. The question is Mirrors or something else for the portals ?
    I think you might as well just put the portal network in Boston or Washington.

What would a portal network look like for you? I mean she could live in both. Like Paradise Island ambassador is in D.C and her home is in Boston. From time to time she lives in D.C if it has to deal with Paradise Island matters

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think you might as well just put the portal network in Boston or Washington.
    If a writer is going to introduce an iconic, fictional city, this late in the game, the writer would have to put something important, here, ..like a dramatic-looking ARGUS headquarters, memorable or amusing locals, the space portals being discussed or a dramatic-looking house for Diana. I imagine a Kanigher's department store, filled with merchandise inspired by WW's weird, Silver Age comic, ..or an ARGUS Central citadel, inspired by the U.S. Capitol, ..but sporting a giant, laser-shooting eye, on the dome! It's either got to be something so unbelievable, that fans will demand it made a permanent feature of the comic, ..or something relevant to Wonder Woman's mythos or mission, I think.

Not Boston. Please, please, please...not Boston.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-19-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Not Boston. Please, please, please...not Boston.
    Boston is not the worst thing to happen to Wonder Woman. I don't see why you hate it so much yet defend Gateway. The only memorable thing about the latter was its name and it wasn't even created for the Wonder Woman book. It's a city for the Spectre.

Boston’s at least associated with a well-regarded run at least.

I am sure Boston is a fine enough place and didn't mean to pick on Z or trivialize his favoring Boston. I just don't like Boston and haven't heard anything good about it, since Crispus Attucks and the bloody Tea Party. Though, I do have a cousin, who lives there; so...

Some of our more well-travelled, fellow Americans call it Faux London, by the way...in times past, Poor Man's London.

Anyway, I am in agreement with Z, on one thing - Gateway's not really Diana's city. While I don't mind her being on the West Coast, since that's where Carter's show left her, I would like to see Diana's home named 'Marston City' or 'Holliday City', ..if only because they would be hard for fans to forget and, maybe, as hard for writers to ignore. I think fans would bug WW writers to death, with, "What happened to Marston City, with the ARGUS laser-dome, the giant tanks and cannons in the streets, Desira's Venusian Coffee and that weird department store? Where is it?"

And that would be it.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-19-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

We can have both. Gateway city can simply be a secret passage within D.C or Boston. That she is living in the real city. I mean with what should be in the city at least one or two of her villains should live there. The Paradise Island center . You know Learning about the Amazons. Argus. I feel maybe if they are going to be in there should be some type of magical Division. Marston university.

We can have both. Gateway city can simply be a secret passage within D.C or Boston. That she is living in the real city. I mean with what should be in the city at least one or two of her villains should live there. The Paradise Island center . You know Learning about the Amazons. Argus. I feel maybe if they are going to be in there should be some type of magical Division. Marston university.
    At the most, City X would be the backdrop for subplots, unfolding, while Diana was bouncing around, in a chess universe. I don't think it would play the same role in WW stories that Metropolis or Gotham do, in Superman's and batman's. I guess Gateway is, as good a name or place, as any other. However, since the only reason she was ever based in DC, was World War II and her boyfriend's military career, ..both of which are over, ..I see no reason she should remain there or its dreary stand-in, Boston.

Gateway doesn't have to be as quirky, as I imagined Marston City, ..but should be memorable, in some way that reminds us, who its most celebrated citizen is. Truthfully, I'm not even sure that a big, urban locale fits Wonder Woman, anyway.

Could Gateway City be in the mountains of the Southwest? Somewhere earthy and elemental, full of history and natural magic...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-20-2020 at 02:17 AM.

The way I think Gateway is written that humans and mythical creatures live together. Has to where it is. I’m going to borrow what paradise island is. They technically can exist where they want. They are a pocket dimension.

The way I think Gateway is written that humans and mythical creatures live together. Has to where it is. I’m going to borrow what paradise island is. They technically can exist where they want. They are a pocket dimension.
    Mizuno, you know we have been musing this 'gateway city' idea for a long time. My vision differs from yours, only in that I favor expanding the variety of the citizens to include gods or celestials, extra-terrestrials, magical realm creatures, time-travelers and other oddballers. This bizarre population would justify the presence of ARGUS and US military intel, on a scale we haven't seen, anywhere...ever, ..creating the X-files Capital of the DCU! This makes it uniquely thematic and iconic, and I think that's important.

Keep in mind that Gateway City, like Artemis, Adjudicator, I Ching and Fury, has been vultured-out of the WW comic and established, as Mister Terrific and the Terrifics' iconic city, ..and I hate that. One way of discouraging that might be, in addition to its quirky citizenry, ..to fill it with visual and narrative features, unique to or exclusively relevant to the Wonderverse. Space portals, a stylized ARGUS hq/office, unique landmarks or monuments, Desira's Venusian Coffee, Diana's iconic residence, etc, ..all of which combine to make Gateway officially Wonder Woman's city--uniquely iconic, in the minds of all fans. Without that signaturization of Gateway, it's just one more city to be vultured-out for use in other comics...

One more stolen Wonderverse element.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-21-2020 at 07:15 AM.

I don’t mind if Gods live there I did have an idea Athena and Circe live there but there live in a spot that’s in a weird area. That exist in and out of Gateway. Like it’s more like a jungle or forest city

I don’t mind if Gods live there I did have an idea Athena and Circe live there but there live in a spot that’s in a weird area. That exist in and out of Gateway. Like it’s more like a jungle or forest city
    I'm not even sure Diana, as I see her, should want to live around city people or urban types. I imagine her choosing to live somewhere, surrounded by mountains and crystal-clear lakes and plain-spoken, unpretentious, outdoorsy people, ..like Etta Candy used to be. Perhaps, your 'gateway city' should be in the American West or Southwest, like Texas, Arizona or Colorado, ..less urban, than Gotham or Metropolis.

I live in Washington, DC, and I truthfully can't imagine why Diana would go from life on Paradise island, to any place, as self-important, as DC.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-30-2020 at 06:20 PM.

I'm not even sure Diana, as I see her, should want to live around city people or urban types. I imagine her choosing to live somewhere, surrounded by mountains and crystal-clear lakes and plain-spoken, unpretentious, outdoorsy people, ..like Etta Candy used to be. Perhaps, your 'gateway city' should be in the American West or Southwest, like Texas, Arizona or Colorado, ..less urban, than Gotham or Metropolis.

I live in Washington, DC, and I truthfully can't imagine why Diana would go from life on Paradise island, to any place, as self-important, as DC.
    Because she isn't judgemental.

The iconic 'gateway city' could be relocated to the Colorado Rockies, Arizona ..or Wyoming or anywhere, really. The only reason we imagine Wonder Woman would be interested in getting anywhere near the military or politics, is because of World War II and Steve's military career. With Diana, an independent adventurer and antiquities expert, Steve could join her adventures, as an ex-USAF civilian pilot, whose military connections and training make him a useful ally - not because he's her boyfriend. Modern technology would allow Diana to keep an eye on the world, from anywhere she chose to be.

Diana's iconic city doesn't need to be another generic, Northeastern city, full of self-important intellectuals and hip, fast-talking urban types. Getting her away from this scene opens up a whole new tone for how Diana relates to the world and the people she surrounds herself with - a wild, cowgirl Etta clashing with orderly, disciplined Mala, a Steve with a new focus AND a melodramatic past, ..some NEW, amusing friends, an iconic mountain city, dominated by an X-filesy ARGUS ..and supernatural townsfolk, from the strangest places, imaginable!

I think the spectre of world war and military has dominated this title, for long enough. With ARGUS in the background, Wonder Woman can finally be defined by something other, than Greek mythology and Steve's career in the U.S. Military, ..in a narrative that revolves around her mission, at the center. That said, the new city should express something iconic about Wonder Woman, as a fearless, freedom-loving Amazon, ..in the way that Gotham does Batman, and Metropolis does Superman.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-02-2020 at 10:07 AM.

The only reason we imagine Wonder Woman would be interested in getting anywhere near the military or politics, is because of World War II and Steve's military career. With Diana, an independent adventurer and antiquities expert, Steve could retain his military connections, as a civilian pilot, ..and the 'gateway city' could be relocated to the Colorado Rockies, Arizona or Wyoming.

Diana's iconic city doesn't need to be another generic, Northeastern city, full of self-important intellectuals and hip, fast-talking urban types.
    She's an ambassador. The antiquities thing only applies to the movies where she is also a war veteran.