Default What are the worst/biggest spoilers you've ever seen in a trailer?

Spoilers, obviously.

Yep, we're numb to the fact that trailers often give away the best parts of the movie before they even premiere. But what are some of the worst offenders?

I remember reading about the fan outrage of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, for the trailer showing the self-destruction of the Enterprise. The cast and crew were furious at the marketing team for that one.

But of course, there are much more recent, and more shameless, examples. What are yours?

Sixthyn Sense. "I see dead people". To me this the bigger revelation than the twist ending. You spend half the movie not knowing what is happening with the kid, until he tells his mom this. Next time you watch this movie, watch for how the mystery is built up until this point. A needless spoil of a plot.

But the biggest spoiler that ruined a movie goes to The Truman Show. The first half of it is not knowing what the hell is going on except people may be spying on Jim Carry. The reveal that
    spoilers:
    it's a TV show is mind blowing
    end of spoilers,
    except it's not since they ruined the single biggest plot point in the whole movie.

I stayed away from trailers for Star Trek III, it was still spoiled in a Burger King commercial showing an "Enterprise Destroyed" free promo cup.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-02-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The Goldeneye trailer gave up the Janus=006 reveal right away, with even the narration revealing it! Going further back, the FYEO trailer also spoiled that Kristatos was the bad guy, not Columbo as the movie initially makes you believe.

Although the movies generally aren't that well liked, the TWINE and DAD trailers didn't give away that Elektra was the real villain and that Graves was Colonel Moon, presumably because they learned their lessons from Goldeneye. With TND I don't think it was necessary because it's quite clear that Carver's the villain within the first twenty minutes of the film.

Although not a trailer, the soundtrack for the Phantom Menace-released a few weeks before the film-has a track titled "Qui-gon's funeral". Oops.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

This is television instead of a movie. But the previews of the next week's episode is equivalent to a trailer.

I was watching a Hulk episode. Right at the beginning of the episode I was watching, there's a synopsis that originally aired at the beginning that tells you every major plot point.

I remember that, back in those days, I would actually plug my ears and only watch out of my peripheral vision for the first 30 seconds and do likewise during the preview of the next week's episode for that very reason.

spoilers:
    Basically, in the episode, "The First", the preview gives away that the other creature is not who you think it is but another guy. In fact, in the episode, Act II ends on the big reveal of the guy saying he is the one who becomes the other creature. But they show that scene in the preview, giving away something that is supposed to be a surprise halfway through the first hour.
    end of spoilers
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Dad used to do the same thing with Kojak, which would merrily spoil half the episode at the start. I fact I think this was a common tactic in the 70's and 80's to keep you watching stuff.

BVS's decision to reveal Doomsday so quickly in the trailers felt stupid to me, especially given he wasn't overly well designed.

Spiderman in Civil War. Us die hard fans who follow every bit of news. We knew he was showing up and the actor they casted. But the General audience didn't and they spoiled it in the final trailer. I understand why, Spider-man increased hype, he's Marvel biggest character.

Staying on Theme Mystique death in Dark Phoenix. Didnt care for the movie either way but the trailer pretty much spoiled it. It was so obvious that's what happened I was sure going in it would be a fake out.... it wasnt.

Extraordinary Member

Terminator Genesys trailer, giving away that John Connor is now a half-machine evil terminator.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    This is television instead of a movie. But the previews of the next week's episode is equivalent to a trailer.

I was watching a Hulk episode. Right at the beginning of the episode I was watching, there's a synopsis that originally aired at the beginning that tells you every major plot point.

I remember that, back in those days, I would actually plug my ears and only watch out of my peripheral vision for the first 30 seconds and do likewise during the preview of the next week's episode for that very reason.

spoilers:
    Basically, in the episode, "The First", the preview gives away that the other creature is not who you think it is but another guy. In fact, in the episode, Act II ends on the big reveal of the guy saying he is the one who becomes the other creature. But they show that scene in the preview, giving away something that is supposed to be a surprise halfway through the first hour.
    end of spoilers
    Eh, I'll allow television, because then it lets me talk about the s2 finale for seaQuest. The boat is tractor beamed off the planet and transported to an alien waterworks (...).

NBC: WILL THE SEAQUEST SURVIVE THIS VOYAGE?

*Commercial shows an alien torpedo slamming straight through the seaQuest, sinking her*

Me: Wellp.

"Castaway" - trailer shows that he gets off the island
    "What Lies Beneath" - revealed that Harrison Ford was having an affair and that there really was a ghost. The movie itself kept what exactly was happening in doubt for maybe 2/3 of it and the trailer immediately throws suspicion on Harrison Ford when the movie does nothing to make you think he's suspicious until the end, as it was supposed to be a big reveal.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-05-2020 at 09:29 AM.

The Prometheus trailer showed the Prometheus colliding with the alien spaceship at the very end and exploding. Sadly, the trailer did not manage to spoiler how terrible the film was, as that would have saved us a lot of trouble.

Incredible Member

The trailer for Rocky IV blowing the spoiler that Apollo Creed dies.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom spoiled the whole twist about the dinosaur rescue and the auction in its trailer.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)