Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What is The General Consensus on Bendis' X-Men ?

I have been making my way through most of the major runs on X-Men from the 00's (Morrison, Whedon, Carey, Fraction) and I'm about to start Gillen. I know Bendis comes next, what do people think about it ?

entertaining. great art. not enough diversity but some. circular story. pretty meaningless. fun. not timeless. oh phone so short rather than typo correcting.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue22 View Post
    I have been making my way through most of the major runs on X-Men from the 00's (Morrison, Whedon, Carey, Fraction) and I'm about to start Gillen. I know Bendis comes next, what do people think about it ?
    Had a decent start, but fizzled out; the 05 never had enough material to stay for the long, and Uncanny ended with one the worst arcs of all time. It seemed to be the case he just lost interest, but Hickman last year implied he was kind forced to leave, probably because of the whole Inhumans/Cyclops is Hitler thing which comes after the era (which you should skip). In summary, it's not the worst run ever by a long shot, but nowhere near the best either, so I wouldn't say it's a must read, though Immonem's art almost makes it unmissable.

Boring and shallow. Not good.

Extraordinary Member

IF you can stand to read Bendis and are reading this for free or something, go for it. Most of the issues are quick reads and as others mention it had some of the better artists on it at the time.

stormshade.jpg

Ioioioiiioi
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

The OP is about to read a run and may not know anything about it, I would try not to spoil big stories just in case.

I read most of it, and it didn't blow me away. It's fine imo, just average. I preferred Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron which ran at the same time. That didn't push the envelope either, but I thought it was a lot of fun.

Man, I miss the Bendis that gave us Daredevil!

Wasted potential is the best summation I can come up with. Bendis started out of the gate incredibly strong, then seemed to lose interest, and in the Last Will and Testament arc, didnt even seem to be able to rouse himself enough giveadamn to even phone it in.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Wasted potential is the best summation I can come up with. Bendis started out of the gate incredibly strong, then seemed to lose interest, and in the Last Will and Testament arc, didnt even seem to be able to rouse himself enough giveadamn to even phone it in.
    Like I said, one of Hickman's interviews last year (saying he remembered pretty well the day Bendis decided to leave the X-men) kinda implied editorial had a lot to do with it.

It's a mixed bag

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Had a decent start, but fizzled out; the 05 never had enough material to stay for the long, and Uncanny ended with one the worst arcs of all time. It seemed to be the case he just lost interest, but Hickman last year implied he was kind forced to leave, probably because of the whole Inhumans/Cyclops is Hitler thing which comes after the era (which you should skip). In summary, it's not the worst run ever by a long shot, but nowhere near the best either, so I wouldn't say it's a must read, though Immonem's art almost makes it unmissable.
    I don't really care for the O5 as a concept, but revolutionary Cyclops seems like an interesting idea, shame it seems it does not go anywhere.

They are fine. Worse than what came before, better than what came after. Good ideas and terrible moments like Xavier's Last Will.

Better than Wolverine and the X-Men but not by much.

BANNED

He clearly had no direction or endpoint in mind, so the series tended to meander and be about nothing often, but I like that he gave Teen Jean a bit of bite.

The overall concept was dumb, imo, and I would mandate an end to time travel stories in Marvel if I could.

The art was usually really good.

That's about it.

It was actually the first X-Men run that I read from beginning to end, so at the time I found it entertaining and liked some of the character work but looking back it's pretty shallow. It wastes a lot of potential that the franchise had considering this was the first time mutants weren't about to go extinct in a decade.