Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I agree that there was unrealized potential but I think the same about Gillen's run. I found Bendis' issues enjoyable to read. He wrote a great version of Jean, delivered solid fan service in a few issues, and the art was awesome.

Not good, I say

It's not great but is good. My main problem with Bendis run is that he kind of wastes the amazing plot that Gillen left at the end of his run and AvX: Consequences.

In the end is an ok run that looks good when compared with Aaron awful W&TX, that shit was horrible.

bendis x-men is like long sex where when your fingers get slammed by the microwave door every few minutes it feels amazing and then between that you're just kind of spanking a potted cactus with short needles
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

O.o What kind of metaph- You know what, nevermind.

Anyway I was not a fan at all tbh. Not only do I dislike his writing style, but he makes blatant shock value twists which hurt the characters. Does no one remember the stupid Mystique and Xavier reveal? Ugh. Iceman coming out is fine but it was handled extremely poorly. The Dazzler and Mystique plot which basically went nowhere.

The 05 coming back in general was imho top 5 worst story arcs in X-Men. Twice the redundancy at a time when lots of X-characters didn't have a book. I do not miss it at all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    They are fine. Worse than what came before, better than what came after. Good ideas and terrible moments like Xavier's Last Will.

Better than Wolverine and the X-Men but not by much.
    I echo this. Bendis isn't really good at team books but his 05 were interesting especially his Jean. He has some interesting Concepts like bringing the 05 to the Future so they can witness what their present selves did and making Cyclops and those who supported him "revolutionaries" but the major problem is none of these Concepts went anywhere they all just fizzled out in the end it really had no lasting staying power besides Iceman coming out as gay.
    Last edited by loke13; 10-03-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    It's not great but is good. My main problem with Bendis run is that he kind of wastes the amazing plot that Gillen left at the end of his run and AvX: Consequences.
    Yes the premise was really awesome and at first, cast was limited so there was good amount of paneltime for individual characters. I liked the tense interaction between 'white hats' and 'black hats' brand X-men. But I think it quickly lost the plot, some of it was resolved too quickly, some dragged on way too long and some stuff should have never been written.
    But there was plenty of fun times in between and as a whole, I think the good outweighted the bad. Not everyone does and it's ok.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

They are fine. Worse than what came before, better than what came after. Good ideas and terrible moments like Xavier's Last Will.

Better than Wolverine and the X-Men but not by much.
    Bendis' X-men is not really great if you're really look at it, but it ends up looking wonderful compared to the complete and utter horrorshow with no redeeming qualities that came after.

It's basically the Obama of X-men runs.

Matthew Malloy stuff aside, it was amazing and the best X-content at the time of release

All-New Member

It has some good moments and some good ideas but its not up to the standard of Gillen, Morrison, Hickman etc

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Bendis' X-men is not really great if you're really look at it, but it ends up looking wonderful compared to the complete and utter horrorshow with no redeeming qualities that came after.

It's basically the Obama of X-men runs.
    I must say that I really like the final issue of his run. Cyclops moment in Washington is very potent and it is satisfying to see the X-Men do a collective intervention on Beast and his bullshit.

I think the problem with some arcs at the end is that they forced him to fill in to #600 and he had no idea how to do it. With some current Spencer arcs in Spider-man it gives the same feeling, the editorial becomes so obsessed with making the round numbers something important that can damage the pace of a comic a lot.

I must say that I really like the final issue of his run. Cyclops moment in Washington is very potent and it is satisfying to see the X-Men do a collective intervention on Beast and his bullshit.

I think the problem with some arcs at the end is that they forced him to fill in to #600 and he had no idea how to do it. With some current Spencer arcs in Spider-man it gives the same feeling, the editorial becomes so obsessed with making the round numbers something important that can damage the pace of a comic a lot.
    Marvel didnt force him to stay and release filler issues to arbitrarily get to 600. UXM 600 was always going to happen and h originally was going to stay beyond that. Secret Wars happened though and it seemed like the perfect end point for his run since Marvel was planning to soft reboot the entire line. With that context in mind, Bendis approached the final issues differently. Those issues werent filler but rather him dealing with the characters, dangling plotlines he had and giving them resolution, which he did for the most part. I will say that the lead up to #600 were some of the best issues he had written, especially the Goldballs one featuring the X-kids

Fantastic Member

It had potential, good start but then got progressively worse and didn't go anywhere. Great art. So I would say it's neither good nor bad, just incredibly average and not a "must-read".

He did make Jean Grey relevant again after so many years and set the stage for her eventual return, so as a Jean fan I'm thankfull for that.

I hate the concept of the O5 so I was pretty indifferent to the whole run but it does give Jean some agency and a drive of her own something the character hadn't had since the 90's. It had some fun interactions but all the threads it started lead nowhere (like Bunn's uncanny)

I enjoyed most of the ride... the problem was that nothing he did ended up mattering or sticking. Except gay Iceman. Which is a plot that I still hate to this day. To make matters worse, it can’t be undone without a huge backlash....